PDA

View Full Version : Warning Travelling salesmen

dook
04-Feb-08, 20:10
Warning re the numerous travelling salesmen currently parked in the whole of the Somerfield carpark, Wick

Just arrived at my door selling plasma TVs and such like. Very pushy and wouldn't take no for an answer. Don't be fooled into thinking you are going to get a good deal. £650 for the TV. You can buy it online £535 with warranty. Most importantly though, all the boxes are open and they are "refurbished" rentals meaning they will have less than a half life anyway. It is your legal right to ask to see thir "pedlars certificates" but don't worry. They don't have any!!

Another thing of note is that if they turn up at your door make sure you chase them off before they can be found wandering around your garden "looking to see if your in" and you find your heating oil tank empty or worse.

nanoo
04-Feb-08, 20:28
Warning re the numerous travelling salesmen currently parked in the whole of the Somerfield carpark, Wick

Just arrived at my door selling plasma TVs and such like. Very pushy and wouldn't take no for an answer. Don't be fooled into thinking you are going to get a good deal. £650 for the TV. You can buy it online £535 with warranty. Most importantly though, all the boxes are open and they are "refurbished" rentals meaning they will have less than a half life anyway. It is your legal right to ask to see thir "pedlars certificates" but don't worry. They don't have any!!

Another thing of note is that if they turn up at your door make sure you chase them off before they can be found wandering around your garden "looking to see if your in" and you find your heating oil tank empty or worse.
They were just leaving the shop where i work when i went in this evening. They tried to sell the boss a 42" lcd tv for £580, he told them he had a big screen telly but they kept at him. Brought the price down to £550 then as they were getting nowhere, £450. he tried to put them off by saying he would need to talk to his wife. Still pushing it, they left the tv with him and said they would be back in an hour. Needless to say, the boss plugged the tv in and it was working fine(surprise, surprise) Anyway, when they came back they were'nt best pleased when he said, his wife said no as well(he did'nt phone her) they said Okay! you win £350 and it's yours. He still said no and they were'nt too chuffed at all when i saw them leaving the shop. In fact they dumped the telly into the back of their car.;)

brew
04-Feb-08, 20:31
you boss is lucky they didn't try to say that he busted it when they went away.

dook
04-Feb-08, 20:35
They were just leaving the shop where i work when i went in this evening. They tried to sell the boss a 42" lcd tv for £580, he told them he had a big screen telly but they kept at him. Brought the price down to £550 then as they were getting nowhere, £450. he tried to put them off by saying he would need to talk to his wife. Still pushing it, they left the tv with him and said they would be back in an hour. Needless to say, the boss plugged the tv in and it was working fine(surprise, surprise) Anyway, when they came back they were'nt best pleased when he said, his wife said no as well(he did'nt phone her) they said Okay! you win £350 and it's yours. He still said no and they were'nt too chuffed at all when i saw them leaving the shop. In fact they dumped the telly into the back of their car.;)

Yeah. They're total nightmares but must be doing something right. Brand new motorhomes, Landrover Discovery 3's, transits etc etc etc. Was looking on the BBC news site and Edinburgh Police stopped them and got trading standards to rook them. Highland Constabulary has done the same on travellers in Inverness. Taking money from hard workin folk, really sticks in ma craw!! Travellers, not trading standards that is.

northener
04-Feb-08, 20:43
The worst thing you can do is try to politely side-step the issue. As Nanoo has pointed out, all they will do is see this as a weakness and home in on it.

If they hassle 20 people a day and take one taker for their schnide gear - they've won.

rfr10
04-Feb-08, 20:52
Why are the police not moving them out of the car park?

dook
04-Feb-08, 20:56
Probably down to human rights and moving on itinerate travellers.

rfr10
04-Feb-08, 20:58
But they're going to end up making a mess of the place. It's heading that way already. They have no right trying to sell false goods to people so what right do they have taking up the Somerfield car park and possibly not disposing of their rubbish properly?

northener
04-Feb-08, 21:07
Where's a decent far-right government when you need one?

A few 'Das Reich' panzers would sort it.:D

dook
04-Feb-08, 21:07
I would have of expected Somerfields to have asked them to leave or isn't it their car park?

sphinx
04-Feb-08, 21:10
they have to be breaking a law before the police can move them on ...............[lol]

Macwull
04-Feb-08, 21:18
I would have of expected Somerfields to have asked them to leave or isn't it their car park?

The car park belongs to the council and i'm sure the council probably have some red tape stopping them from movin them on, of course thats all that'll happen eventually as they just move from place to place!!
Think its ridiculous hard selling stuff, something should be done about it, i'm sure there paying there council tax etc!! !! !!

bobandag16
04-Feb-08, 21:22
they have to be breaking a law before the police can move them on ...............[lol]
to break the law ' have a car . walk alone . speak to a police man' do not rock the boat . the law is how you wish it used.

johno
05-Feb-08, 10:33
my mate knocked em down to £300 before he chased them. [disgust]
as for moving them, the car park has a sign saying no buses ,no overnight parking/camping. im sure.
but if you move them from one place they,ll just go to another. solve one problem ,create another..

dandod
05-Feb-08, 11:49
these people really get on my nerves.they pay no tax probably get dole money pay no rent or council tax. and us muppets who work hard have to pay for them. i say chase them out of town before they decide they like it here and make somerfield car park their permanent home.there is one word for people like this,leeches.

porshiepoo
05-Feb-08, 17:01
Ah, hubby bumped into these guys yeasterday in the village. They tried to sell him a 42" plasma for 500 quid but he told him he didn';t want one. Most persistant they were so he told em where to shove it. lol. Worked!

rob murray
05-Feb-08, 17:04
these people really get on my nerves.they pay no tax probably get dole money pay no rent or council tax. and us muppets who work hard have to pay for them. i say chase them out of town before they decide they like it here and make somerfield car park their permanent home.there is one word for people like this,leeches.

Well nobody is being forced into buying anything. Just politely say no thanks and shut yer door, same as you do to Jehova Witnesses ! If everyone did this they would leave as obviously there will be no point in them hanging around will there !

Gizmo
05-Feb-08, 17:29
Well nobody is being forced into buying anything. Just politely say no thanks and shut yer door, same as you do to Jehova Witnesses ! If everyone did this they would leave as obviously there will be no point in them hanging around will there !

Actually i love arguing with Jehova Witnesses and welcome them at my door, there are so many things in their belief system that you can tear apart, i once kept one at my front door for an hour and a half and when he left i think he'd become an atheist like me.....job done...lol

dandod
05-Feb-08, 17:47

i wont argue any more as you and treading on thin ice as bringing up religion on a thread about traveling salesmen and the org will probably have to wipe your post and if they dont i wont be fair considering ive been suspended for less.........goodluck

regards old sailor git

dandod
05-Feb-08, 17:49
Actually i love arguing with Jehova Witnesses and welcome them at my door, there are so many things in their belief system that you can tear apart, i once kept one at my front door for an hour and a half and when he left i think he'd become an atheist like me.....job done...lol
mocking other peoples religions and beliefs is nithing to be proud of.

rob murray
05-Feb-08, 17:56
i wont argue any more as you and treading on thin ice as bringing up religion on a thread about traveling salesmen and the org will probably have to wipe your post and if they dont i wont be fair considering ive been suspended for less.........goodluck

regards old sailor git

Is that a fact, didnt know you are arguing with me old chap, as I only made the one posting !! Ok, if someone comes to your door, unsolicited, "selling" you a belief system ( religion based ) then you treat them like all unwanted callers..as I said / repeat, say no thank you politely and shut the door, there is nothing wrong with that statement, is there. By the sound of things these people are not "travelling salesmen" they are fly by night unregulated dealers. To pull innocent hard working legit salespeople into this equation is highly offensive to the legit people isnt it !! A lot more offensive than saying no thank you to an unsolicited Jehova's Witness ( or otehr such callers ) calling at your door. Now if this posting is pulled you may as well stop the whole org as there has been some real ( in my opinion ) offensive nonsense posted ( check out teh capital punishment thread and see for yersel )

Cheers Check !!

karia
05-Feb-08, 18:53
[quote=rob murray;334889 if someone comes to your door, unsolicited, "selling" you a belief system ( religion based ) then you treat them like all unwanted callers..as I said / repeat, say no thank you politely and shut the door, there is nothing wrong with that statement, is there. By the sound of things these people are not "travelling salesmen" they are fly by night unregulated dealers. To pull innocent hard working legit salespeople into this equation is highly offensive to the legit people isnt it !! A lot more offensive than saying no thank you to an unsolicited Jehova's Witness ( or otehr such callers ) calling at your door. Now if this posting is pulled you may as well stop the whole org as there has been some real ( in my opinion ) offensive nonsense posted ( check out teh capital punishment thread and see for yersel )[/quote]

Hear Hear....well said sir!:)

sphinx
05-Feb-08, 19:27
well there still there today in the car park

veekay
05-Feb-08, 19:41
I wondered what all the caravans in the car park were. Noticed most, if not all were foreign ( am I allowed to mention this fact or will I be drummed out) Are they anything to do with the influx of Big Issue sellers that are hanging around as well?

northener
05-Feb-08, 20:00
I wondered what all the caravans in the car park were. Noticed most, if not all were foreign ( am I allowed to mention this fact or will I be drummed out) Are they anything to do with the influx of Big Issue sellers that are hanging around as well?

Nothing to do with 'The Big Issue' these are travellers in the proper sense. A mix of Irish and Brits ( I think, at least the guys I was chatting to were Irish).

They've moved on this evening, my guess is they'll head for Thurso for a couple of days.

karia
05-Feb-08, 20:03
Aye..the Eastern European Big Issue sellers have got so rich out of fleecing the good folks of Caithness that they joined forces with the Jehovahs Witnesses to bulk purchase some beeg telly's and 'intimidate' people into buying them.

All the better for viewing 'The Passion Of Christ' I suppose.:eek:

The original complaints were valid ..but as usual the subject of 'outsiders' caused it to grow legs':roll:

Mik.M.
05-Feb-08, 20:14
Had 2 men in an Irish registered white Transit asking if anyone wanted to buy a cheap LCD TV,They`re the big wide ones they said,really cheap. Everyone ignored them and they left to seek out more victims. What sort of idiots do they think we are?

mandy&baz
05-Feb-08, 20:17
They came into my work last night and were trying to flog them there too.....some little fat irish man!! told him i only like lcd lol

slinky
05-Feb-08, 21:01
They were just leaving the shop where i work when i went in this evening. They tried to sell the boss a 42" lcd tv for £580, he told them he had a big screen telly but they kept at him. Brought the price down to £550 then as they were getting nowhere, £450. he tried to put them off by saying he would need to talk to his wife. Still pushing it, they left the tv with him and said they would be back in an hour. Needless to say, the boss plugged the tv in and it was working fine(surprise, surprise) Anyway, when they came back they were'nt best pleased when he said, his wife said no as well(he did'nt phone her) they said Okay! you win £350 and it's yours. He still said no and they were'nt too chuffed at all when i saw them leaving the shop. In fact they dumped the telly into the back of their car.;) they even had the cheeck to walk in my work today stroll up to me and ask in a busy big factory saying on door no entry unless supervised ,so lets jst say after reading the org last night and this post i was clued up a bit lol,he started offering me a tv worth 2000 he said but hell sell it 500 so i said evryone knows ur game in caithness haslling people lol keeping a striaght face as i advised him ,that everyones talking about them on all over caithness about hassling people they know etc etc he was really keen and listened and turned and walked away:)

DeHaviLand
05-Feb-08, 22:22
Well, they left tonight and headed south. Last I seen of them was at Skiach services. Interestingly, they stopped at every petrol station from Wick to Skiach:confused:
Seen them in the banks today too, cashing cheques that they had got made out to C. Ash. Jaysus, some people just never learn. Very beligerent people, demanding their money. At least one cheque was for £600. So maybe someone got stung for 2 dodgy tellys.

karia
05-Feb-08, 22:32
Well, they left tonight and headed south. Last I seen of them was at Skiach services. Interestingly, they stopped at every petrol station from Wick to Skiach:confused:
Seen them in the banks today too, cashing cheques that they had got made out to C. Ash. Jaysus, some people just never learn. Very beligerent people, demanding their money. At least one cheque was for £600. So maybe someone got stung for 2 dodgy tellys.

Whilst I do not support their sales tactics (as reported)!

What were you doing looking at their banking details and the amounts of the cheques they were cashing?

CCTV might well want a word with you!

Warning to people in caithness..this chap is looking at your details over your shoulder.:eek:

DeHaviLand
05-Feb-08, 22:36

What were you doing looking at their banking details and the amounts of the cheques they were cashing?

Warning to people in caithness..this chap is looking at your details over your shoulder.:eek:

Dont be stupid. Read the bit where I said about being beligerent then try and understand the scenario:mad:

karia
05-Feb-08, 23:45
Dont be stupid. Read the bit where I said about being beligerent then try and understand the scenario:mad:

Yup..get the fact they were beligerent and that is wrong... as I said...quote

'I do not support their sales tactics'

(try reading the post)

It is also wrong to snoop on peoples banking transactions...and I don't honestly think you did..just that you were trying to inflame the situation by claiming that one of their cheques was for £600..Like you'd know that!:roll:

Anything new at all to add or did ye just post to say I was 'stupid'?

Unless of course you work in the bank and have no respect for customer confidentiality.

DeHaviLand
05-Feb-08, 23:59
Now, try to understand for once. I was in the bank, are you following me? Traveller was in the bank, keep up! Traveller was insisting, LOUDLY, that cheque was made out to CASH and not C. Ash ( you still with me). Stop me at any time and I'll go over it again!!!!
Traveller was insisting, LOUDLY AGAIN, that he wanted his £600 CASH. Will I go over that again for you, maybe point out where the beligerence came from?
Seriously, are you having trouble comprehending this, or are you just at your usual tricks and trying to cause trouble?
I can point you to the bank and the cashier in question, or maybe you would prefer to just go on making an absolute nuisance of yourself? Only my good manners prevents me from telling you where to go:roll:, but if you insist, I will.

karia
06-Feb-08, 00:09
Now, try to understand for once. I was in the bank, are you following me? Traveller was in the bank, keep up! Traveller was insisting, LOUDLY, that cheque was made out to CASH and not C. Ash ( you still with me). Stop me at any time and I'll go over it again!!!!
Traveller was insisting, LOUDLY AGAIN, that he wanted his £600 CASH. Will I go over that again for you, maybe point out where the beligerence came from?
Seriously, are you having trouble comprehending this, or are you just at your usual tricks and trying to cause trouble?
I can point you to the bank and the cashier in question, or maybe you would prefer to just go on making an absolute nuisance of yourself? Only my good manners prevents me from telling you where to go:roll:, but if you insist, I will.

Thanks for the explanation..perhaps you could have recounted it earlier in the thread and we'd have known what you were talking about.

fender
06-Feb-08, 09:01
They have gone. Reported to Council in morning, gone by afternoon. Well done Council for acting so quickly. Praise where praise is due.

rob murray
06-Feb-08, 09:38
They have gone. Reported to Council in morning, gone by afternoon. Well done Council for acting so quickly. Praise where praise is due.

Could it be that the good people of Wick / Caithness were less than forthcomming in parting with their cash, thus forcing the dodgy guys to mone on ?

northener
06-Feb-08, 10:20

I think I'm correct in saying that you cannot move on Travellers without serving notice upon them. I think it takes 30 days to issue one - I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of this.

Boozeburglar
06-Feb-08, 15:16
Where's a decent far-right government when you need one?

A few 'Das Reich' panzers would sort it.:D

Do we really want people reading this message board to assume that this kind of thinking is indicative of real Caithness folk?

I suggest we should perhaps state our association with the county on our profile; the native people of Caithness have historically much in common with those displaced and persecuted throughout history.

It is thought that there were up to several million 'itinerants' displaced and murdered during the reign of the Third Reich.

Is that a subject for humour?

buggyracer
06-Feb-08, 15:48
i got told a few years ago of these t.v/tool travelling salesmen staying in a caithness hotel, and lets just say they did a few toilet stops in the room and not in the toilet :eek:[disgust]

dandod
06-Feb-08, 18:47
Is that a fact, didnt know you are arguing with me old chap, as I only made the one posting !! Ok, if someone comes to your door, unsolicited, "selling" you a belief system ( religion based ) then you treat them like all unwanted callers..as I said / repeat, say no thank you politely and shut the door, there is nothing wrong with that statement, is there. By the sound of things these people are not "travelling salesmen" they are fly by night unregulated dealers. To pull innocent hard working legit salespeople into this equation is highly offensive to the legit people isnt it !! A lot more offensive than saying no thank you to an unsolicited Jehova's Witness ( or otehr such callers ) calling at your door. Now if this posting is pulled you may as well stop the whole org as there has been some real ( in my opinion ) offensive nonsense posted ( check out teh capital punishment thread and see for yersel )

Cheers Check !!

sorry ronnny still dont get what the two has in common maybe ones after your money and the other is after your soul..........

regards ould sailor git

dook
06-Feb-08, 19:24

Also liked the look of the Police taking a van load of TV's off them 10 minutes before they hauled out of town. Coincidence?..........

tommy1979
07-Feb-08, 00:57
Also liked the look of the Police taking a van load of TV's off them 10 minutes before they hauled out of town. Coincidence?..........

thats what i like to hear...get it right up them :lol:

Boozeburglar
07-Feb-08, 04:14
Ah, the Police. The most unassailably virtuous of all public servants...

Bastions of common decency...

“Evening all! Fancy a 42” plasma, Sah? Grand! Would you like to accompany me back to the station, Sah? Bring your van, park round the back, and remember the funny handshake when you encounter the desk sergeant! We shall see what the evidence room might hold within to tempt!“

Metalattakk
07-Feb-08, 04:24

regards old sailor git

mocking other peoples religions and beliefs is nithing to be proud of.

Pulitzer Prize-winning stuff. Congrats. I bow in deference to your infinitesimal wisdom.

Why are the police not moving them out of the car park?

Have they been reported to the Police?

Lolabelle
07-Feb-08, 09:23
The original complaints were valid ..but as usual the subject of 'outsiders' caused it to grow legs':roll:

Thanks for the explanation..perhaps you could have recounted it earlier in the thread and we'd have known what you were talking about.

So gracious of you to do exactly what you accuse others of.

dandod
07-Feb-08, 12:24
Pulitzer Prize-winning stuff. Congrats. I bow in deference to your infinitesimal wisdom.

Have they been reported to the Police?
you sad man. if making fun and making fools of others is how you get your kicks i pity those close to you. you are obviously very bitter about something so get it sorted and stop taking it out on others.

Metalattakk
07-Feb-08, 13:21
Dandod, if the cap fits, wear it.