PDA

View Full Version : Orgers Thread...

justine
04-Feb-08, 14:31
Well i have been a member for over a year now and would like to find out what kind of threads people enjoy.I have noticed over the past year that some threads that are posted are either ignored or just left unanswered.So what kind of thread are you all interested in.
I always thought that it was a community to share thoughts ideas and much more so why are so many threads just left to dissappear into the pits of the next page.
I always try to put info on to someones thread, especially if there are no answers.I feel if they have taken the time to start a thread atleast people can put in something..Instead of it being left blank..

i wuold love to know what has happend to the fun loving org where all questions and posts were fun to join...

Rant over...

Torvaig
04-Feb-08, 14:52
Hi Justine; some are left unanswered because if, like me, people don't go into every thread then some will go ignored but I don't think it is a deliberate thing. For myself I usually go into "new posts" to see if anything takes my fancy but I don't check to see if they have all been answered.

As for the threads I enjoy, I can't say I have any particular subject; some I just read as you can learn a lot about either a subject or a poster by what is written. I love music but don't often go into that dept., as I find I don't know sometimes what they are talking about as it seems to be a different language at times. They all know each other and the local bands etc., and it's not that I am getting old, don't know them and haven't heard about half of what they are discussing! ;)

P.S. I thought I had better answer this one though :)

Sapphire2803
04-Feb-08, 14:54
I feel if they have taken the time to start a thread atleast people can put in something..Instead of it being left blank..

i wuold love to know what has happend to the fun loving org where all questions and posts were fun to join...

Rant over...

A good point indeed
It seems lately that if you don't have a serious issue to discuss, something very deep, meaningful and intellectually stimulating, that there are a number of people who will only post on the thread to tell you that it is inane and that you should flogged in the town square.

Yes it's nice to have a debate going, but what makes the forum interesting (or did at one time) is that there's something for everyone. I think some people are being put off posting by the fear of being flamed.

I think what needs to be remembered is that it is the GENERAL forum. So in theory, anything goes. The people who aren't interested in the light hearted - just for fun - threads, don't have to read them.
I don't know about anyone else, but the reason I spend as much time as I do on the org is that I'm stuck at home most of the time, most of the avenues for meeting people and making friends are not open to me as I look after my disabled mother. So, there's no going out and getting a job for me :( and because I can't work at the mo, I can't afford to go out in the evenings.

So I say..

Bring back the fun, each to their own taste in thread and stop insulting other people for their choice.

Now I'm off to start a completely inane thread because I'm bored. :)

justine
04-Feb-08, 14:57
I know the feeling.I find it hard to join in when it is about caithness.I was no brought up here and there are a lot of things i dont know or understand.I have tried to join in but then i seem to get left on a shelf(not that it matters to me personally)but i imagine some would find it upsetting...Many threads are left and i think of the person who wrote it and think atleast someone could make an effort.I dont read all threads myself and only answer ones that catch my attention,But knowing what kinds of interest people have would be usefull for all...

P.S. you did not have to respond to this...:lol::D

Sapphire2803
04-Feb-08, 15:00
P.S. you did not have to respond to this...:lol:

Cue Panto Chanting...

Oh Yes We Did!!! :lol:

Torvaig
04-Feb-08, 15:08
"P.S. you did not have to respond to this"........... but I have to Justine; I am making it one of my things to do today 'cos I hate to think of anyone feeling left out.

I do know what you mean; you make a post and no-one answers it and you think....aww, is nobody talking to me....:lol: I think that of my friends sometimes; I ring someone and they don't answer, I ring someone else, no answer and by the third or fourth phonecall I just wither into a corner sucking my thumb and muttering....no one loves me, no one loves me.....;)

All the best, love and laughter to all of those who rely on their 'puter for contact with the outside world and a touch of sanity, and I am off now to attend to mundane matters like dealing with self-assessment, shopping etc! xx

karia
04-Feb-08, 15:08
On a good Org day even the most mundane threads can gather momentum and become something witty and inspired.

On a bad Org day Albert Einstein could post and it would still degenerate into personalized bickering and attacks on his spelling.

I like threads that make me think and threads that make me laugh.:D

* I am well aware that Einstein is dead by the way!;)

Torvaig
04-Feb-08, 15:11
"Now I'm off to start a completely inane thread because I'm bored." quote

I'll look out for it although I suspect we are turning this one into such! :lol:

dandod
04-Feb-08, 16:05
Well i have been a member for over a year now and would like to find out what kind of threads people enjoy.I have noticed over the past year that some threads that are posted are either ignored or just left unanswered.So what kind of thread are you all interested in.
I always thought that it was a community to share thoughts ideas and much more so why are so many threads just left to dissappear into the pits of the next page.
I always try to put info on to someones thread, especially if there are no answers.I feel if they have taken the time to start a thread atleast people can put in something..Instead of it being left blank..

Rant over...
i would like to know what has happened to them aswell justine!! i have started a few threads and some had zero response and some only had one or two replys. maybe people are just not as opinionated as they used to be.[lol]

justine
04-Feb-08, 16:17
maybe it could be a simple question of not wanting to be thrown off the org for getting to opinionated. I love to post threads, some are popular, some are not, others have just caused an all out war, but that is what the org is all about.......I just wish it could go back to being a friendly place as i feel IMHO that the org has really changed the past year, and not all for the good...

Lolabelle
04-Feb-08, 22:13
maybe it could be a simple question of not wanting to be thrown off the org for getting to opinionated. I love to post threads, some are popular, some are not, others have just caused an all out war, but that is what the org is all about.......I just wish it could go back to being a friendly place as i feel IMHO that the org has really changed the past year, and not all for the good...

I agree Justine, it is not the same on here anymore. I used to check the org regularly, and it was always good for a laugh, but these days I don't bother as much. The org has been taken over. And it's not for the better.:(

WeeBurd
04-Feb-08, 22:24
I agree Justine, it is not the same on here anymore. I used to check the org regularly, and it was always good for a laugh, but these days I don't bother as much. The org has been taken over. And it's not for the better.

I have discussed this very thing with other Orgers I've met (in person), and the general consensus, is that there is often a fear of 1) incurring infractions, by disagreeing with the wrong people or 2) petty, judgemental responses from those who believe themselves to be intellectual superiors. Personally, I canna be bothered with either, which is why I don't have such a prolific post count, but credit to those who are happy to plough on in, they have my respect! [lol]

I dinna start many threads masel - I'm too sensitive to the fear of no responses[lol]. As to the content of threads though, people can post whatever they want in my opinion- if I don't like the look of a thread, I'll not touch it. I wouldn't post, just for the sake of it, rather only if I wanted to add a coment or whatever. Yes, there are subjects that bore me sensless, but live and let live I say!

bekisman
05-Feb-08, 00:12
Yes, there is fear of posting on some threads, I for one am very careful that I ensure I put a link in each of my postings (which has been noticed by the number of PM's and emails I've had) for my own sin of leaving out a link which is not really required under the rules resulted in my getting three infraction points which are due to run out in March. The fact that very few posters actually do this is neither here nor there, hopefully the New Rules will clarify that posting a reference or link will be obligatory..

There is a common consensus that there are a few senior posters on here who run the show and who shout down us mere mortals, and seem to have a certain power that is afforded to Mods.. it is still a pity we do not know who the mods are (save for one brave soul) so we know not to stir too vigorously. The simple fact that over 5,000; yes, five thousand views were made on the 'Suspended' thread must indicate a certain 'what's going on here' ethos exists.

Even in my relatively short time on the forum I have seen many posters 'disappear' not a word of warning, just 'gone' others tell me they research the previous threads to try and ascertain at what point the disappeared went, what word, what statement..
As I write this I feel that even this harmless and unprovoking explanatory post is earning me rebuke, the PM's are flying ..
But it was not me that brings to the fore the 'lack of fire' presently existing here, others more brave than I have raised their heads.. no one wants anarchy, an uncontrolled free for all, but a place for us here, who have a great interest in Caithness to post without fear of being cast into the wilderness.. Bill & Niall have created this Forum and with a click of a mouse they can kill it, no one wants that.. I do know that work is afoot to clarify and update the rules and this will go some considerable way to make it a fair and equitable place, knowing our boundaries, knowing what lines not to cross..
Hopefully as time passes the General Forum will return to it's Fire and Brimstone (colloquially speaking of course!) I really hope so as it's a great place to be, AND I've just found ANOTHER Cornish person on 'the org'..

Be proud Bill/Niall, nurse this baby and she'll come good, like nappies, things need changing, it's getting there..

Metalattakk
05-Feb-08, 03:45
Sentient words bekisman. Well said.

Although the lack of progress (or notification of progress) Re. Bobinovich's "New Rules" mandate leaves me wondering, in the same sense that the aftermath of the infamous M.U. debacle left me quite astonished.

I do hope that Mod-Bobinovich isn't just trying to sweep the dust under the carpet as happened previously.

I await patiently, but with some degree of suspicion.

Bobinovich
05-Feb-08, 10:51
Don't worry - I'm still on the case and lashing my whip to goad responses from the other Mods over the Mod Policy and rule changes :D.

However guys & gals, don't forget that we do have lives away from the Org and, as with many committees, ideas are batted back and forth until consensus is reached, so please have some patience.

In response to Bekisman's "I have seen many posters 'disappear' not a word of warning, just 'gone' others tell me they research the previous threads to try and ascertain at what point the disappeared went, what word, what statement.." I say this...

There is no real point in looking for the offending posts as they are removed prior to the warning/infraction/suspension/ban
The reason a lot of people are gone is due to persistent re-offending so, unless you can see the full history, there is no way you can ascertain why a poster has gone.
Suspensions & bans are not handed out willy nilly. For example there have been cases where someone has been given infraction points and has then argued back and forth via PM and email that it was not justified, to the point that it is obvious that they are more interested in arguing than actually continuing posting, at which point they have been suspended or banned for continual harassment. Others have taken their argument back onto the forums instantly gaining themselves more points, leading to suspensions.The Forum Rules state...

Moderation Arguments
In order to prevent arguments over our moderation practices, we have a double layered system, all Moderation will be checked by the Admins.

Therefore taking your case to an Admin in the hopes they will override whatever decision has been made is futile, you can guarantee that we will already have discussed the issue with the moderators involved.

Any abuse directed at the moderator in question will lead to an instant permanent ban, they are here to help with the smooth running of the forum and doing so they should not be open to abuse.

Everyone who joins this forum is made to accept these rules, so if people simply accepted their warnings or infractions and just got on with it, paying a little more attention to the remainder of the rules, then there would be a lot less problems.

Angela
05-Feb-08, 11:14
P.S. you did not have to respond to this...

lol justine, I know I didn't.....! ;)

Some of the forums I don't look at much, but I do at least check out most of the threads on the general, genealogy, literature and recipes ones - oh, and the jokes!

Often I just don't have anything to contribute to a thread and I really don't see any point in posting for the sake of it - my posting rate's quite high enough as it is.

I'm afraid I do think some threads get a bit cliquey -you feel all the posters are pals sharing in-jokes, and if you post you'd just be intruding. I don't remember it being like that when I joined in December 2006....but maybe it was and I just wasn't aware of it. :confused

justine
05-Feb-08, 11:23
lol justine, I know I didn't.....! ;)

Some of the forums I don't look at much, but I do at least check out most of the threads on the general, genealogy, literature and recipes ones - oh, and the jokes!

Often I just don't have anything to contribute to a thread and I really don't see any point in posting for the sake of it - my posting rate's quite high enough as it is.

I'm afraid I do think some threads get a bit cliquey -you feel all the posters are pals sharing in-jokes, and if you post you'd just be intruding. I don't remember it being like that when I joined in December 2006....but maybe it was and I just wasn't aware of it. :confused

My sentiments exactly.I find it hard to join in when it seems they are all friends but i still put my pennies worth in.If it goes over looked thats life,but it is nice if people would realise that you are trying to join in and they for their own needs blank you out..But thats orging for you

Flair
05-Feb-08, 11:42
If it's a threat with conflict or an arguement, it's easy for me to join in becasue despite my laid back nature, I like a good fight now and then. Nothing like a good scrap to clear the head.

Threats about Caithness or any local issues are nearly impossible for me to reply to because despite being a "pure blood", I usually don't have a clue what the threat starter or any repliers are talking about.

j4bberw0ck
05-Feb-08, 11:52
Often I just don't have anything to contribute to a thread and I really don't see any point in posting for the sake of it

I couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks, Angela!

j4bberw0ck
05-Feb-08, 11:54
Threats about Caithness or any local issues are nearly impossible for me to reply to because despite being a "pure blood", I usually don't have a clue what the threat starter or any repliers are talking about.

A bit heavy; maybe you mean "threads"!

Flair
05-Feb-08, 12:12
A bit heavy; maybe you mean "threads"!

Yes, thank you Captain Obvious. [disgust]

j4bberw0ck
05-Feb-08, 12:34
Oooh. :lol::lol:

That's the problem with embarrassment after making a simple inadvertant error. It makes folk overreact sometimes. <sigh>

You could have just said "oh yeah, of course that's what I meant" and treated it as a bit of humour as I did. Never mind.

unicorn
05-Feb-08, 12:58
I don't get how anyone can say they don't know who the mods are look at what is written ie new member, orger, 1K orger etc the mods have a different thing written there.

bekisman
05-Feb-08, 13:29
You sure about that? I know one and it just says '1k.orger' and there are a number of these who 'aint mods.
Seem to remember there was a lot of posts about the Mods being 'hidden' so don't really see 'em making it obvious - I might be wrong? maybe others know better?

justine
05-Feb-08, 13:38
I only know two who are mods..And at this time i dont think it is any bother knowing who is and who isnt.They are here to make sure that it all runs smoothly and there is no over the top hackling with others. They do a fantastic job, keep it up guys and gals..You will keep the org a clean safe place for us that just want to talk to others....FANTASTIC......:lol:

unicorn
05-Feb-08, 17:03
well there at least 5 plainly obvious mods, so that is not exactly hidden moderation.

scorrie
05-Feb-08, 17:15
well there at least 5 plainly obvious mods, so that is not exactly hidden moderation.

The Mods names used to be displayed, and unless they have been changed, it is not too great a memory feat to recall who they were/are.

Talking of memory feats, there was a Savant who memorised Pi to 22,000 places in a TV documentary. My daughter asked "What do you think of that Dad?" to which I replied, "That's nothing, I've eaten Pies in 23,000 places"

Flair
05-Feb-08, 18:11
You could have just said "oh yeah, of course that's what I meant" and treated it as a bit of humour as I did. Never mind.

Clearly your idea of 'humour' isn't the same as mine. :roll:

I could have just said that, yeah. But that would be just plain boring.

If you knew what I meant why did you bother correcting me in the first place? :Razz

unicorn
05-Feb-08, 21:00
oi whats wrong with little people???????? :eek:

justine
05-Feb-08, 21:03
oi whats wrong with little people???????? :eek:

Here Here.Well said....:)

j4bberw0ck
05-Feb-08, 21:41
Depends on the type of little..............:lol::lol:

Flair
05-Feb-08, 21:57
I don't really have this aggressive attitude or whatever you want to call it. It's just a gimmick I use. I use it when it can make things more interessting, To spark things up when they're dying down a bit.

My signature doesn't mean anything, I change it to something else when I get bored of having the same one.

justine
05-Feb-08, 23:35
I don't really have this aggressive attitude or whatever you want to call it. It's just a gimmick I use. I use it when it can make things more interessting, To spark things up when they're dying down a bit.

My signature doesn't mean anything, I change it to something else when I get bored of having the same one.
To be honest the org is not the place to really try to jive things up with aggressive talk.Things will get interestng enough in their own time...Happy posting is better:lol:

j4bberw0ck
06-Feb-08, 13:49
Jabber, it is nobler to suffer.....

Hehehehe..... well said. :lol:

Rep on its way :p