PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

Thumper
05-Feb-08, 22:27
Everytime I try to worm my sons cat he either doesnt eat the food or eats it and then throws up! I cant afford to buy the new kind of wormer that you put on their coats (like the flea and tick stuff) so has anyone got any ideas how to A:get him to eat it and B: keep it down? Thanks in advance x

lady penelope
05-Feb-08, 23:12
This may be tricky. I did once have a very beligerent and very old cat who was on medication and had to have a tablet every day. His name, for reasons that would have been plain to everyone who met him, was Charlie the bad cat!! Basic tabletting technique was to pull on a pair of welders gloves, grab Charlie by scruff of the neck and open his mouth with other hand. Other half, also wearing welders gloves, then had to feed tablet and hold mouth closed for 5 minutes. Of course, Charlie had perfected the art of not swallowing for 6 minutes, so the whole operation had to be performed again. Once tablet had been swallowed, Charlie was dropped into an empty room, which he would proceed to wreck for half an hour or more.
My advice is just to take the tablet yourself, its easier and a whole lot less painful:eek:

I quite agree with you DeHaviland.
One of my cats will chew her tongue until the tablet comes back up, and the blood from ribboned tongue is foaming out of her mouth!:(
She gets in such a state!

Thumper, try the towel trick. Put a towel over your shoulder and drape it down your front. Grab the cats paws and quickly wrap towel round said cat so only the head is sticking out. Prise open cat's mouth and shove tablet down cat's throat, then shut cat's mouth. hold mouth closed until you are sure tablet is swallowed,you can stoke the throat if cat won't swallow, the feed the cat a plate of cat meat. The tablet should stay down!

This is how the vet showed me how to do it. It's over within a minute and sounds cruel, but better than a tummy full of worms.

millavilla
05-Feb-08, 23:21
I put the tablet in my cats mouth then i use a syringe full of water right at the back of it they cant help but to swallow and down goes the tablet.It works everytime but can be a bit fidgity but am lucky my cats are big softies :D

miranda
05-Feb-08, 23:38
lady p thanx for advice as its that time again for my cat also and i was trying to think of solutions . will try this ..although i think she will send me to coventry for a while lol

Tilter
06-Feb-08, 00:46
I just gave my cat a pill tonight. Just been applying Savlon to my wounds. I got a "pill pusher" from the vet for about £2.00. You fill it with water like a hypo and put the pill into a pincer-type thing at the end that grips it. Husband held cat in a towel like a straight jacket. I found it easier to shove the pill pusher into the side of his closed mouth like you were dosing a sheep, then press the plunger immediately, and it works.

Problem is, cat has a dodgy ticker and has to have this medication for the rest of his natural. I think going through this performance every night might bring on heart failure rather than prevent it. He got most upset.

Oh, and these pills I got are supposed to be palatable - i.e., put it in your hand and they smell so good to the cat he should just wolf it down. Fat chance.

Tilter
06-Feb-08, 00:57
My advice is just to take the tablet yourself, its easier and a whole lot less painful:eek:

Just noticed your advice - I may have to take it as a last resort.

Fran
06-Feb-08, 01:22
I wrap my cat in a blanket, get someone to hold him, then I open his mouth, put pill in, then rub his neck as this makes them swallow.....same with the dog but the dog will eat his in food.

mrs n
06-Feb-08, 08:46
i take the cowards way out and get our cat wormed if he has to go to the vets, just a spot of liquid on the back of his neck, i dare say you could buy it on some vet supply websites, our cat isnt called Grumpy for nothing :)

kriklah
06-Feb-08, 08:51
How to give a cat a pill

http://rulingcatsanddogs.com/images/shim.gif

Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right fore finger and thumb on either of side of cat’s mouth and gently apply pressure to cheek while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away. Take new pill from foil wrapper, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore finger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Pull spouse from garden. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growl emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cat’s head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cats throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrapper. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figures from hearth and set to one side for gluing later. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with its head just visible from below spouse’s armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw; force cat’s mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw

Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply bandage to spouses forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door on to neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot.

Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence whilst swerving to avoid cat.

Take last pill from foil wrap. Tie cat’s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat’s mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

Get spouse to drive you to hospital; sit quietly while doctor stitches finger and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

Arrange for SPCA to collect cat.

How to give a dog a pill

wrap pill in bacon

marlyn
06-Feb-08, 13:22
Oh Kriklah - how true!!

Haven't laughed so much for a while - thank you!

Phoenix200416
06-Feb-08, 13:43
Haha thats hilarious!

Liz
06-Feb-08, 14:12
Hee hee. Good one Kriklah!
I am so lucky in that Charly my cat, who has to take heart medication, is so easy to give tablets to! I just open his mouth and pop it in!
Suzy my cat is the same but Tiggy the cat would be impossible to give medication to so hoping he dies peacefully in his sleep aged 30!!!
Luckily my late cat who needed medication would take it in his food.
Thumper have you tried the granules which you can put in food? If putting in food it is best to get something really strong smelling to disguise it a wee bit. Usually getting a different food from what they usually get can help.

Jackpot
06-Feb-08, 14:26
Hi. I use the spot-on wormer that you apply to the back of the cats neck. It's a bit more expensive but gives peace of mind that you have actually wormed your cat and they haven't sneaked off and spat out the pill behind your back!

Thumper
06-Feb-08, 18:53
HI Liz yes I have tried the granules,he refused to eat the food,than I tried tablets,he eventually ate the then went outside and was violently sick :eek: now I have put more tablets in his food and he is on hunger strike :roll: Anybody got some welding gloves?lol x

catnip
06-Feb-08, 22:39
If it is powder stuff, mix it up with a tin of tuna in brine, if it pill form i crush it between two spoons and mix it in the tuna.
My cat would take anything as long as it was mixed up in a tin of tuna in brine.

Thumper
06-Feb-08, 22:41
Thanks catnip I will try that...if I try all the suggestions and he eats a small amount for each by the end of the week i may have got enough into him [lol].....then I just need to go through it all again next week :eek: x

Foxy
07-Feb-08, 00:18
Kirklah - you cheered up my day. :lol:

Thumper
07-Feb-08, 11:14
Whoo HOO! he has eaten it!and as far as I know he hasnt yacked it all up outside :roll: but next time I am just going to buy the one you put on their skin,cos I have spent more than that on all the different types I have tried :eek: so i would have been cheaper buying it in the first place....you live and learn eh? lol x

Tilter
12-Feb-08, 21:34
Thumper, I'm glad you sorted your problem.

Since last posting on this thread on 5 Feb, I have got precisely zero pills down the cat since. Was away at weekend and so cat got away with it since it's a two-man operation. He learned his lesson that first time I got a pill down him and he's not going to let it happen again.

Now at wit's end. Someone suggested to me grinding the pill up and mixing in a dab of butter. I tried a dry run on the butter tonight but he turned his nose up. I'll buy some of that squidgy cream tomorrow and try that as I know he likes cream. He eats very little so it's more difficult. He used to enjoy tinned tuna in brine, then went off it and would eat salmon - now gone off that too. Also gone off mince and liver.

Any more bright ideas anyone?

highlandlassie
13-Feb-08, 14:03
My two cats are awful at taking tablets or the powder. I have found that if i get a crab claw and pick it then mix in the powder they scoff the lot withing seconds. If using tablets someone suggested putting a little bit of butter on your finger and put the tablet in the butter then they take it but i haven't tried that one.

carasmam
13-Feb-08, 17:16
If using tablets someone suggested putting a little bit of butter on your finger and put the tablet in the butter then they take it but i haven't tried that one.

That trick works with my dog, but wasn't sure if it would with a cat. Failing butter the toffee out of a twix bar does the job. Maybe your cat has a sweet tooth :lol:

Thumper
13-Feb-08, 17:37
Well today I had to give the second dose...its now sitting in his plate with some lovely tuna and a wee bit of brine...where no doubt it will stay until I give up and throw it out :roll: worse still theres a third dose next week :eek:....next time I am def buying the spot on kind...its pricey but considering how many tablets and powders I have thrown out(or he has thrown up) I would have been cheaper in the long run....sheesh having a cat is hard work lol x

lady penelope
14-Feb-08, 19:39
I promise you the towel trick works, Cruel and barbaric, but definately works! Catches them by surprise so they don't know what has hit them! :lol:

Thumper
14-Feb-08, 19:50
will try that tomorrow...just threw out the food....again!If I dont post for a while it will be because my eyes have been scratched out :eek:[lol] x

Thumper
14-Feb-08, 21:17
Whoo hoo! Lady P's idea is great.....one phsyco cat wormed!...not speaking to me ,but wormed [lol] x

lady penelope
14-Feb-08, 21:22
At least your eyes are intact!:lol: Well done ;)