PDA

View Full Version : Now I know I'm over the hill.....!

Angela
07-Feb-08, 16:56
Yesterday I called in at the bank to change to a different current account and open a new savings account at the same time.

The employee dealing with my query looked about 13, though obviously he couldn't have been. Still, it didn't look as if he required a razor to remove the delicate fluff adorning his chin. That did make me feel rather ancient! :eek:

I knew which accounts I wanted to change to as I'd looked them up online, and indeed I wanted an online savings account.

The young man looked at me in an anxious and concerned fashion. "Are you....um....erm....are you comfortable with online banking?" he asked.

Any other more mature Orgers had this kind of depressing experience lately? :confused

Thumper
07-Feb-08, 17:01
Aww Angela! What a shame,but he probably asks everybody over the age of 30 the same question :eek: so dont worry about it! I have never had that happen but when I was in Canada I was asked to prove I was over 21(they can ask if they think you dont look 30) and I was 32 at the time so I was well chuffed,infact i went back to that store every day just for the ego boost ;) x

Angela
07-Feb-08, 17:05
Aww Angela! What a shame,but he probably asks everybody over the age of 30 the same question so dont worry about it! I have never had that happen but when I was in Canada I was asked to prove I was over 21(they can ask if they think you dont look 30) and I was 32 at the time so I was well chuffed,infact i went back to that store every day just for the ego boost x

My roots do need touching up, Thumps, but still! :eek:

I suppose it does work both ways -my daughter's 27 and she was asked just recently for proof of age when buying an over 18 DVD... she wasn't sure if she should be pleased or not! :confused

j4bberw0ck
07-Feb-08, 17:21
Not quite so depressing......

A lady I used to work with at a former employer - mid-fifties, intelligent, vivacious, very attractive - was startled at a post-conference dinner to feel a hand plant itself gently on her left buttock as she waited in the crowd at the bar to be served. She turned round and found a 21 year old who'd recently joined the company, first conference, too much drink, looking longingly at her.

She had to work hard, she said, to look indignant because he looked so utterly harmless, and it'd been a long time since anyone had done that........ :lol:

Perhaps the flip side of the coin, Angela!

Angela
07-Feb-08, 17:53
Thank you for that ray of hope, j'w0ck! ;)

It's not so much that I thought it was a comment on my appearance (tho' maybe it was!) more that the minute they see on their screen that you're -shock, horror! -over 50! - they seem to assume you're utterly incapable.

I had much the same experience with a woman conducting a survey on behalf of the council who I'd given my age to - she promptly asked me what I thought of "services for the elderly" !! :eek:

Beside, even if I was in my 80s rather than my 50s -why assume I wouldn't be able and willing to bank online?

badger
07-Feb-08, 18:17
It could have been sexist rather than ageist as I fear, even in this day and age, there are men who assume women don't "do" computers or anything remotely techy. I know someone recently who was told by a helpline that maybe she should wait until her husband got home. Since she is probably a great deal more IT competent than the idiot she was talking to, he got short shrift.

Maybe you should have asked him if he was comfortable dealing with complicated things like bank accounts ;) .

anneoctober
07-Feb-08, 19:07
[quote=Angela;335894]Yesterday I called in at the bank to change to a different current account and open a new savings account at the same time.

The employee dealing with my query looked about 13, though obviously he couldn't have been. Still, it didn't look as if he required a razor to remove the delicate fluff adorning his chin. That did make me feel rather ancient!

I knew which accounts I wanted to change to as I'd looked them up online, and indeed I wanted an online savings account.

The young man looked at me in an anxious and concerned fashion. "Are you....um....erm....are you comfortable with online banking?" he asked.

Any other more mature Orgers had this kind of depressing experience lately? /quote]

My experience Angela was delightful, though me OH was n't so chuffed! Around 5 years ago, we were on holiday in the borders and fancied having having a look in the "Toy Museum". Geo was looking around the toys they had for sale while I went to pay for our admission tickets, I had to force back the impulse to laugh when the lady said " Its £4 for yourself my dear and £2 for your FATHER"..........:eek:[lol]....RESULT!!!

poppett
07-Feb-08, 20:05
At B&Q as hubbie was about to hit 60 asked for their discount card for 10% off on a Wednesday. Cashier handed it to me and I said thanks and went to walk away. Just fill it in just now my dear and save some time. I pointed out the card was for my husband who is 15 years older than I am, but she did not seem impressed. A few weeks later I was in on a Wednesday on my own as hubbie wasn`t well and she said use your discount card my dear......it`s coffin dodgers discount day! I almost died laughing as this woman looked about 80!

Whitewater
07-Feb-08, 20:23
Everybody looks surprised when I tell them my age but I'm never sure if it is whether I'm looking older or younger than they expect. I won't ask, I could get a big disappointment.

DeHaviLand
07-Feb-08, 22:14
It could have been sexist rather than ageist as I fear, even in this day and age, there are men who assume women don't "do" computers or anything remotely techy. I know someone recently who was told by a helpline that maybe she should wait until her husband got home. Since she is probably a great deal more IT competent than the idiot she was talking to, he got short shrift.

Maybe you should have asked him if he was comfortable dealing with complicated things like bank accounts ;) .

Hmmm, my first ex-wife(yes, theres more than one) phoned me yesterday to tell me she had a new laptop, and could I give her some help. Of course I could. Query 1. "I cant seem to connect to the internet, what button do I press?" Turns out she doesnt have an ISP
Query 2. "I cant find the off button, so I just pull the plug out, is that ok?"
Query 3. Apart from the internet, can my laptop do anything else?" Its now a handy cd player, thanks to my technical knowhow, patience and understanding:eek:. Bless her!

anneoctober
08-Feb-08, 01:01
Hmmm, my first ex-wife(yes, theres more than one) phoned me yesterday to tell me she had a new laptop, and could I give her some help. Of course I could. Query 1. "I cant seem to connect to the internet, what button do I press?" Turns out she doesnt have an ISP
Query 2. "I cant find the off button, so I just pull the plug out, is that ok?"
Query 3. Apart from the internet, can my laptop do anything else?" Its now a handy cd player, thanks to my technical knowhow, patience and understanding:eek:. Bless her!

DHL you are indeed a prince amongst men, though I DO detect a certain amount of condescension in your last sentence...............[lol]

johno
08-Feb-08, 10:06
Yesterday I called in at the bank to change to a different current account and open a new savings account at the same time.

The employee dealing with my query looked about 13, though obviously he couldn't have been. Still, it didn't look as if he required a razor to remove the delicate fluff adorning his chin. That did make me feel rather ancient! :eek:

Any other more mature Orgers had this kind of depressing experience lately? :confused
dont see why your bothered Angela, Im not comfortable with internet banking. I think it,s open to all kind,s of fraud. i was offered it by my banks but declined because Im not COMFORTABLE with it.

Angela
08-Feb-08, 10:31
dont see why your bothered Angela, Im not comfortable with internet banking. I think it,s open to all kind,s of fraud. i was offered it by my banks but declined because Im not COMFORTABLE with it.

That's a fair point Johno, I know there are risks, but I don't think that's what he meant, he certainly wasn't advising me against it, and anyway I'm still perfectly comfortable with it!

Afterwards you think of all these witty responses you could have come up with -like "you'd be surprised what I'm comfortable with!" ;)...or "I'm not sure I'm comfortable discussing my finances with a mere child!" ....tho' that would have been ageist!:roll:

I think I just find 'comfortable' an irritating word in that context and I was probably annoyed that I didn't think of a good comeback at the time!

neepnipper
08-Feb-08, 10:53
When I was in Argos I was asked for proof that I was over 18 when buying something.

When we have mystery shoppers in at work they usually put me down as being mid twenties (although on the last one I was obviosly not looking my best as they put me at mid thirties!).

I will be 40 in March!

bluelady
08-Feb-08, 14:46
My daughter often gets mistaken for my sister, shes 21 and Im 48, it gets her mad and she say's I hope your insinuating ma mither looks young and not e other way round. But e best one is 3 years ago is when she walked into weatherspoons with her brother and a bar staff asked her if her son is old enough to drink. With a growl through gritted teeth, she hissed, "he's not my son, he's my big brother and he's 20. I keep telling her - too many late nights and boozing, age you quickly,http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/images/smilies/sm2-scold.gif but does she listen ? http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/images/smilies/jpshakehead.gif

oohh Look, Im a half k orger LOL