PDA

View Full Version : where do i start

Ash
04-Feb-08, 20:10
planning wedding for 2010 but dunno where to start, any suggestions

anneoctober
04-Feb-08, 20:13
Ash, you've come to the right place!! My daughter got married last year and son due to bite the bullet Feb 15th this year. :eek:
Date/venue/hotel/band just to be getting on wi..........[lol]

brew
04-Feb-08, 20:33

Looks like I better start doing some overtime then.

anneoctober
04-Feb-08, 20:36
Looks like I better start doing some overtime then.
Umm - YES! However you've a great start by choosing Ash for your bride.;) xx

highlander2222
04-Feb-08, 20:40

Do not do it

KCI
04-Feb-08, 20:44
Do not do it

You never change! You are incorrigible! :roll:

Ignore the auld fella, Ash.

Good luck with the wedding plans - buy a few wedding magazines to get some ideas, and decide what kind of wedding you want, and the size of wedding. Make sure you have fun while you plan it, delegate, and don't get too stressed!:D

anneoctober
04-Feb-08, 20:45
Do not do it
Oh dear, someone needs some romancing methinks.......... :lol:

brew
04-Feb-08, 20:50
Do not do it

Thanks for the advise highlander2222, Glad that I never payed for your insite on this.

I am sure that if there is a Mrs highlander2222, she will be not pleased to see you posting

anneoctober
04-Feb-08, 20:50
[quote=KCI;334463]You never change! You are incorrigible!

Ignore the auld fella, Ash.

Good luck with the wedding plans - buy a few wedding magazines to get some ideas, and decide what kind of wedding you want, and the size of wedding. Make sure you have fun while you plan it, delegate, and don't get too stressed!/quote]
Yeah, it's me again Ash :eek: Get yourself a folder, cut out any dress styles you like, flowers, styles of cakes, invitations - lots of places let you have a couple of samples free, before you buy OR have to pay for further ones made up . Colours/ theme/ time of year.....Good grief, help me Orgers I've got weddingitis again......[lol]

Ash
04-Feb-08, 20:53
thank u for all replies and anneoctober for the PMs will get back to you soo, have college work to do for now aaargh! lol x

karia
04-Feb-08, 21:15
Work out what you, Brew, Ellie Grace and Alfie want..then don't let anyone change your mind or hi-jack your choices.

We eloped and had a wonderful, intense and very personal day.

...hopefully you will be remembering this for a lifetime..so ensure you get the 'Special Day' you choose.

........and all the very best to you all in the future!

sphinx
04-Feb-08, 21:19
get in there at the deep end and go for it.........

cuddlepop
04-Feb-08, 21:22
Remember Ash its you and yours special day.
Dont go around trying to please everyone,do what you both want and try to enjoy yourselfs.

Plenty time for Brew to get in all that extra overtime.;)

trix
04-Feb-08, 21:25
get in there at the deep end and go for it.........

says a happily married man - still in love wi his beautiful wife....

true love niver dies eh??

awww...shucks....:Razz:lol:

bobandag16
04-Feb-08, 21:33
why wait 2 years. love is instant. plan no thing go for it . 2 years lost.

trix
04-Feb-08, 21:43
why wait 2 years. love is instant. plan no thing go for it . 2 years lost.

na, ye take yer time ash, am sure ye'l hev a lovely day - congratulations.

one bit o advice - speak til anneoctober!! ;)

....sounds lek she ken all aboot it :lol:

Katy
04-Feb-08, 21:43
I'm getting married in October this year so if you need any help just drop me a PM would be delighted to help out.

I have organised many weddings thro my work at Ackergill Tower so any tips I will be happy to give!

Lots of luck planning your wedding and make sure you enjoy it!

Katy x

unicorn
04-Feb-08, 21:45
Take the stress free way, take off for a weekend and come back married :D

Sapphire2803
04-Feb-08, 21:47
A friend of mine had the full monty, top hat and tails wedding, it cost a fortune and was so complicated and stressful that she didn't enjoy the big day at all, she barely remembers it, she spent all day running around checking on things and making sure everyone else was having a good time...

Whatever you do, don't make that mistake. If you're going for a BIG wedding then make sure there are enough people helping, so that you get to enjoy your day. After that it doesn't matter too much, you can't really go wrong.

My husband and I went to the registry office with 2 best friends as witnesses and a photographer (friend of the family), then it was back home for drinks and a takeaway with our 3 guests and some family members.
Best day ever. :) No stress.
Then for our honeymoon..... Rucksacks and tent at the ready, we hopped in the car and headed for Kinlochleven.

Now... write these at each end of a piece of paper...
You'll probably want to aim somewhere in the middle :lol:

Congratulations

ciderally
04-Feb-08, 21:52
lists..lists...lists....then more lists..tee hee..just enjoy, but the doc will provide the valim when needed....good luck xx

Thumper
04-Feb-08, 21:52
I did that...they never told me you cant do the same to undo it tho :eek:....a weekend away wi a divorce thrown in would be great ;) x

unicorn
04-Feb-08, 21:53
I did that...they never told me you cant do the same to undo it tho :eek:....a weekend away wi a divorce thrown in would be great ;) x
thumper you crack me up ha ha

miranda
04-Feb-08, 22:01
you need to decide if you want a traditional wedding ,registar, or even abroad first then take it from there but as already mentioned its yours and hubby to be big day make it what you want and not what family /friends want
i was a quickie in eh registar ,a meal at eh hotel then home . no arguments no stress and still together after 15yrs.:D

Ash
04-Feb-08, 22:09
i dont want a huge wedding, but want close family and friends there... lots of thinking to be done

NickInTheNorth
04-Feb-08, 22:12
work out what you can afford before you start planning anything else.

there is no point getting into debt for a fancy wedding. it's special because it's your wedding day, not the money spent.

Ash
04-Feb-08, 22:18
work out what you can afford before you start planning anything else.

there is no point getting into debt for a fancy wedding. it's special because it's your wedding day, not the money spent.

thanks nickinthenorth, i know this, dont get people who get themselves into debt for there wedding

lil_kim
04-Feb-08, 22:30
just do whatever you and your partner want and remember the day is about you two. :D all the best!! oh i do love a wedding xxx

anneoctober
05-Feb-08, 15:00
[quote=trix;334523]na, ye take yer time ash, am sure ye'l hev a lovely day - congratulations.

one bit o advice - speak til anneoctober!! ;)

....sounds lek she ken all aboot it /quote]
Yes Trix AND I've attended a Wiccan wedding also , so I can help ye oot there an all................[lol]

Highland Laddie
05-Feb-08, 16:18
Do not do it

33 years married next month, one of my better moves.

poppett
05-Feb-08, 17:52
bobandag16 hit the nail on the head....Life is too short to wait two years to be together. If it feels right, do it.

The day will be special whatever you do, because it will be your special day, hopefully for many years to come.

twiglet
05-Feb-08, 22:09
Why wait till 2010, my oh and I married within 5 months of our first date and the whole wedding cost a couple of hundred pounds. Our reception was held at a local restaurant and as we couldn't afford a proper reception, friends were more than happy to pay for their own meal. The wedding cake was a wedding present. We also had the people that we wanted there and the only downside to the day was that my mother wore black and tried to cause a row with my dad(they've been divorced for years!). Just enjoy your day whatever you do and don't let anyone hijack your day as mothers/ sisters ect try to do, make sure that you have what you want! You are the bride, after all.

trix
05-Feb-08, 22:53
Yes Trix AND I've attended a Wiccan wedding also , so I can help ye oot there an all................[lol]

iv already got yer number anne ;) x x

Riffman
05-Feb-08, 23:06
I have been to a few weddings and the fun ones are always the simple ones!

At the end of the day, you can do it really cheaply if you want too, yet still have a great time!

You have to look at it from an analytical point of view:

--

Aim of Project: To enable two people to get married.

And suddenly it all becomes alot simpler. Its not about making your family happy, or trying to impress your friends, its about just the two of you!

--

Project Plan:

Firstly, as with all projects you need a solid plan to work too!

Like all plans there are several key stages that are mandatory.

These are:

Budget
Timescale
Persons Involved (Team Members)
That is a standard plan for almost any project. Lets break it down and look at the details.

Budget

This is usually a long way down the list, but in reality is actually the #1 item to be sorted out. The budget sets out the the constraints of the wedding and what can, and cannot be afforded. Real money is needed, so get that overtime in now! Always best to avoid debt, so starting with real money is the way to go. Don't forget to allocate some of the wedding budget for the first month after being married as that will be the most expensive one! If you are getting money from relative, try to get it as soon as possible and stick it in a high instrest ISA savings account. That way it is secure from being spent and will earn you a little extra for free.

The budget has to be divided up, and what you save from one part can be used in another. If you plan to have a photographer, then set aside a large portion of your budget, up to 25%! That way you can afford to get someone decent that will produce pictures you will always treasure.

For the reception or meal, don't worry about asking guests to pay if you are really skint. If they really are your friends they won't bat an eyelid.

Timescale:

You have set a rough date of 2010. That is a good start. Some people will say that is too long, but from the projects point of view, the time to plan the better! Planning is half the fun of the wedding if you want it to be that.

The exact date will not have to be finialised just yet, but the sooner the better really as it gives a firm milestone to plan to and allows relative and friends to make their plans in plenty of time. Vital, if like me, all your family live hundreds of miles away.

When laying out the timescale, you should add in milestones and goals that you can tick off as the big day gets nearer. That will help you keep track of things and see if anything could hold up the project.

Remember, Proper Planning Prevents Particularly Poor Performance (the polite version ;))

Persons Involved (Team Members):

Your team is the group of people who is going to make the project a sucess! Firstly it involves the two people getting married. They are the joit team leaders and must take an active role in decision making. As the team leaders their word is final, and overides all other team makers (even mothers in law!)

The rest of your project team will probably be friends and family who are involved with the planning. Good communication is vital, when I decision has been make, the rest of the team must be informed so that everyone knows what is going on. The team leaders must assert their authority over the other team members, so as to prevent poor decisions that could cause annoyance or run the project over budget, or put it off the timescale.

Regular meetings are essential. That is much easier than it sounds, just invite them all round for coffee on a saturday morning and you can do your planning then enjoy the rest of the day without worrying about it. Always writing down decisions made so that you can refer to them to prevent confusion.

The location is something that does not really have to be thought about until the budget is sorted out. Then you know how much money is available and what you can afford. It does not have to be a fancy location, a village hall with a ceildh band and a homemade finger buffet is a darn good fun way of enjoying celebrating for minimal cost!

Contractors:

Lastly, the contracters. These are all the people that you will have to work with and hire for the wedding. Like I already mentioned, the photographer is the #1 contracter to sort out. Most professionals love to be booked early as it gives them time to plan their work as well. A last minute booking will not give them the chance to prepare themselves, or give them time to do their best.

The other people to think about is the register, church, hotel, reception, etc. They will like to know well in advance, and you might even get a discount for booking early, worth asking for!

--

Conclusion:

A wedding does not need to be stressful if carefully planned. The planning does not need to be complicated or excessive, but thorough.

Above all, remember to enjoy yourselves! Draw on other peoples ideas and experiances, but remember that what worked for them, might not work for you, so remember to be yourselves at all times!

Never do something just to please someone else, its murphys law that they will never be pleased no matter what you do!

I hope that helps even in a small way, it is not meant to be intimidating, just a rough guide to a complicated project! You may have guessed that I have though about my wedding plans a bit as well, now just got to convince the girlfriend! [lol]

Cheers,

Sam

WeeBurd
05-Feb-08, 23:37
snip... You may have guessed that I have though about my wedding plans a bit as well, now just got to convince the girlfriend!

Awwww, that has to be the sweetest comment I've read on the .Org for a long time. :) How could she possible refuse such a thoughtful partner!

miranda
05-Feb-08, 23:43
do i detect another org wedding ?????????:D