PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Help Required.

justine
07-Feb-08, 19:07
Well as we have a garden plot for our veg, we are thinking about getting a few hen so we can have fresh eggs..Are there any experts out on the org who can point us in the right direction to having happy chickens...We dont want a cockeral full time as we live in the town...Is there anyway we can have layers and mate the hens with a cockeral which belongs to someone else....Any hints would be great.I have gone through the web but cant find any helpful sites..And i know i can most of the answers on here. Thanks

Sapphire2803
08-Feb-08, 23:47
Is there any particular reason you want to mate them?
We currently have 4 hens just for the eggs. They are all related to Houdini and they believe that free range means over the fence, up on the roof, out in the road and if they get half a chance they're in the kitchen. I would definitely recommend Allans of Gillock for layers, they put an ad in the groat when they're getting hens in.

unicorn
08-Feb-08, 23:50
are you allowed hens in a built up area?

justine
09-Feb-08, 00:17
These are the kind of questions that i am looking for answers to.I will be checking up with the council about whether we are allowed to keep them here.
I am trying to get as much info from people who have chickens.We are trying to go as self sufficient as we can and having egg layers will help.They would be in a large enclousre that they cant get out of, and in the hen house at night..

I always research things before a decision is made, which i believe is sensible.So any help would be great....

Sapphire2803
09-Feb-08, 00:43
Well, provided you're allowed to have them.....
I personally wouldn't buy a 'proper' henhouse as they're mega expensive. As long as they have shelter, inside that they'll need something to roost on at night, a wooden broom handle seems to please our hens well enough, somewhere to lay eggs, a box with fresh straw in is perfect, make sure it's not under their perch though. You can buy layers pellets from Geddes' in Wick and they'll need grit so that you don't get soft shelled eggs.
They really don't take a lot of looking after. There's loads of info here (http://www.backyardchickens.com/) and the site is tailored for people who live in town.
Hope this helps :)

justine
09-Feb-08, 21:14
Well, provided you're allowed to have them.....
I personally wouldn't buy a 'proper' henhouse as they're mega expensive. As long as they have shelter, inside that they'll need something to roost on at night, a wooden broom handle seems to please our hens well enough, somewhere to lay eggs, a box with fresh straw in is perfect, make sure it's not under their perch though. You can buy layers pellets from Geddes' in Wick and they'll need grit so that you don't get soft shelled eggs.
They really don't take a lot of looking after. There's loads of info here (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.backyardchickens.com/) and the site is tailored for people who live in town.
Hope this helps :)

Thanks very much for the info.I still have a lot of homework to do before we decide if we go ahead with it.But will keep all your sugestions in mind...