PDA

View Full Version : Org options

karia
03-Feb-08, 20:41
Since we have been discussing the usage or otherwise of 'options' provided by the Org..what's the general opinion of the 'invisibility' option which allows members to be active on the forums without any indication that they are on line?

I believe from talking to some people that this is sometimes used to 'bomb' a thread with an inflammatory comment then 'appear' not to be on-line when the responses arrive!

Scenario

You consider responding to a post that annoys you..the sender is apparently off line so you don't reply, thinking you'd prefer a 'live, full and frank' discourse when next he or she is online ....
........by the next day...the moment has passed and the self rendered 'invisible poster' wins the argument by default.

Blimey, I look cute in this Flak jacket!;)

unicorn
03-Feb-08, 20:48
I find it useful when I want some privacy to just browse. It is a small area where loads of people know each other and there is nothing more annoying than I noticed you were still up cos you were on the org phonecalls :roll: (sorry wellies) :lol:

Moira
03-Feb-08, 21:58
I think you can safely take your Flak jacket off Karia

I daresay it is a matter of choice.

I'm not in the habit of "bombing" threads. If I felt compelled to having a "'live, full and frank' discourse" with anyone here, I think I would probably PM them and invite them to join me in FlashChat (http://forum.caithness.org/chat/flashchat.php). I can't say for sure though, because I've never done it.

BTW - I have something else to do over the next hour or two so will probably miss your reply. ;)

Angela
03-Feb-08, 22:27
Once I've logged on, I tend to stay logged on to the Org all day, even when I'm in a different room, or I've gone out.

No sinister reasons, but unless I'm giving it my full attention, I usually leave my light off. Otherwise, I've sometimes found people have expected an immediate response to a post or a PM and I've just not been here! Tut tut, such dereliction of duty!! :eek:

I'm really not a devious person, there's a great deal more in my life than the Org, and the thought of "bombing" a thread (a new term to me I have to say) has never crossed my mind. :roll:

Thumper
03-Feb-08, 22:41
I do use my buddy list but thats because I am a bit lazy and it saves me having to look too hard if I want to ask a "friend" something,never used the ignore list apart from when I accidentally put all my buddies on it :eek:....took me 2 days to notice, I thought everybody wasnt speaking to me and not posting either [lol] x

Green_not_greed
03-Feb-08, 22:46
..what's the general opinion of the 'invisibility' option which allows members to be active on the forums without any indication that they are on line?

Not sure Karia. I've never used it and can't see any point of it unless sneakiness is at play of some sort....

GNG

Wellies
03-Feb-08, 22:54
Therefore it can be handy to Unicorn :lol:

Margaret M.
03-Feb-08, 23:03
Since we have been discussing the usage or otherwise of 'options' provided by the Org..what's the general opinion of the 'invisibility' option which allows members to be active on the forums without any indication that they are on line?

Since I didn't know it existed, I obviously have as much use for it as I do the buddy/ignore list. An option is an option and if people use it, whether it be the buddy/ignore option or this stealth thingie, it is their choice. I guess if someone with whom I do not want to communicate was constantly trying to chat or whatever, Invisibility Option would then become my Buddy.

I don't care enough to watch the comings and goings of anyone here to see if they are sneaking around or not.

trix
03-Feb-08, 23:30
hi Ak

i da use it cos i da need til, i da sneak aboot or bomb threads, i da think i wid be brave enough til take on any o' these guys :eek: im a bit scared o' some o' them.

however, if ma boss wis an orger then i wid hev til use it, cos she wid ken that i wis orgin up really late an no doin what i promised i wid be doin....ma SVQs [evil]

karia
03-Feb-08, 23:42
hi Ak

i da use it cos i da need til, i da sneak aboot or bomb threads, i da think i wid be brave enough til take on any o' these guys :eek: im a bit scared o' some o' them.

You have no need to fear anyone..and your honest approach leaves many a lesser person standing!:)

justine
03-Feb-08, 23:42
I use it, and like unicorn i like to browse quietly and join in when i feel...I always respond to posts that given back, but it is useful.It is anyones choise whether they want to browse publicly or quietly...

trix
04-Feb-08, 00:02
an anyway....i kwite lek til hev a wee nosey til see whose on. i lek til see if ma friends are on an i lek ma friends til see if am on.

an i ken when 'e phone rings its probly 'e auld chile sayin - "stop tellin ma private business" :Razz[lol]

unicorn
04-Feb-08, 00:17
I think wellies has become invisible :lol:[lol]

changilass
04-Feb-08, 00:33
I am mostly on invisible, because thats the way I like it.

karia
04-Feb-08, 01:05

Grand....you like it why?:confused

Changilass as someone who chooses 'invisible' status...you can tell us why you prefer it...........

...........And speak unto the benefits therein!

richman
04-Feb-08, 01:10
i didna ken ye could be in visible !!

i 'm sneakin up on ye karia . :lol:

in visible ? wi that big red blob on the end o ma nose , i dinna think so . :lol:

serious lek , can ye see me ??

golach
04-Feb-08, 01:12
Me too now changilass, why not its an option on the Org, use it!!! not abuse it.

karia
04-Feb-08, 01:17
i didna ken ye could be in visible !!

i 'm sneakin up on ye karia .

in visible ? wi that big red blob on the end o ma nose , i dinna think so .

serious lek , can ye see me ??

No..but I havenae been goosed since christmas!;)

helenwyler
04-Feb-08, 01:21
You have no need to fear anyone..and your honest approach leaves many a lesser person standing!:)

Karia, you are sounding very sanctimonious.

It was you who first disabused me of the notion that the red light, which is on by the avatar when you are 'invisible', did not mean that other orgers knew that you were using the invisibility facility.

Are you just having a laugh, or do you honestly never use it, and are just chafing other orgers who admit to using it, for whatever reason?

helenwyler
04-Feb-08, 01:31
I am only invisible because I have gone to bed.

golach
04-Feb-08, 01:35
I am only invisible because I have gone to bed.
good Night Helen

karia
04-Feb-08, 01:35
Karia, you are sounding very sanctimonious.

It was you who first disabused me of the notion that the red light, which is on by the avatar when you are 'invisible', did not mean that other orgers knew that you were using the invisibility facility.

Are you just having a laugh, or do you honestly never use it, and are just chafing other orgers who admit to using it, for whatever reason?

Hi Helen,

Not at all my friend,

Simply mentioning it's 'possible' uses.....I used it only last Friday when readying myself for my friend's funeral and not wishing to engage with folks...a valuable tool!

I do, however , deplore the use by people who make 'big antagonistic statements' then turn their light off..brooking no discussion and assuming no responsibility..sure I could wait until a week on Tuesday to answer their question.. but it does kinda forestall the flow of the debate.

Moira
04-Feb-08, 01:41
Hi Karia

I'm back now. Would you care to join me in the Chatroom? You can join by pressing the FlashChat (http://forum.caithness.org/chat/flashchat.php) Option on the Blue Bar at the top of your screen. :)

karia
04-Feb-08, 01:46
Hi Helen,

Not at all my friend,

Simply mentioning it's 'possible' uses.....I used it only last Friday when readying myself for my friend's funeral and not wishing to engage with folks...a valuable tool!

I do, however , deplore the use by people who make 'big antagonistic statements' then turn their light off..brooking no discussion and assuming no responsibility..sure I could wait until a week on Tuesday to answer their question.. but it does kinda forestall the flow of the debate.

I have pm'd you helen.

Margaret M.
04-Feb-08, 02:48
There is obviously more going on than I know or care to know but this thread seems kinda silly to me. If I want to be invisible the entire time that is no-one's business.

I have yet to see a time gap forestall any debate on here. Submit your answer it will be there the next time the poster stops by.

Turnng a light off or signing off is one's perogative. It would never occur to me that I need to stick around in case someone wants to debate what I have just posted.

karia
04-Feb-08, 03:11
There is obviously more going on than I know or care to know but this thread seems kinda silly to me. If I want to be invisible the entire time that is no-one's business.

I have yet to see a time gap forestall any debate on here. Submit your answer it will be there the next time the poster stops by.

Turnng a light off or signing off is one's perogative. It would never occur to me that I need to stick around in case someone wants to debate what I have just posted.

Hi margaret,

Signing off is quite different..it is not a deception.

Forestalling an argument does not stop debate but changes it surely..one party is responding spontaneously and the other in a carefully weighed judged and edited fashion..over time..and possibly through their lawyer!;)

I admire your ability to stay passionate about an org debate for 48 hours or more.... I'll bet you are a darned fine chess player!:lol:

Metalattakk
04-Feb-08, 04:39
Hi margaret,

Signing off is quite different..it is not a deception.

Forestalling an argument does not stop debate but changes it surely..one party is responding spontaneously and the other in a carefully weighed judged and edited fashion..over time..and possibly through their lawyer!;)

I admire your ability to stay passionate about an org debate for 48 hours or more.... I'll bet you are a darned fine chess player! :lol:

Seriously, you seem to have problems differentiating between a forum and a chatroom.

JAWS
04-Feb-08, 04:48
As far as I can see those people who make a choice to use the option of being "Invisible" are perfectly entitled to, the choice is their's.

I use it, and for the information of those who think they should have a right to know why, the answer is quite simple, "It's because I have decided I want to and the reason for that is my business alone and that of nobody else!"

Oh, and I tend to stay continuously logged on so being "visible" would not indicate if I were there or not.
One thing is certain, having grave concern over who may or may not be "Invisible" on the Forums will occupy my attention for about half a second more than worrying if the Sun will still be in the sky in the Morning.

unicorn
04-Feb-08, 09:11
I don't think I have ever seen any of this bombing that you refer to anyway, you are starting to look like a curtain twitcher karia, with the what are you doing and why questions :roll:

Torvaig
04-Feb-08, 10:33
Hi Helen,

Not at all my friend,

Dear Karia, as has been said previously, this is a forum which means that if you post something, someone may answer or they may not. You may be totally ignored by all, you may start off an interesting thread (as you yourself frequently do), you may have something you want to say but don't have the time to consider their reply at the moment, you may reply to a thread and be totally ignored etc., etc. You cannot expect a response immediately everytime you post something in the middle of a "live" conversation; sometimes folk have to look up a reference or quote and personally, I certainly wouldn't ignore the 'phone or a visitor just to remain in a debate; forums don't work like that.

Sometimes you can see something that was posted a day or so ago and you want to reply even though it is in the middle of many other posts; that is where the "quote" system come into play and means you can join a thread at any time; as I am doing at the moment.

I know I wouldn't dream of waiting to reply until I could see a green light; I would make my point there and then; we all have other things to do besides wait for a reply on a forum and that is the beauty of it. Sometimes it can take days before you get a response as the person hasn't been on the org for some time.

Again, as has been said previously, the chat room is the place for live conversation.

We can have a discussion, a heated discussion, a spasmodic one or be totally ignored, such is the nature of the mechanics of a forum.

Finally, if you are having trouble with someone in particular, pm them or report them via the bad report system depending on the problem; don't let it upset you any more; do something about it and good luck!

justine
04-Feb-08, 12:16
I don't think I have ever seen any of this bombing that you refer to anyway, you are starting to look like a curtain twitcher karia, with the what are you doing and why questions :roll:

a little harsh dont you think. I thought the org was for asking questions, and what fors...everyone on here could be classed as a curtain twitcher...:(

canuck
04-Feb-08, 12:44
I've never come across a need to be invisible, but I suppose it would be a handy tool in certain situations. What I would really like to be able to do is loose 20 pounds. Does the org forum have an option to make some parts of me invisible?

justine
04-Feb-08, 12:46
If you really want to loose 20 pounds then send it to me...;)
I know losing weight is a nightmare.I find getting it off easy, but keeping it off is a nightmare....i look at a chocolate cake and put on 10 lbs..:eek:

karia
04-Feb-08, 12:58
I don't think I have ever seen any of this bombing that you refer to anyway, you are starting to look like a curtain twitcher karia, with the what are you doing and why questions

I never asked anyone what they were doing..or why!:confused

I asked what people thought about the options provided....and indeed some people were unaware of them and have thanked me for bringing them to their attention.

I didn't expect so much excitement!

By the way..no curtains, they are sooo last year... I've got some rather swanky blinds!:lol:

MadPict
04-Feb-08, 13:08
It's a privacy thing - nothing else. If a member wishes to remain invisible that is their choice and their privacy should be respected. They may have access to the forums from work and may opt to be invisible just in case their boss or co-worker is also a forum member. There may be other reasons.

I suspect anyone coming into the forums like a Stealth Bomber to drop ordnance would soon come up on the radar...

justine
04-Feb-08, 13:11
It's a privacy thing - nothing else. If a member wishes to remain invisible that is their choice and their privacy should be respected. They may have access to the forums from work and may opt to be invisible just in case their boss or co-worker is also a forum member. There may be other reasons.

I suspect anyone coming into the forums like a Stealth Bomber to drop ordnance would soon come up on the radar...

I would have thought using the works computer to log onto the org would not be tolerable..Many have been reprimanded for using the computers for their own personal reasons,although i would like to add that i am one of those that would use it if i could get away with it...

Torvaig
04-Feb-08, 14:38
"By the way..no curtains, they are sooo last year... I've got some rather swanky blinds!:lol:" quote...

I like your style.....:lol:

johno
04-Feb-08, 14:49
What i would like to know is how do some member.s know who the mod,s are & how do they know how many infraction points other member,s have and are able to tell them when they are going to get suspended even before it happen,s. And dont tell me that does,nt happen , it did happen to me recently
in a pm. :confused

canuck
04-Feb-08, 22:47
What i would like to know is how do some member.s know who the mod,s are ...

Mem'ries,
Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were

karia
04-Feb-08, 22:59
'Could it be that it was all so simple then
or has time re-written every line

If we had the chance to do it all again.tell me.would we? Could we?'

Sheesh..let's hope we'd do it much better..if you don't learn as you go along..........what's the point?:roll:

roblovesplastic
04-Feb-08, 23:07
your a head[lol]