PDA

View Full Version : Charging Double??

Looby2K7
05-Feb-08, 15:25
Has anyone else who has done a reasonably big shopping from tescos ever sat and really checked thier reciepts?? upon checking mine i discovered i had been charged twice for items that i only bought one of, this has happened to a friend also on numerous occasions.
Has this happened to you or is it just cos they see me coming...[lol]

angela5
05-Feb-08, 15:48
Not just you, i noticed i'd been charged twice for one box of Cornflakes.
They better taste good at £4.96.
Pretty hard to prove you only purchased one item though.

Looby2K7
05-Feb-08, 15:55
well my item was a bag of tescos variety crisps at £2.48p so seen as i payed £4.96p for them i expect to find a bag of tatties at the bottom of my crisps to make up for the ones i never got....:Razz

Gizmo
05-Feb-08, 15:57
A couple of months ago when i checked our reciept i found that we had 2 items that were charged for twice and 4 items that were never charged at all, it worked out that we were better off by a couple of quid......cheers Tesco :)

Looby2K7
05-Feb-08, 16:00
4 items that were not charged for at all???? wow must tell me who this blind cashier is....[lol]

Cattach
05-Feb-08, 16:19
Has anyone else who has done a reasonably big shopping from tescos ever sat and really checked thier reciepts?? upon checking mine i discovered i had been charged twice for items that i only bought one of, this has happened to a friend also on numerous occasions.
Has this happened to you or is it just cos they see me coming...[lol]

I am afraid it ias a problem with all the supermarkets. We have checked our receipts for a long time as there are mistakes of one kind or another more often than not. Safeway in Thurso were by far the worst it only imprved marginally under Somerfield. At Tesco in Thurso the first three times I was in (during their first week) my bill was wrong every time - in thoses cases in my favour!!

Shabbychic
05-Feb-08, 16:23
I remember the time when my mum was charged extra at Lidls. Among her shopping was a packet of cream crackers, and on checking her receipt when she got home, she discovered that she had been charged for not 1 but 16 packets of cream crackers. She took the receipt back to the shop the following week and after everyone had a good laugh, she got an apology and her money back no problem.

sphinx
05-Feb-08, 16:28
yeah ive had it a few times ive had to complain

Gizmo
05-Feb-08, 16:45
4 items that were not charged for at all???? wow must tell me who this blind cashier is....[lol]

Haha.....it actually wasnt the cashier's fault, their whole system was playing up at the time and she had to regulary stop and Sub-Total everything, thats why i felt the need to check the reciept against the items we bought.

Also last year i was checking my online banking and noticed that Tesco were trying to take a Switch payment twice, i spoke to my bank and Tesco but neither would accept the blame, they just kept blaming each other, i still dont know what happened but when the payment request actually cleared the system only one payment was made from my account and the other request had vanished......strange but true.

And talking about Switch payment at Supermarkets, about 10 years ago i used to shop at the Co-op and always pay by Switch, when i checked my bank statement there was an unknown (to me) payment for around £60 to the Co-op, after speaking to my bank i found out it was genuine, it had just taken the Co-op over 5 months to take the payment from my account, needless to say i watch my Switch transactions very closely these days.

bluelady
05-Feb-08, 16:48
they are usually pretty good if you tell them. The one thing I keep doing is leaving things behind on the til buts its all recorded so you can get them at a later date.

Looby2K7
05-Feb-08, 17:23
well im no usually one for checking reciepts but think i will from now on, but then if this is gonna be a regular occurence then i will have to complain and start requesting my money back but then how do you prove you only bought one item if the reciept says you bought two??:confused

poppett
05-Feb-08, 17:29
I have the shopping tallied before I reach the till and if the amount they ask for isn`t the same......or less, then I would ask for a recheck or if the transaction has gone through I would stand at the end of the counter and check the receipt there and then.

Buyer beware as the saying goes.

Gizmo
05-Feb-08, 17:31
well im no usually one for checking reciepts but think i will from now on, but then if this is gonna be a regular occurence then i will have to complain and start requesting my money back but then how do you prove you only bought one item if the reciept says you bought two??:confused

I generally have a quick scan through my reciept before i leave the store just to check for any obvious mistakes, it only takes a minute.

pat
05-Feb-08, 18:33
Been incorrectly charged many times since moving to where I live presently - I now very rarely leave checkout without double checking my receipt and change.
Within 3 weeks I had four incorrect receipts - priced many times higher on receipt than in shops, in those sales I would have spent another £18.50 going on their receipts and I would have lost another £15 in change had I not been watching change (and this is computerised where it tells them how much change to give!!!)
Certainly keep an eye on receipts and change - I frequently still have to get them to correct it but now the supervisors very rarely quibble as they know I watch prices and change, worth a little bit of effort.

kriklah
05-Feb-08, 18:35
i carry a calculator and add up as i go, so i know what it should come to at the till. usually comes to the same, but if theres a difference, depending on how big, i query it,(unless their total is less than mine!!) plus check the receipt before leaving the shop.

lady penelope
05-Feb-08, 18:44
These are known as overcharges , if you notice one on your receipt, phone the Customer Service Desk, the number is onthe top of you receipt. Tesco would hate to think of customers being charged too much for their shopping. Believe it or not Tesco takes their price promise very seriously.

ANNIE
05-Feb-08, 19:20
I bought a piece of ham reduced to £2.50 from £12 only to find when I got home I was charged the full price went back and got my refund.

miranda
05-Feb-08, 20:14
i have been charged double/or never got deals from tesco when i have returned they have always been very helpful and polite and refunded me no problems:D

TBH
05-Feb-08, 20:39
These are known as overcharges , if you notice one on your receipt, phone the Customer Service Desk, the number is onthe top of you receipt. Tesco would hate to think of customers being charged too much for their shopping. Believe it or not Tesco takes their price promise very seriously.Tesco ended their price promise in Feb 2007.

emb123
05-Feb-08, 20:54
Back in the days when I used to shop in Asda I would always check my till receipt as I wandered towards the door as it was quite common for the checkout staff to overcharge.

I seem to remember that Asda (like many shops) had a 'check before leaving the store as mistakes cannot be rectified afterwards' policy dunno whether that still applies or not.

However they did make it lucrative for the eagle-eyed shopper who spotted the overcharged items and items rung in more than once. I believe you would get double the difference back. :)

Kathy, the Customer Services Manageress and I actually became very good friends :evil

I'm sure it's just human error, and I've been overcharged in Tesco a few times too, but probably like everyone else here, it's too paltry an amount to be worth bothering to reclaim. I do wonder how much all our combined paltry amounts total per month, per store! I suppose if you are Tesco Stores Ltd, every little helps!

Macwull
05-Feb-08, 21:31
I usually check my receipt after i leave the store as I don't want the checkout operators feeling that i'm questioning them. At the end of the day mistakes happen, none of us are perfect, even though some beleive they are!

Is it not known that the customer is always right! Maybe!
I know from personal experience that if you go back to tesco if you've been overcharged you will get the extra money back. Whats a couple o quid to a company like TESCO.

Looby2K7
05-Feb-08, 21:54
Thats true the customer is always right, but like emb123 said, it is too small amount to bother making a fuss (£2.48p) mind you this is the first time ive ever checked my reciept i hate to think how much money ive lost scince shopping at tescos due to being overcharged...:confused
Think ill do wot people with common sense do and start checking before i leave the store:)

NLP
05-Feb-08, 22:32
When the wee one is on the toy car at the door I always check my receipt, 3 times I've been overcharged, I go back in and they have checked to see I had the items I've complained about. Was once told it's not much but as I said its better in my pocket than Tescos

Tony
06-Feb-08, 00:04
This can happen at any supermarket. It happened to me several times at Somerfield but was normally due to bar codes not being updated with the correct prices especially with special offers.