PDA

View Full Version : Slaughter House

cuthill
04-Feb-08, 22:50
Hi does anyone know when and where the new Slaughter house in Caithness is being built

scotsman1
04-Feb-08, 22:55
Hi does anyone know when and where the new Slaughter house in Caithness is being built

Now and Keiss

cuthill
04-Feb-08, 22:58
Thanks Scotsman1, do you know when it opens

scotsman1
04-Feb-08, 23:34
Thanks Scotsman1, do you know when it opens
It'll be a good while yet, its just getting built. Phone Jocky at the Waterfront in Wick and he'll tell you, as it is him that is in charge.

Margaret M.
05-Feb-08, 15:10
And once it is up and running, I challenge everyone who eats meat to stop by and see what happens before your dinner, wrapped neatly in cellophane, appears in the shop.

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian."
Paul McCartney

dandod
05-Feb-08, 15:18
And once it is up and running, I challenge everyone who eats meat to stop by and see what happens before your dinner, wrapped neatly in cellophane, appears in the shop.

Paul McCartney
or watch kill it,cook it.eat it, on BBC3. a very interesting,insightful,no holds barred programme.vegetarian or not i recommend everyone to watch it.

scorrie
05-Feb-08, 15:39

Paul McCartney

Does anyone remember the Spitting Image sketch about Paul McCartney's wife Linda's vegetarian meal range? A spoof commercial ran, extolling the virtues of Mrs McCartney's meals and right at the end a voiceover announced:- "That was an advertisment for British Meat!!"

Highland Laddie
05-Feb-08, 15:46

Paul McCartney

If your born and brought up in the country, you would not be so squeemish.
and who says vegetables don't have feelings ???
poor carrots, pulled out the earth by the hair, how cruel is that.

NickInTheNorth
05-Feb-08, 16:20

Paul McCartney

Been there done that - worked in an abbatoir from the age of 13, never put me off meat.

So I guess in this case macca is wrong!

sphinx
05-Feb-08, 16:42
lots of people complain a bout how anaimals are treated but it makes me laugh were do they think there food comes from ...........

orkneylass
05-Feb-08, 18:45
We sanistise everything nowadays and then act shocked when we see the reality....we need to be aware that human beings would not have evolved as intelligent and creative beings without taking to the eating of meat - a high protein diet is one important component of evolution over thousands of years ( and NO, this does not mean vegetarians have lower intelligence before someone wilfully misinterperets what I am saying). Animals are probably treated better now in this country than for most of history and domesticated animals well fed and cared for, free from natural predators, and humanely slaughtered, have a better life than many animals in the wild. The silliest thing we do nowadays is "anthropomorphism" - the transferance of human characteristics onto animals, assuming that they think and experience emotions in the same way that humans do, and understand everything around them as we do. The daftest example of this recently was the programme about dolphins as "murderers" because they sometimes kill their own young, and the investigation of this comprising an autopsy carried out in CSI-style using highly emotive language for effect. It is crazy to jurge animal behaviour by human standards. Vegetarians are as entitled to their choices in a free country as anyone else is, but judgements about cruelty are emotional reactions, not statements of fact. Go with your emotions by all means and choose what you like, but do be honest about the process.

Margaret M.
06-Feb-08, 02:41
The silliest thing we do nowadays is "anthropomorphism" - the transferance of human characteristics onto animals, assuming that they think and experience emotions in the same way that humans do
There is an abundance of scientific data to contradict your statement/belief. There is absolutely no doubt that animals feel fear and pain and that is of greater concern to me than whether they are happy, sad or jealous. Pain, fear and unspeakable acts of cruelty may all be present within the walls of a slaughterhouse.

but judgements about cruelty are emotional reactions, not statements of fact.
huh?

Go with your emotions by all means and choose what you like, but do be honest about the process.
My decision to eliminate meat and dairy from my diet was not an emotional choice -- it was based on scientific data. From American Heart Association: "Many studies have shown that vegetarians seem to have a lower risk of obesity, coronary heart disease (which causes heart attack), high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus and some forms of cancer."

Oddquine
06-Feb-08, 03:59
I try not to think of the cellophane wrapped bits of meat as being from anything, I'm afraid.......otherwise I'd never eat it, but I can't digest most fruit and vegetables, so I'd starve!

orkneylass
06-Feb-08, 19:43
"There is an abundance of scientific data to contradict your statement/belief. There is absolutely no doubt that animals feel fear and pain and that is of greater concern to me than whether they are happy, sad or jealous. Pain, fear and unspeakable acts of cruelty may all be present within the walls of a slaughterhouse."

You don't understand what anthropomorphism is - ofcourse animals experience pain, fear and pleasure...that is a world away from assuming that they reason, anticipate, plan or aspire to things in the way that humans do. Do animals feel pain - yes! Do they plan to someday move to another area of the country, and retire, with all sorts of hopes and dreams about how to fill the next 15 years of their lives, which are then cruelly cut short by humane slaughter? I don't think so!

Margaret M.
07-Feb-08, 02:16
You don't understand what anthropomorphism is - ofcourse animals experience pain, fear and pleasure...that is a world away from assuming that they reason, anticipate, plan or aspire to things in the way that humans do. Do animals feel pain - yes! Do they plan to someday move to another area of the country, and retire, with all sorts of hopes and dreams about how to fill the next 15 years of their lives, which are then cruelly cut short by humane slaughter? I don't think so!

I fully understand that animals do not think or act like humans. They cannot determine what is good or bad for them but they can sense when their life is in danger -- open the door of a slaughterhouse and see how many stick around. Unfortunately oft times the slaughter is far from humane.

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-08, 02:59
Paul McCartney

Yeah, and if Mr.McCartney had glass bedroom walls, everyone would turn celibate...

B.B.

Seriously though, as a person who was veg and vegan for a few years I would have to say I have observed that the information is more out there now than at any time, yet meat eating continues. Must be natural.

:)

golach
07-Feb-08, 10:35
open the door of a slaughterhouse and see how many stick around. Unfortunately oft times the slaughter is far from humane.
Sorry Margaret M, I do not agree with you here, having been brought up on a farm, if an animal in a nice warm shelter where all the food it needs finds an open door, it / they will all head out that open door, similarly in an open field, is a hole in a fence appears, animals will head through that hole be it a gate or otherwise. Animals will roam.

Wellies
07-Feb-08, 11:25
Sorry Margaret M, I do not agree with you here, having been brought up on a farm, if an animal in a nice warm shelter where all the food it needs finds an open door, it / they will all head out that open door, similarly in an open field, is a hole in a fence appears, animals will head through that hole be it a gate or otherwise. Animals will roam.
Agree with you completely golach, they will even make the hole in the fence.:lol: I think as long as animals are well treated while they are alive, fed what they need, given shelter if they need it, treated kindly and with the knowledge to know when there is something wrong with them, that is what is most important. I would think with regulations etc while they are in the slaughterhouse it is as quick and humane as possible. Also I wholeheartly believe if this is not done they should be prosecuted and not allowed to work with or keep animals whether it is on the farm or at a slaughter house.

Margaret M.
07-Feb-08, 14:20
I have observed that the information is more out there now than at any time, yet meat eating continues. Must be natural.

We all know smoking can kill but people continue to smoke -- it's not natural, it's an unhealthy choice. I choose a healthy diet and no animals have to die in the process so for me it's a win-win but I recognize that it is my choice.

Margaret M.
07-Feb-08, 14:23
I think as long as animals are well treated while they are alive, fed what they need, given shelter if they need it, treated kindly and with the knowledge to know when there is something wrong with them, that is what is most important. I would think with regulations etc while they are in the slaughterhouse it is as quick and humane as possible.

Ah, Wellies, if only it was all that warm and fuzzy -- perhaps in Caithness it is but that is so not the case in the U.S. with the factory farms and the mass slaughtering.

Wellies
07-Feb-08, 15:25
I thought this was a thread about the slaughter house in Keiss not slaughter houses in the US. If that is the case Margaret M isn't about time that the public pushed their own government for further regulations. I think what I said isn't exactly "warm and fuzzy", I have been a farmer all my life and my father and grandfather before me and this is how we all treated and treat our animals. I know nearly all farmers are the same (we certainly are not in the business of farming to make a huge profit (if only), it is a way of life. I am sure most slaughter houses are quick and humane in the killing of the animals. I agree there will be bad apples but I am sure they are soon found out.

orkneylass
07-Feb-08, 18:42
I thought this was a thread about the slaughter house in Keiss not slaughter houses in the US. If that is the case Margaret M isn't about time that the public pushed their own government for further regulations. I think what I said isn't exactly "warm and fuzzy", I have been a farmer all my life and my father and grandfather before me and this is how we all treated and treat our animals. I know nearly all farmers are the same (we certainly are not in the business of farming to make a huge profit (if only), it is a way of life. I am sure most slaughter houses are quick and humane in the killing of the animals. I agree there will be bad apples but I am sure they are soon found out.

Here Here! Margaret M's argument is like saying "Someone once fell on a knife in a cutlery basket in a dishwasher - so let's ban all knives and dishwashers". And is she also claiming that the only people whoi stay healthy into old age are vegetarians, because there is no evidence for that.

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-08, 19:05
We all know smoking can kill but people continue to smoke -- it's not natural, it's an unhealthy choice. I choose a healthy diet and no animals have to die in the process so for me it's a win-win but I recognize that it is my choice.

It is natural to select the nutrients you need from the environment you are in. I very much doubt your diet is any healthier than any balanced diet that includes meat.

To be honest, I did not start eating meat again for the taste. I just don’t believe in waste.

Smoking is natural. There is a primeval connection between fire and humanity, maintained through the carrying of the wee burning sticks.

Tighsonas4
07-Feb-08, 21:44
TO EAT OR NOT EAT
having lived on a croft many years ago it was as well that we were devoid
of all this science.choice was limiited produce had to be from the land or sea. everyone kept a pig for example it got well tended but the day came it was put down call it what you like..it then hung in the peat smoke in the rafters and was part of the diet. i love animals by the way but the choice
was as per heading
ps nobody would keep the chickens you crawling about on telly today
tony

beelag2000
07-Feb-08, 23:48
I agree with last post, brought up on smallholding, ate off land, parents and grandparents killed sheep pigs hens geese ducks grouse partridge pidgeon snipe woodcock. Only killed what was needed for food not for "sport". Had a great affinity with both the land, the livestock and our natural wild habitat
Everyone should see and understand what where when and how our food is reared, nurtured and prepared for consumption and that includes fish, animals grain fruit and veg.
I am not a fan of bulk factory processing whether it be animals fish or vegetable.
Also i am annoyed at how much waste there is in foodstuff, have a look at the returned plates in most eating establishments and the amount of good food the is going to waste is criminal. This is a much greater "crime" than eating meat. I have nothing against vegies but humans are natural meat eaters where there is access to meat products. Just look at our teeth configuration, it is designed to shear, incise and crush both meat and non meat produce.

Margaret M.
08-Feb-08, 05:09
Just look at our teeth configuration, it is designed to shear, incise and crush both meat and non meat produce.

In comparison our teeth, nails, intestinal tract and stomach acid are more similar to herbivores than carnivores. Carnivores have very sharp teeth and nails -- human teeth could not tear through an animal’s hide.

I totally agree with your point on wasted food.

Margaret M.
08-Feb-08, 05:26
And is she also claiming that the only people whoi stay healthy into old age are vegetarians, because there is no evidence for that.

No, actually she's not claiming any such thing. She did/does say that the evidence shows that the healthiest diet for humans is one that is free of animal products. Does it mean that vegetarians do not get heart disease, cancer, etc.? No. Does it mean that people who eat meat and dairy may not live a long, healthy life? No. Does it mean that the chances of living a long, healthy life are better if one eliminates the foods that have been proven to increase the risk of getting life threatening diseases? Yes.

Since she is over her self-imposed posting limit for the week and she has no desire to continue beating the dead horse (pun intended), she will now return this thread to the slaughter house at Keiss.

P.S. She knows it is important to you, so a wee edit may be in order:

Here Here!

farmer
10-Feb-08, 13:14
Hasn't this debate gotten a bit out of hand? The choice as to whether we eat meat is entirely upto the individual, and i don't feel it fair for others to try to pressure people to eat, or not eat the foods of thier choice.

From a farmers point of view (and i think this would be a similar view to the majority of Caithness farmers) , the animals we rear are very well cared for, and have very happy healthy lives. We spend hours and hours (and hours and hours.........) each day ensuring that our animals have sufficient food, shelter, and any vetinary care they need. We are bound by numerous regulations, endless ammounts of paperwork, and regular on-farm inspections by the local Agricultural Department, and organisations such as Quality Meat Scotland, to ensure that our premesis and practises are up to standard, that our animals are well cared for, and that our farms are upto an acceptable standard to rear animals for the meat market.

Margaret M, i cannot claim that all farms wolrdwide follow these codes of conduct, but all farms who carry the QMS badge have to reach quite rigorous standards of practise, and this includes a large number of local farms. Caithness farmers have, over the years, buiilt up a good reputation for the welfare of their animals, and the quality of the meat they produce, and have gained a reputation for producing some of the best meat in Scotland.

Killing animals may not be the most pleasant of thoughts, but I'm afraid it is our livelihood, and one we are very proud of. Without the meat industry, we would have a very hungry population, and much higher rates of unemployment, which - in my oppinion - is much worse that the humane slaughter of well cared for animals.

As i have said, whether or not we eat meat is a personal choice, and i have no problem with people choosing vegitarianism. I do feel, however, that it is unfair of these people to push their views on people who have weighed up the situation, and made the opposite choice.

spurtle
10-Feb-08, 13:24
Where do all our veggie friends think the natural manure that most of them favour as fertiliser for the crops they eat, is going to come from if we all followed their eating habits.

mostlyharmless
10-Feb-08, 19:42
Lots of green manure around isn't there? Comfrey etc. However........
Will the opening of the Keiss abbatoir mean the other in Wick is closed, is the new one much bigger.
I hope it works to enable even more crofters to produce their own animals to
eat. Its important we see the whole life cycle of an animal right through,from birth to death, cared for, fed well and eaten. If we can't do that then maybe some would by default become vegetarian by at least facing up to the reality of the food on their plate.
They may also not waste food so much and understand why some may give thanks for its life before they eat it.

emszxr
10-Feb-08, 20:56
i was a vegetarian , silly teenage phase. and i believe i was more unhealthy being one than i am now.
my family and i try to live of the land as much as we can. we kill and butcher our venison. we rear and slaughter our own pigs, sheep and chickens as well. i wouldnt have it any other way.

i watched the kill it cook it eat it series and i let my 3 year old watch them too. she knows where all our food comes from and sees it being butchered. i think its great for kids to know where their dinner comes from other out of a packet.