PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with John O'Groats?

nawthun
03-Feb-08, 18:19
Not being a Caithnessonian (physically), I was wondering if someone could fill me in a little bit about what the future plans are for John O'Groats? The article really didn't provide me much insight and besides, I live in Panama! BUT, Thurso is my 2nd home always was and always will be.

Tks for any inputs.

SNOWDOG
03-Feb-08, 23:16
I am from John o' Groats and am rather dismayed at the poor media attention Groats has been getting lately. Various travel guides and such have described the place as tacky, ugly, unfriendly and boring. What on earth do these people want or expect? (if they have actually been there in the first place) Groats at the end of the day is a scattered village, that just happens to be at the end of the road. To some Groats may look bare, but it boasts views, walks, cliff formations and sealife that are second to none, so what if it has an abundance of gift shops that sell tartan and teatowels, thats what the majority of tourists want! It is very unfortunate that the Groats Hotel has fallen into such a state, but i believe there are plans afoot to redevelop the site to its former glory, and the sooner the better i say because the John o' Groats Hotel together with the Puffin and the Stacks of Duncansby are the icons for the area!

trix
03-Feb-08, 23:35
'iss is totally irrelevant but......i wis in john o groats aday.....!!! :Razz

even tho it wisna a great day, 'e view wis FANTASTIC :D

Boozeburglar
03-Feb-08, 23:40
Various travel guides and such have described the place as tacky, ugly, unfriendly and boring.

They say what they see, sorry! I have taken numerous people their and have frequently met with sullen service. You cannot afford to have that in a place trying to attract tourists.

so what if it has an abundance of gift shops that sell tartan and teatowels, thats what the majority of tourists want!

Really? None that I have taken there, they were much more interested in local crafts, some of which are represented, though not enough. I think tourists are slightly more sophisticated nowadays, there is surely room to cater for broader tastes, rather than have several shops replicating the same tat.

the John o' Groats Hotel together with the Puffin and the Stacks of Duncansby are the icons for the area!

For the John O'Groats area, certainly, as far as the hotel goes...though not for a long time has it lived up to the idea.

The stacks are of course amazing and perhaps could be made more of a feature, with an exhibit at the tourist centre?

Let's hope things improve.

neepnipper
04-Feb-08, 08:51
The Viking Centre in Auckengill closed a couple of years ago, the council were meant to be doing repairs to the building but nothing ever happened, wouldn't it be a good idea to have the Viking Centre in Groats? Oh, I think they were going to rename it the Broch Centre which seems a bit daft as most people would know what a Viking is but not everyone would know what a broch is.

scotsman1
04-Feb-08, 09:31
Not being a Caithnessonian (physically), I was wondering if someone could fill me in a little bit about what the future plans are for John O'Groats? The article really didn't provide me much insight and besides, I live in Panama! BUT, Thurso is my 2nd home always was and always will be.

Tks for any inputs.

The future plans are not as yet finished, the open day on Saturday will try and get the views and ideas in order to see what a range of people want to see there. It'll be several months before you see a plan completed. Anyway Groats is one of the best and friendliest places in Caithness in my opinion, people are always willing to talk to you and help you out, as a comparison to Wick, Thurso or Halkirk!
Give it some time and I can gurantee that the finished product at groats will be phenominal. :):)

Sapphire2803
04-Feb-08, 10:12
The Viking Centre in Auckengill closed a couple of years ago, the council were meant to be doing repairs to the building but nothing ever happened, wouldn't it be a good idea to have the Viking Centre in Groats? Oh, I think they were going to rename it the Broch Centre which seems a bit daft as most people would know what a Viking is but not everyone would know what a broch is.

As far as I know, they've been told that they have to get an expert in from Inverness to move the exhibits. They're just waiting for him/her to finally appear.

I don't know about it being called the broch centre, as far as I knew it was going to be renamed 'The Nicholson Museum' and of course it's based right opposite where John Nicholson lived.

I do think a separate viking centre/exhibition in John O'Groats would be a fantastic idea though. It would be nice if one of the buildings was made into an exhibition centre. It wouldn't have to be big, but they could run each exhibition for a month or two. It would mean that there would be something new for people to see on subsequent visits.

I've been to Land's End and I didn't like that at all. We camped nearby and walked to the actual touristy bit because it cost a couple of pound to park there. As I recall it was mostly video games and expensive things to get your children to spend your money. The one noticable (nice) difference was that the hotel was open and the bar and restaurant - which is in a sort of conservatory, looking out over the sea - were packed, lots of people were sitting outside with drinks too and it was just as windy as Groats :).

I think that's the key, get that flippin hotel open, cos right now, no matter how much effort is put in up there, that hotel is always going to spoil it. A path down to the beach on the left would be nice too and maybe a picnic area, sheltered from the wind.

nawthun
09-Feb-08, 22:25
The future plans are not as yet finished, the open day on Saturday will try and get the views and ideas in order to see what a range of people want to see there. It'll be several months before you see a plan completed. Anyway Groats is one of the best and friendliest places in Caithness in my opinion, people are always willing to talk to you and help you out, as a comparison to Wick, Thurso or Halkirk!
Give it some time and I can gurantee that the finished product at groats will be phenominal. :):)

Thank you Scotsman1. I appreciate your straight-forward and unbiased views. I will be keeping tabs on this particular subject.
Tks again.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
09-Feb-08, 22:55
after being away for 7 years i am delighted to be moving home shortly to the groats vicinty..... there are only two other places id rather be.....

Saint John NB or Applecross on the west coast....both unrealistic options for living/working so groats is the next best thing....

best folk in the county......plenty space..... nothing better than taking horse a blast along the niss to sannick, or up to lighthouse and stacks..... long time coming!!!