PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Forum Messaging and Media Manipulation.

Rheghead
22-Oct-05, 18:18
I have always wondered about the merits of posting messages in forums whilst backing up our opinions with media references.

It is very evident to me that for every opinion there is another opposing one.

For every issue there is the Government spin on things.

For every instance there is another conflicting instance that doesn't get publicity.

Also, we often see an 'exception' being peddled by the media as the 'rule' rather than the exception.

We also see non official data sources being ridiculed as cranks, like as if they are to be destined to tell the truth but never to be believed, like Cassandra before the fall of Troy.

We see this all the time with the Iraq War, Global Warming, BSE, disease threats, etc etc

A typical example would be watching a big game of football on TV, try turning the sound off throughout the game then talk about it afterwards to someone who has listened to the commentary. You will have a very good opinion but the other person will just repeat the opnion of another.

So what is the point if all our beliefs are not our own and are just manipulated in the first place?

cullbucket
22-Oct-05, 20:54
This says it all......

Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda ~Noam Chomsky

EDDIE
22-Oct-05, 21:22
Its not so much the government adding spin into debates its generally all polititions are good at spinning and not giving clear and simple awnsers to questions thats politics for you

gleeber
22-Oct-05, 23:33
So what is the point if all our beliefs are not our own and are just manipulated in the first place?

I think yeev been having a philosophical moment Rheghead and If you ever come up with the answer pm me immediatley. :eek:
I dont think it takes a genuis to see how much other peoples stuff effects us. Instant global news is as much a part of our lives as oxygen but Im pretty sure the advantages are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
Tabloid journalism survives because its in the public interest and we the public demand to be fed it. At least thats the excuse of the tabloid journalists. They may be right too.
Theres another theory that most of what we believe is not really our own beliefs anyway but a kind of collective morallity which sort of keeps us in check and protects everyone not only ftom others but from themselves. That could be right too. :confused

Rheghead
23-Oct-05, 09:20
I always get the impression that the news media are trying to scare me into thinking in a certain way, especially with terrorism and food scares.

fred
29-Oct-05, 10:03
I always get the impression that the news media are trying to scare me into thinking in a certain way, especially with terrorism and food scares.

You have to read what the media doesn't say then form an opinion.

Take a look at todays Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1604246,00.html?gusrc=rss

The part where it quotes Bush saying

"Each individual is presumed innocent and entitled to due process and a fair trial."

Try telling that to Jose Padilla.

porshiepoo
29-Oct-05, 10:16
I used to have an opinion then I got married, anyway, Reality is only a figment of your imagination!

We ARE in the matrix :lol: :lol:

Rheghead
29-Oct-05, 11:26
fred, you are right about Bush. If I was him, I would be putting a little distance between Libby and myself or the house of cards may fall. Anyway don't let this thread get drawn on any specific issue.

Since this thread was not just about Media manipulation but also about the art of forum messaging then I would like to see more threads that addressed the issues at topic rather than attacking personally the holder of opinion. Posts that just discuss the topic always seem easier and logical to read. Ad hominems don't really achieve anything and I think they say more about the user than the recipient.