PDA

View Full Version : Social etiquette

justine
05-Feb-08, 19:31
i was wondering if anyone else has noticed that there seems to be a lack of social etiquette amongst humans.I was told by one of my daughters teachers that it suprises them the she holds the doors for them..What happened to the likes of walking on the left side instead of barging past....Adults were always first and then children...I know we have moved along in the times but where have all the manners gone...I remember being a child and speaking when spoken to and not being around when my parents had company.I am not saying it is fair to do this but it certainly did not do me any harm.Any one else noticed the lack of manners, or am i just being picky......

sphinx
05-Feb-08, 19:34
yup i total agree nothing wrong with having manners that makes us who we are today lead by example i say:D

unicorn
05-Feb-08, 19:36
If parents don't have these manners how can children learn then, Supermarkets are the best place to witness this:confused

karia
05-Feb-08, 19:38
No, Your observations are correct Justine.... but I would say that the age spread is quite wide with at least as many rude and inconsiderate older people as younger ones.

I wasn't banished when my folks had company and so have always felt at ease with all age groups and I certainly didn't stay quiet until spoken to....

...but you probably guessed that!:lol::lol:

justine
05-Feb-08, 19:46
No, Your observations are correct Justine.... but I would say that the age spread is quite wide with at least as many rude and inconsiderate older people as younger ones.

I wasn't banished when my folks had company and so have always felt at ease with all age groups and I certainly didn't stay quiet until spoken to....

...but you probably guessed that!:lol::lol:

Your right maybe i should have mentioned the older generation aswell..They can be just as bad, expecting to be let through the door first but then i do hold the doors for people....
I would never say that you keep quiet until spoken to, i thought you were so shy and quiet....have i been reading you wrong or is there something you forgot to mention....

karia
05-Feb-08, 19:53
Your right maybe i should have mentioned the older generation aswell..They can be just as bad, expecting to be let through the door first but then i do hold the doors for people....
I would never say that you keep quiet until spoken to, i thought you were so shy and quiet....have i been reading you wrong or is there something you forgot to mention....

I rarely forget to mention something Justine!;)

Sporran
05-Feb-08, 20:21
i was wondering if anyone else has noticed that there seems to be a lack of social etiquette amongst humans.I was told by one of my daughters teachers that it suprises them the she holds the doors for them..What happened to the likes of walking on the left side instead of barging past....Adults were always first and then children...I know we have moved along in the times but where have all the manners gone...I remember being a child and speaking when spoken to and not being around when my parents had company.I am not saying it is fair to do this but it certainly did not do me any harm.Any one else noticed the lack of manners, or am i just being picky......

I am in a customer service type job, and it never fails to amaze me how rude and abrupt some customers can be, even when greeted with my usual friendly smile, and ensuing politeness. The worst offenders are mostly middle aged to old people, not the young ones! I firmly believe in the use of "please" and "thank you", and that "manners make the man" (or woman, of course!) I find that my politeness and cheerfullness usually wins in the end, though, and I'm glad I was brought up that way. Our sons are young men now, and people often comment to my husband and I on their good manners and congeniality. I hope we'll be able to have the same boast with grandchildren one day!

egregory
05-Feb-08, 20:26
I agree, my parents taught me to respect my elders and that manners cost nothing they also taught me to always treat people as you would want to be treated yourself.

orkneylass
05-Feb-08, 20:47
Which bits of bad manners particularly annoy you? I hate it when people leave the TV on when they have visitors.

justine
05-Feb-08, 20:54
Which bits of bad manners particularly annoy you? I hate it when people leave the TV on when they have visitors.

I am with you on that aspect.I hate it also when i go to friends after being invited and they insist on sitting watching bleeding soaps, how wude....

I am lucky that my kids have the manners i was given and hope that they continue this when they have their own kids....

orkneylass
05-Feb-08, 20:55
I am with you on that aspect.I hate it also when i go to friends after being invited and they insist on sitting watching bleeding soaps, how wude....

I am lucky that my kids have the manners i was given and hope that they continue this when they have their own kids....

Kids learn what they live....never underestimate how much they pick up from you, your manners, your behaviour etc....and they notice everything!

justine
05-Feb-08, 20:58
you dont have to tell me that.Having nine of them i can honestly say me and the hubby have no secrets...But then i would not want to keep anything from them...

northener
05-Feb-08, 21:16
I always walk so that Mrs N isn't on the edge of the kerb, I am.

I also always try to walk with her on my left hand side, where possible. Thus keeping my sword hand free to quickly repulse Big Issue sellers and muggers.

unicorn
05-Feb-08, 21:24

I also always try to walk with her on my left hand side, where possible. Thus keeping my sword hand free to quickly repulse Big Issue sellers and muggers.

you are a true gallant gentleman northener awwww :D

Sporran
05-Feb-08, 21:40

you are a true gallant gentleman northener awwww

You are indeed, northener! Is your real name Richard Sharpe, perchance? ;) :D

karia
05-Feb-08, 21:52

..and break off the conversation with you who are in the same room..to give a mobile call prominence!

northener
05-Feb-08, 21:56
You are indeed, northener! Is your real name Richard Sharpe, perchance?

I've got the same accent and know the words to 'Over The Hills And Far Away'!:D

northener
05-Feb-08, 21:59
..and break off the conversation with you who are in the same room..to give a mobile call prominence!

Gordon Ramsay deals with mobile etiquette in his restaurant very well - he's been known to snatch the mobile off his offending customer and boil it:lol:

The phone, not the customer.

But personally I'd boil the customer.

Flair
05-Feb-08, 22:01

Must be some size of pans you've got. :eek:

karia
05-Feb-08, 22:03
Gordon Ramsay deals with mobile etiquette in his restaurant very well - he's been known to snatch the mobile off his offending customer and boil it:lol:

The phone, not the customer.

With you on that..how would we 'plate up'?

Sirloin d'ass..whole in a blue toothed sauce might do!:lol:

Flair
05-Feb-08, 23:10

Mmm... delicious.:Razz

Riffman
06-Feb-08, 00:13
Well, despite what some people think of them, I have found that the majority of europeans working in this country have better manners than the locals.

Venture
06-Feb-08, 14:32
Have to agree with you on that one Riffman. Having been served by Europeans in local Hotels the difference stands out a mile. Havent been served in a supermarket yet by a European but when it comes to the local checkout operators the majority of them are very pleasant expecially in Tescos. Im afraid there are the odd one or two elsewhere who obviously dont enjoy their job and let you know it. Manners and respect begin at home and I think its all according to how youve been brought up yourself.

Venture
06-Feb-08, 14:38
While we are on the subject of manners and respect in young people have any of you been watching the programme "Ladette to Lady" on ITV. Have to say Im glued to it every week.

Sapphire2803
06-Feb-08, 14:42

It's definitely not just you, it's up there in my top 10 of things that make me get on my soap box

. My Dad always used to pick up on this, he'd spot a couple walking up the road (woman on kerb) and say Ooh look, he's trying to get rid of her!

With you on that..how would we 'plate up'?

Heheheheh, I like your thinkin'

People with pushchairs can be one of the worst. In Wick once I was walking up the hill from Somerfields, going to the post office. A group of women, one of whom was pushing a buggy came round the corner (walking 3 or 4 abreast) as I got to it, I pressed myself hard up against the wall to be out of the way and she ran over my feet! Did she say sorry? Pah! Did she hell! I muttered something along the lines of 'Ooh sorry about that, Oh that's ok', she heard me and told me it was my own fault for getting in her way!
Well.. I'm paraphrasing, she was a lot less polite than that :mad:

orkneylass
06-Feb-08, 19:47
Have to agree with you on that one Riffman. Having been served by Europeans in local Hotels the difference stands out a mile. Havent been served in a supermarket yet by a European but when it comes to the local checkout operators the majority of them are very pleasant expecially in Tescos. Im afraid there are the odd one or two elsewhere who obviously dont enjoy their job and let you know it. Manners and respect begin at home and I think its all according to how youve been brought up yourself.

This is not so much manners as a culture within British society that confuses "service" with "servile" and thinks that to be a shop assistant or waitress is somehow demeaning. In most other countries, these are seen as professions in which people take a pride. Was Rachael looked down on for being a waitress in a coffee bar in "Friends"? I don't think so - her boyfriend was an academic if I remember rightly (I have not watched it much).

Julia
06-Feb-08, 20:01
In my opinion the majority have poor manners and know little of social etiquette, old people I find especially ignorant, I quite often hold a door open and I don't get even a breath of thanks for it, makes me wonder why I bother! [disgust]

If someone holds a door open for me I make a point of looking directly at them and saying thank you just so they know I appreciate it.

I've had my fill of the absent please and thank you in supermarkets etc.., if I don't get the basics I complain, it costs nothing to say please!

Social etiquette should be made part of the school curriculum so at least if kids don't see it at home they will at least experience how manners should be applied.