PDA

View Full Version : wick Lifeboat and wick Pipe Band concert/dance

Fran
03-Feb-08, 17:36
What a great concert and ceilidh/dance held in the assembly rooms last night organised by Wick Lifeboat and wick pipe Band.There was a great atmosphere and all the acts were really good. i especially liked empty House, the three ladies sang beautifully, hope we hear more of them. Raymond Bremner was excellent, i have never heard him sing before, but hope i will again. Philip todd was also very good, and the wick north School children were a joy to listen to. the dancers were enjoyable and of course the wick Pipe Band excellent as usual.
This was very well organised and credit must go to those who organised the event which was much enjoyed by around 200 people.

TBH
03-Feb-08, 17:37
Pipe band has never been the same since they lost Grant Lyle.

bluelady
03-Feb-08, 17:50
Rubbish, the band is a team and a good one, one man dosnt make a difference to the way they play http://www.rootschat.com/forum/Smileys/classic/tongue.gif (javascript:replaceText(' :P', document.postmodify.message);)

Lucy
03-Feb-08, 18:35
I agree Fran. i was at the concert and ceilidh last night and we had a great time. as you say all the musicians and dancers that took part were brilliant. the ceilidh afterwards was with a band called Whisky who were excellent. they had everyone on the floor the whole night. There were folk from all age groups and i must pass on a comment on the younger generation who were there.
Contrary to what you normally hear about them being drunk and disorderly. The youngsters had a fantastic night. Many of them were from the Pipe band and the Elyse Lyall school of dancing. their behaviour was exceptional and they danced the whole night, everything from "dashing white sergeant" to "strip the willow" they were a credit to the community.:D:D

Well done and a big thankyou to everyone who attended.

Joey
03-Feb-08, 18:37
Was at both the concert and dance. Was an absolutely excellent evening all round and everyone I spoke to thought the same!! It was great to see so many young people attending and enjoying both events.

Hats off to the organisers and a big well done to the participants. Goes to show that there is some REAL talent in the county.

Is it to be an annual event?

gadc4474
03-Feb-08, 19:31
Pipe band has never been the same since they lost Grant Lyle.

Didnt realise that grant has left the pipe band as far as im aware grant is still involved we the band .

lynne duncan
03-Feb-08, 20:36
also at the concert thoroughly enjoyed it, well done to the organisers. and hats off to the moving mikes, daughter thought they were priceless

Camra
03-Feb-08, 21:26
Yes, i believe Raymond was suffering from a nasty case of 'droop'.

Mr P Cannop
03-Feb-08, 22:35
did any one get any video for youtube ??

Alli
03-Feb-08, 22:53
The turnout for this concert was fantastic. Old and young alike enjoyed various acts with lots of hilarity with the "Mikes". Alistair Lamont inadvertantly caused great hilarity with his comments on men volcalists giving pleasure.

Unfortunately Grant had a prior engagement with Daniel Mcphee. Grant is still with the Pipeband and continues to tutor pupils to a very high standard on both pipeband and kit drumming.

Whisky were brilliant last night, so well done to Morris and band. I also agree with Lucy about the kids from the dancing school and pipeband, they danced all night and kept everyone entertained. The North school choir were very good as well. Infact credit to all must be said. I'm not a Gaelic lover but the signing was superb.

TBH
04-Feb-08, 04:30
Rubbish, the band is a team and a good one, one man dosnt make a difference to the way they play http://www.rootschat.com/forum/Smileys/classic/tongue.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:replaceText%28%27%20:P%27,%20document.postmod ify.message%29;)The lack of one of the best drummers to come from caithness sure makes a difference.

Didnt realise that grant has left the pipe band ( Maybe someone has mistaken him for his dad who passed away ) as far as im aware grant is still involved we the band .Grant Plays with Beauly alongside his brother.

Alice in Blunderland
04-Feb-08, 08:08
Yes, i believe Raymond was suffering from a nasty case of 'droop'.

Well just dont know what to make of that....... :lol:
Raymond aka Weeboyagee has at last staggerred home so it must have been a good night/weekend :cool:

weeboyagee
04-Feb-08, 16:56
Thanks for the kind messages - the night was a great night - and the laugh with the mic's and sound system did add to it... A woman told me as we were leaving that she was sure Baikie's Ghost had followed me to the Assembly Rooms that night....

Unfortunately, the legacy of a throat infection has been left from the weekend and difficulty in talking - aye right no funny comments.... and no its nothing to do with what Alice is insinuating!...

WBG :cool:

Mr P Cannop
04-Feb-08, 17:07
did any one get any video for youtube ??

Joey
04-Feb-08, 19:34
Someone videoed the whole show. I think someone said it was Alastair Sinclair but no idea what his intentions are.

weeboyagee
04-Feb-08, 22:02
Hmmm,.... I wasn't aware that the whole show and all the acts were being recorded!

WBG :cool:

Alli
04-Feb-08, 23:25
The lack of one of the best drummers to come from caithness sure makes a difference.

Grant Plays with Beauly alongside his brother.

On good authority Just to put the record straight, Grant Lyall is, and will continue to be the Drum Sergeant of Wick Pipe Band he remains a highly valued and key member of the band. He will however compete at "the majors" in this forthcoming season with Beauly Firth and Glens pipe band. In my opinion Grant is without doubt the best pipe band or kit drummer that Caithness has produced.

Mr P Cannop
05-Feb-08, 17:02
Someone videoed the whole show. I think someone said it was Alastair Sinclair but no idea what his intentions are.

do you have Alastair Sinclair's phone number ??