PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Pool

bobbyrussell09
04-Feb-08, 20:25
was at wick swimming pool the other day .was the first time in years.what a shook i got by the price.3.10 .but fortunatly for me i was there for happy hour.so my swim was just 50 p.thought it was pubs that had them lol

bobbyrussell09
04-Feb-08, 20:28
didnt relise the wick pool had happy hour.thought that was what pubs had lol

rfr10
04-Feb-08, 20:48
If you swim regularaly, get the Highlife Card:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/leisureandtourism/sportsfacilities/highlife/

Buttercup
04-Feb-08, 20:52
Heard on the grapevine that it's getting more difficult for the public to get in for a swim these days, in Thurso anyway.

weeksider
04-Feb-08, 21:04
Wick's is very good ,very young ,friendly ,bright,helpful ,chatty staff ,but the pool is warmer some days than others , the music station is the only thing wrong.

emszxr
04-Feb-08, 21:08
be happy you have a pool at all. we aint had a pool in over a year and half and still no date as to when it will open.

ett23
04-Feb-08, 21:32
didnt relise the wick pool had happy hour.thought that was what pubs had lol

We quite often use the pool in Thurso during happy hour - 1-2pm on Saturdays and 4-5pm on Thursdays. It's much cheaper than going any other time and paying full price. ;)

dblonde
04-Feb-08, 21:49
The only thing is getting in for a swim! Theres always something on and hardly any public swimming, very annoying when I feel like taking my baby daughter and cant get in at a decent time [evil]!

Billy Boy
04-Feb-08, 22:00
was at wick swimming pool the other day .was the first time in years.what a shook i got by the price.3.10 .but fortunatly for me i was there for happy hour.so my swim was just 50 p.thought it was pubs that had them lol

lol I'm sorry but i just have to ask.........did they shook the money out of you :eek: I have this vision of the attendant shaking the money out of your pocket

sorry once again it was just to hard to resist lol [lol]

WeeBurd
04-Feb-08, 22:05
The only thing is getting in for a swim! Theres always something on and hardly any public swimming, very annoying when I feel like taking my baby daughter and cant get in at a decent time !

And it's just gotten worse - the pool is now completely closed to the public when the schools are in. I find this very frustrating - with babies/toodlers it's often just a case of getting to the pool whenever you can, between naps. Now, however, you'll have to plan very carefully (I can't even begin to explain the correct timetable, it's too complex!), or you'll not get in at all. This is due to changes in child protection legislation or something to that effect: Mon to Fri,adults are not allowed in the changing rooms when school kids are in them; Sat & Sun, it's absolutely fine though :roll:.

Just to make it clear, I'm not blaming the staff, it's not their fault (well, I don't think it is, lol!), but whoever came up with this crazy dose of PC-ness <shakes head>... oh, and if I'd paid the dosh for a High-life card as I had originally planned, and as suggested by a previous poster, then I would been even more scunnered right now!

If anyone's interested, I'm sure the council website has up to date info on the new rules and timetables.... wait, nope, it says Public Swimming Mon to Fri 9-5 (and then some), and that certainly can't be right, as MrBurd called this morning, to be told he couldn't take the kids swimming until after 3:30pm today. :roll:

Needless to say, the 'Burd family never went swimming today!

dblonde
04-Feb-08, 22:16
And it's just gotten worse - the pool is now completely closed to the public when the schools are in. I find this very frustrating - with babies/toodlers it's often just a case of getting to the pool whenever you can, between naps.

I totally agree, Some days if my daughters playing up and fighting sleep, I know that she will enjoy a swim and it will tire her out, but some days you can only get in for 2 hours, an hour at a time, usually at dinner time!

mccaugm
04-Feb-08, 22:17
I know what you mean. Its because female teachers cannot check on the little boys in their charge if they have to go into the male changing rooms, in case they encounter a bloke getting changed. And vice versa with male teachers. I don't like it but personally but how about temporary communal changing rooms?

Re the temperature, unless you want your little one to turn blue suggest you take them to Thurso toddler pool. Its warm, close to changing facilities and its bright. Wick is dark and VERY cold.

Lolabelle
04-Feb-08, 22:21
The only thing is getting in for a swim! Theres always something on and hardly any public swimming, very annoying when I feel like taking my baby daughter and cant get in at a decent time [evil]!

It's the same here, I have a season pass, and everytime I go to the pool there is either a school there, or swimming club. I appreciate that they need to use the pool too, but they take up the whole place and no other paying member of the public can get a bit of space.[disgust]

WeeBurd
04-Feb-08, 22:29
I know what you mean. Its because female teachers cannot check on the little boys in their charge if they have to go into the male changing rooms, in case they encounter a bloke getting changed.

Why the sudden change, though? When the school kids are in, MrBurd takes our eldest daughter into the mens with him, whilst I take BabyBurdie in with me. As the schoolkids are utilising the individual changing rooms, hubby would quite happily change himself and the bairn on the bench, but there is usually a female teacher in there already. I mean, he could get his bits out in front of her, but it'd be him that's branded the perv. :roll:

Bobinovich
04-Feb-08, 23:14
Well that's my e-mail of indignation off to the Council. We already feel 'pinched' with the days & times we can take our kids. In Thurso there's only one evening a week which is free at times when our kids are not in bed, and they close at 2pm on weekends which doesn't leave a lot of time either. It's certainly not giving us much use of our Highlife Cards :confused

I do feel that swimming is one of the most important physical things a child can learn - it's great exercise and damn good fun. It's given our two a healthy respect for water (after trying to swallow the pool a time or two!) and they both love it.

Also, as I put in my e-mail - does that mean that the protection of children at the weekend is less of a priority?

Moby
05-Feb-08, 13:57
There is a Pool Users Group which meets every month. It is an open meeting where anyone who uses the pool facilities can come along and make their feelings known to the Pool Management. Not sure where and when the next meeting is but I am sure the pool staff would be able to tell you.

WeeBurd
05-Feb-08, 16:38
Also, as I put in my e-mail - does that mean that the protection of children at the weekend is less of a priority?

Good for you Bobiovich, I only hope you get a satisfactory response.

With regards to the child protection thing, perhaps any parents with kids of school age could help here: aren't parents required to sign permission forms at the start of the year to confirm whether their children are allowed to attend the public swimming pool? If not, wouldn't that be a better option, that way parents can withdraw their child if they have any security concerns? I'm sure the vast majority or parents do not share such extreme concerns as the council appear to be implying. Most of us were brought up with school swimming ourselves - or has there been a sudden increase in incidents of a child protection nature that has warranted this change to policy? :confused

footie chick
05-Feb-08, 16:43
Good for you Bobiovich, I only hope you get a satisfactory response.

With regards to the child protection thing, perhaps any parents with kids of school age could help here: aren't parents required to sign permission forms at the start of the year to confirm whether their children are allowed to attend the public swimming pool? :confused

Yes you have to sign a form saying that you give/or not give permission.

NickInTheNorth
05-Feb-08, 16:47
I believe that the school swimming times from next week are changing - some of them at least - to try and make the publicly available swim times slightly more sensible.

Having said which there are still plenty of times available during the day for swimming.

WeeBurd
05-Feb-08, 16:47
Yes you have to sign a form saying that you give/or not give permission.

Thank you for that, footie chick! :)

Ok, so there is already a policy in place whereby children are not forced to go to the public swimming baths. So is this all just hyper-sensitive PC-ness by the council? It's getting beyond the joke, it really is... :roll:

footie chick
05-Feb-08, 17:07
It all comes back to something that died a LONG time ago. Common sense.

Buttercup
05-Feb-08, 17:49
It all comes back to something that died a LONG time ago. Common sense.

Yes indeed, that's exactly what's lacking! :roll:

Cattach
05-Feb-08, 18:29
I know what you mean. Its because female teachers cannot check on the little boys in their charge if they have to go into the male changing rooms, in case they encounter a bloke getting changed. And vice versa with male teachers. I don't like it but personally but how about temporary communal changing rooms?

Re the temperature, unless you want your little one to turn blue suggest you take them to Thurso toddler pool. Its warm, close to changing facilities and its bright. Wick is dark and VERY cold.

More to do with the present climate of child protection than teachers entering changerooms. Also a few public users did not help by wandering about in the nude when classes were in getting changed. A bit of commonsense and a big towel would have made all the difference!