PDA

View Full Version : SkyPlus Problems

Edna
03-Feb-08, 14:34
Is anyone having problems with there sky at the moment. When i am watching a programme, the screen sort of freezes, the people sort of go into slow motion and the speech is all weird. I was just wandering was it the weather that we have had or it is the box going faulty, it doesnt happen on all the sky channels.

Cattach
03-Feb-08, 15:01
Is anyone having problems with there sky at the moment. When i am watching a programme, the screen sort of freezes, the people sort of go into slow motion and the speech is all weird. I was just wandering was it the weather that we have had or it is the box going faulty, it doesnt happen on all the sky channels.

No problems with any channels I have watched - Thurso.

bekisman
03-Feb-08, 15:36
Yes! we're out west (as if that matters) but it's as you say, BUT BBC24 seems perfectly ok - just the other few are freezing..

bekisman
03-Feb-08, 15:56
update on ours;
Our Sky+: Majority of channels (apart from BBC) run for 22 seconds then freeze..
We also have a normal Sky and this just shows an 'Insert your viewing card' message!, so pretty sure Sky has problems somewhere!

j4bberw0ck
03-Feb-08, 16:08
Had some "clicking" and pixellation, and some freezing to the point where a programme is compketeky unwatcheable. Not on all channels. Seems to be when the wind blows; I'm guessing the dish is getting blown about a bit, but would have expected that to affect all channels.

bekisman
03-Feb-08, 16:15
Been onto Sky, and they recommend to switch off the TV and Box, then off at the mains, leave for at least a minute and put it all back on again, they implied that the box needed 're-setting'.. Tried this and everything is fine! (best of luck folks)

Moonboots
03-Feb-08, 16:15
Hi,

It not a problem with Sky but a problem with your Sky dishes.

It seems like they have moved with the wind.. this is quite a common issue.
Just call Sky up and get an engineer call-out but i do advise that there is about a 3 weeks wait time.

To check the signal strength goto the Services menu then No.4 and then No.6 and you will be able to see what the quality and strength is.
If the bars are low then your dish has moved.

Hope this helps

Moonboots
03-Feb-08, 16:17
Been onto Sky, and they recommend to switch off the TV and Box, then off at the mains, leave for at least a minute and put it all back on again, they implied that the box needed 're-setting'.. Tried this and everything is fine! (best of luck folks)

This may have sorted your problem for the time being as it could have been a build-up of static on your box.

I would still suggest checking the signal.

bekisman
03-Feb-08, 16:24
I think you're right moonboots ref the static - checked signal strength and it's fine (although we get great winds here, the dish is well protected from any angle it comes from)

Moonboots
03-Feb-08, 16:29
Glad to hear that your dish is protected by the wind bekisman as theres not much places to put a dish to make sure its sheltered on a house.

EDDIE
03-Feb-08, 19:14
just as a matter of interest do u orgers know that if u take the batterys out of the sky remote control for more than ten secs u can ruin the software in the control and will have to buy a new one

pirateeye
04-Feb-08, 00:07
just as a matter of interest do u orgers know that if u take the batterys out of the sky remote control for more than ten secs u can ruin the software in the control and will have to buy a new one

thats not actually true. you don't ruin the software at all you only lose the code for your tv and just have to find the code. each tv has a code for the remote and if you leave the batteries out for more than ten or twelve seconds then you lose the code, but you don't have to buy a new remote! and if you change the batteries quick enough you won't have even have to find the code! :)

Moonboots
04-Feb-08, 12:45
Its true what Pirateeye has said.

Its only the code for the tv that you will lose.

Just for your info.....
If you do not know your code then all you have to do is reprogram it.
Just press TV then Select and Red together until the led flashes twice.
then press TV and Off buttons alternative until the TV turns off then press Select to store it.

Do take your time to press the tv and off buttons as sometimes you will miss the code to set.

Sapphire2803
04-Feb-08, 13:06
Just for your info.....
If you do not know your code then all you have to do is reprogram it.
Just press TV then Select and Red together until the led flashes twice.
then press TV and Off buttons alternative until the TV turns off then press Select to store it.

Do take your time to press the tv and off buttons as sometimes you will miss the code to set.

My remote now works the telly again after a 6 month break :lol:
Thank you

Moonboots
04-Feb-08, 20:52
Glad to be of assistance Emma

anneoctober
04-Feb-08, 20:59
I'm jumping on the wagon moonboots, we are forever turning sky off and leaving it for abt 10 mins, then we're up & running again. Is there something amiss here, someone said we might need a new skyplus box.........:~(

Moonboots
05-Feb-08, 00:09
Could you explain as to why you have been turning it off..
Is the box freezing or picture breakup... etc?

anneoctober
05-Feb-08, 14:49
Could you explain as to why you have been turning it off..
Is the box freezing or picture breakup... etc?
Both, pet. No one else that I know has the problem to the same extent as poor us!:(

Moonboots
07-Feb-08, 10:13
9 times out of 10 it will be you LNB on front of the dish.
Could be caused by water damage in the LNB or cable. This can cause your box to freeze and stop responding which means you have to reset the box (turn off).

Basically i would get onto Sky and get an engineer out. If you have been with them for longer than 12 months. They will try and ask you for £65 a callout then ask to cancel and you will get put through to cancellations who will provide you the callout Free of charge.

Colin Chessor's guys will eliminate what the fault is.

Hope this helps.

anneoctober
07-Feb-08, 18:57
9 times out of 10 it will be you LNB on front of the dish.
Could be caused by water damage in the LNB or cable. This can cause your box to freeze and stop responding which means you have to reset the box (turn off).

Basically i would get onto Sky and get an engineer out. If you have been with them for longer than 12 months. They will try and ask you for £65 a callout then ask to cancel and you will get put through to cancellations who will provide you the callout Free of charge.

Colin Chessor's guys will eliminate what the fault is.

Hope this helps.
Thanks moonboots, will let you know how we get on....... :D