PDA

View Full Version : Disasters at Sea - NOV 1847 - Lybster 7 perished

Tricia
06-Feb-08, 14:25
On Monday morning 22nd November 1847 several boats had been some time at their lines when a gale came on. The immediately left the lines and set sail for shore. Two boats did not make it to the safety of the harbour. One made for Whaligoe where the crew were hauled to safety via ropes whilst the boat was driven to pieces. The other boat was lost with all of its crew, names as follows:
William Sutherland who left a widow and 9 Children
Cornelius Class - a widow and 4 children
Jeffrey Sinclair - a widow and 4 children
Alexr Miller Jnr - a widow and 2 children
DONALD CAMPBELL - a widow and 1 child
William Sinclair - unmarried
George Munro - unmarried

Donald Campbell is my ggg uncle - he was married to Christina McKay. Son William b 1847 became schoolmaster at Achow Swiney until death 1907.
Cornelius Class was son of Claus Cornelius who came from Holland and settled in Lybster early 1800s.

Tricia

Peterd500
20-Feb-08, 22:43
Some more info

Latheron New Cemetery
http://www.graven-images.org.uk/l
In loving memory of our dear parents.
Cornelius CLASS drowned at sea 22nd November 1847 aged 30.
Wife Christina NICOL died at Hillhead Lybster 8th February 1907 aged 90.
Daughter Jessie CLASS died at Boulglass House Forse 10th February 1937 aged 93.

Cornelius who drowned had a younger brother Sutherland Gow CLASS who married Margaret SINCLAIR daughter of George SINCLAIR & Francisina (Frances Ann, Francis Ann) SINCLAIR. Sutherland & Margaret's daughter Lilly married Alexander CLYNE and they took their family to New Zealand in the 1920s. I have contacted descendants. Margaret SINCLAIR & her father George SINCLAIR are on my SINCLAIR family tree, George being the son of Alexander SINCLAIR (=Elizabeth SUTHERLAND aka Betty MCRYRIE), son of james SINCLAIR the chamberlain (1=Anna ROBERTSON), son of Donald the sailor, son of David SINCLAIR of Broynach. I descend from the chamberlain's second marriage to Elspeth SINCLAIR.

Cornelius who drowned had a sister Catherine who married Umphrey THOMSON.

Cornelius had a son Peter who went to Grimsby and appears to have had lots of descendants.

Peter