PDA

View Full Version : Borderline Personality Disorder

Lolabelle
06-Feb-08, 00:19
A friend of ours has recently married a young woman with "Borderline Personality Disorder", at first I thought, you have got to be joking! Another label for bad behaviour! But then I got reading about it and could see the symptoms were very visable in this girl. Has anyone else ever heard of it?

Whitewater
06-Feb-08, 00:41
I was not aware of any such disorder, so I typed the words into google and was most surprised by the result. I began to think of all the symptoms and realised that someone rather close to us could suffer from this. However, not being a medical doctor (or ay other kind of doctor) and having no medical knowledge of any kind except the recognition of spots, colds and high temperatures, I will refrane from talking to the person about this as the person is already receiving treatment for one of the symtoms.

Lolabelle
06-Feb-08, 01:06
I began to think of all the symptoms and realised that someone rather close to us could suffer from this.

I will refrane from talking to the person about this as the person is already receiving treatment for one of the symtoms.

I know what you mean, I know a few who are showing some signs of this kind of behaviour.

Metalattakk
06-Feb-08, 01:39
A friend of ours has recently married a young woman with "Borderline Personality Disorder", at first I thought, you have got to be joking! Another label for bad behaviour! But then I got reading about it and could see the symptoms were very visable in this girl. Has anyone else ever heard of it?

Yeah, my personality reaches a definite level of disorder the closer I get to the border...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TVJ9GJdfVMY

;)

canuck
06-Feb-08, 10:42

"I hate you, don't leave me!" - I think that is the title of one of the well written, but not too technical, books exploring the clinical condition which psychologists call "Borderline Personality Disorder". It is a recognized personality disorder within the realm of psychology.

The symptoms are the sorts of things that we might all feel when we are tired or in particular situations. But don't panic, that doesn't mean we are in the 'Borderline' category.

Lolabelle
06-Feb-08, 11:57
You are not wrong there canuck, when I read through the symptoms I could see some of my behaviour peeping through, at times. But I suppose the difference is whether or not someone lives like this, or has no control, and whether they only have short lived bouts.
It certainly makes for some interesting reading on the internet.

Venture
06-Feb-08, 13:40
Can I just say that Borderline Personality Disorder is a very serious mental health condition and should not be classed as "bad behaviour". The person with BPD has no control over their behaviour. Medication consisting of anti depressants and anti-psychotic drugs help the condition but have huge side effects which can be as bad as the condition. Something like 2% of the adult population suffer from this and it accounts for 20% of admissions to psychiatric hospitals. These people need a lot of support and input from Mental Health services and their families.

This description of the condition is taken from the Mental Health Website:

People with BPD often have highly unstable patterns of social relationships. While they can develop intense but stormy attachments, their attitudes towards family, friends, and loved ones may suddenly shift from idealization (great admiration and love) to devaluation (intense anger and dislike). Thus, they may form an immediate attachment and idealize the other person, but when a slight separation or conflict occurs, they switch unexpectedly to the other extreme and angrily accuse the other person of not caring for them at all. Even with family members, individuals with BPD are highly sensitive to rejection, reacting with anger and distress to such mild separations as a vacation, a business trip, or a sudden change in plans. These fears of abandonment seem to be related to difficulties feeling emotionally connected to important persons when they are physically absent, leaving the individual with BPD feeling lost and perhaps worthless. Suicide threats and attempts may occur along with anger at perceived abandonment and disappointments.

It can be a nightmare for the realtives of people coping with someone with this disorder.

johno
06-Feb-08, 16:08
I know what you mean, I know a few who are showing some signs of this kind of behaviour.
could it be that ONE or two of them are here. :eek: