PDA

View Full Version : Pentland Ferries (merged threads)

Tymey
02-Feb-08, 12:15
I see that Pentland Ferries are to introduce a shiny new high-speed catamaran to their fleet this year. However, will they consider upgrading the terminal at Gills which is an absolute disgrace. The toilets are disgusting and the waiting room is damp.

It doesn't say much for Caithness IMHO.

Mizpah
02-Feb-08, 12:25
:D I think Pentland Ferries do a great service especially when you think that receive no Government funding unlike North-Link which gets millions thrown at it and hope they prosper more when the new ferry arrives.

EDDIE
02-Feb-08, 12:48
:D I think Pentland Ferries do a great service especially when you think that receive no Government funding unlike North-Link which gets millions thrown at it and hope they prosper more when the new ferry arrives.

spot on totaly agree with u

iain
02-Feb-08, 12:55
spot on totaly agree with u

They were about £50 cheaper than Northlink so I agree with you

NickInTheNorth
02-Feb-08, 13:08
I see that Pentland Ferries are to introduce a shiny new high-speed catamaran to their fleet this year. However, will they consider upgrading the terminal at Gills which is an absolute disgrace. The toilets are disgusting and the waiting room is damp.

I wish them every success with the new ferry. I think they are providing a fantastic service, and a very good price, and without any public subsidy.

Have you tried contacting them direct with your views about the terminal? Far better to contact companies direct with a polite letter setting out your views than to simply post a very negative post on a public forum. They are probably so busy trying to run a business that they lose sight of some of the small details. It's very easily done, and often it just requires pointing out in a constructive way to get something done.

Geo
02-Feb-08, 13:11
I've never used the ferry however don't think it is unreasonable for a public facing company to have clean toilets and dry premises. Plenty of smaller companies manage to keep their premises dry and toilets clean. I think sometimes we accept things too easily. Yes they may be doing a great job with the service itself but that doesn't mean they should rest on their laurels. If they can afford a new catamaran they can afford to give the terminal a "lick of paint."

j4bberw0ck
02-Feb-08, 13:29
You don't have to use the service, you know.

It's like Hugh and his chickens. If you want expensive, that's easy. If you want cheap, you accept compromises. I think it would more legitimate to point at the tacky, miserable, unpleasant disgrace that is John o'Groats; I mean that's more or less a national landmark. Gill's Bay is just Gill's Bay.....

Geo
02-Feb-08, 14:02
I see, so it's only if you are a landmark you should make the extra effort? Although I agree John O'Groats needs a serious update!
It's not like it would cost £millions to sort out the toilets and damp proff the waiting room. On the other hand maybe they already have plans underway to do so.

I will have to take a trip up to Gills to see what the fuss is about! :)

Geo
02-Feb-08, 14:05
They are probably so busy trying to run a business that they lose sight of some of the small details. It's very easily done, and often it just requires pointing out in a constructive way to get something done.

Good point, well made.

j4bberw0ck
02-Feb-08, 15:01
I see, so it's only if you are a landmark you should make the extra effort?

No, that's not quite what I meant.

bekisman
02-Feb-08, 15:06
We're in the accommodation sector and quite a number of our guests use the Pentland Ferry, and without exception they all comment on the deeply potholed terminal - and with usually hired cars this is a concern to them - in addition they are not impressed with the toilets there!
Surely a couple of tons of scalpings would deal with one problem, and a refurbishment of the loos another, surely that would no great expense!

Royster1911
02-Feb-08, 15:26
It is also a wee bit alarming when they are trying to bearth at Gills when it is thick with fog. People at the end of the pier with high powered torches trying to guide the ship in and shouting "can you see the light".:confused

Tymey
02-Feb-08, 15:48
Have you tried contacting them direct with your views about the terminal? Far better to contact companies direct with a polite letter setting out your views than to simply post a very negative post on a public forum. They are probably so busy trying to run a business that they lose sight of some of the small details. It's very easily done, and often it just requires pointing out in a constructive way to get something done.

How do you know I haven't? Isn't this a public forum to discuss opinions? I don't think saying the toilets and terminal are in poor condition is "a very negative post" - it is an accurate description of them.

Pentland Ferries do remarkably well to operate, no doubt. I just wonder why certain aspects of the service they offer are left to the second law of thermodynamics to handle?

NickInTheNorth
02-Feb-08, 15:54
How do you know I haven't? Isn't this a public forum to discuss opinions? I don't think saying the toilets and terminal are in poor condition is "a very negative post" - it is an accurate description of them.

Pentland Ferries do remarkably well to operate, no doubt. I just wonder why certain aspects of the service they offer are left to the second law of thermodynamics to handle?

I don't know that you haven't, that was why I asked if you have done so. But I take it from the fact that you chose not to answer the question that you haven't done so.

Again I suggest that the best course of action is polite contact.

And yes it is a forum on which to discuss opinions, you have expressed yours, I've added mine. That would appear to be a problem to you, can you explain why.

I think it would be great to have the facilities at Gills upgraded, but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. If they operated a service from a pig sty and used a rowing boat I would use it in preference to anything connected to Calmac who have no idea of customer service.

Geo
02-Feb-08, 15:57
No, that's not quite what I meant.

Then I misunderstood and came across a bit strong. Apologies. :)

Tymey
02-Feb-08, 16:06
I don't know that you haven't, that was why I asked if you have done so. But I take it from the fact that you chose not to answer the question that you haven't done so.

Again I suggest that the best course of action is polite contact.

And yes it is a forum on which to discuss opinions, you have expressed yours, I've added mine. That would appear to be a problem to you, can you explain why.

I think it would be great to have the facilities at Gills upgraded, but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. If they operated a service from a pig sty and used a rowing boat I would use it in preference to anything connected to Calmac who have no idea of customer service.

To put your mind at ease, I have contacted Pentland Ferries regarding this matter, at this time the company has declined to reply.

I have no trouble with anyone expressing their opinion, even if they are wrong. ;)

I worry what impression is given of Caithness with the poor quality of facilities. Or perhaps tourists don't really care.

j4bberw0ck
02-Feb-08, 16:15
To put your mind at ease, I have contacted Pentland Ferries regarding this matter, at this time the company has declined to reply

....although a fresh supply of toilet paper was no doubt available at Gills shortly after you posted your letter! :lol::lol:

scotsman1
02-Feb-08, 16:19

Its about time you got a grip Tymey, who cares about the toilets, as long a the ferry service is good, cheap, fast and regular, I'm sure your private parts don't really care what is in front of them during disposal. Caithness would be much worse off without this service! A local person employing local people from Caithness and Orkney. I'd happily use a tin pail as long as I got on the boat.

j4bberw0ck
02-Feb-08, 16:29
Then I misunderstood and came across a bit strong. Apologies. :)

Worry not; pm away.

Cheers!

J

lasher
02-Feb-08, 16:44
We're in the accommodation sector and quite a number of our guests use the Pentland Ferry, and without exception they all comment on the deeply potholed terminal - and with usually hired cars this is a concern to them - in addition they are not impressed with the toilets there!
Surely a couple of tons of scalpings would deal with one problem, and a refurbishment of the loos another, surely that would no great expense!
Why would they be bothered if its a hire car? There own car i could see why they would be concerned, who cares about a hire car?

Boozeburglar
02-Feb-08, 16:48
I can assure everyone here that I will never use Hugh and his chickens again.

Within a hundred yards of Castlehill Harbour I was vomiting the complimentary free range marmalade sandwiches, such was the reek from Hugh's concoction of toilet compost and wild boar dripping he called bio-fuel!

Geo
02-Feb-08, 16:52
Its about time you got a grip Tymey, who cares about the toilets

Most people who I know would not like minging public toilets, no matter what part of the UK they were in. Yes it is brilliant that there is a ferry service but that does not mean that standards have to be poor before you get on the ferry. I don't know what Gills is like but it's disgusting when you need to use public toilets and find the floors wet, seats wet and worse. You can barely breath in some of them.

bekisman
02-Feb-08, 17:20
lasher; "Why would they be bothered if its a hire car? There own car i could see why they would be concerned, who cares about a hire car?"

No or Minimum Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)

coppertop 1958
02-Feb-08, 17:20
http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/index.html

Saveman
02-Feb-08, 18:21
Its about time you got a grip Tymey, who cares about the toilets, as long a the ferry service is good, cheap, fast and regular, I'm sure your private parts don't really care what is in front of them during disposal.

I've learned in general that hygene isn't on everyone's priority list. I actually do care about the state of their public toilets. I wouldn't want to send my kids to go to the toilet there (if I had any.) Providing basic facilities at their terminal is as vital as any other part of their service. It demonstrates that they care about their customers or it demonstrates the opposite.

A great big new catamaran is brilliant! It certainly is a slap in the face for Northlink! But the toilets at Pentland Ferries Terminal are a slap in the face for their customers.

Caithness would be much worse off without this service! A local person employing local people from Caithness and Orkney. I'd happily use a tin pail as long as I got on the boat.

Yes maybe Caithness would be worse off, and it is great that this is a local company employing local people. But taking note and acting on constructive criticism is the pathway to improvement. No businessman in his right mind would ignore valid problems with his service to his customers. If he did ignore it then it would be advisable for him to "get a grip."

So the message is: "Good work guys! Keep it up! Fancy giving your toilets a refurb?"

Margaret M.
02-Feb-08, 19:37
who cares about the toilets

:::Raising my hand::: They don't have to be opulent just reasonably clean.

ett23
02-Feb-08, 22:52
IMHO Pentland Ferries provide the best service for crossings to Orkney from Caithness. Ok so the toilets are rubbish but I'd just hold it in and go on the ferry - the ladies are pretty good on board (though OH tells me the gents aren't so good!) But what do you expect for such a low cost service? Let's face it - bus toilets are never gonna be pleasant to use - nor are airplane loos from my experience!! But yes maybe the terminal toilets need a bit of attention!

Let's hope some Pentland Ferries employees use this forum and see these comments. Maybe they'll be motivated to do something about the loos, waiting room and potholes (ouch!).:eek:........Here's hoping. If not maybe that letter will do the trick?! ;)

Tighsonas4
15-Apr-08, 12:29
ORKNEY FERRY
it seems the new catamaran for gills ferries is to be launched in the
phillipines this friday andreww banks and his wife are going out to the launching ceremony
only going to be named when shes launched you can skim across to orkney when it starts [lol] tony

dunderheed
15-Apr-08, 13:23
is this the same type of catamaran they run on the west coast between scotland and ulster? if it is be prepared for it being tied up due to the weqather a lot as the one on the west coast struggles with the irish seas

dessie
15-Apr-08, 14:17
did not know that the catarmaran was tied up that often in belfast...i do know it went into dry dock over the winter for its annual service and back around march..and it did travel through a lot of bad weather because i travelled very often on it......so i hope it goes well up in caithness....

Tighsonas4
15-Apr-08, 19:13
FERRY
saw a sketch drawing in the orcadian some time ago but didnt pay much attention to it.it seems this yard in the philipians speciliases in this field the pentland firth is certainly the place to see if she stands the test
he deserves success has hes played a lone hand on that run since ages
tony

bekisman
16-Apr-08, 15:59
On the way to Wick today did a detour to Gills Ferry (Pentland Ferries), spoke to a chap there who said the New Catamaran Ferry was being launched this week in the Philippines, will take six weeks to get over here, and then depending on the amount of time getting sorted will be in service - anyone any further news?

Tighsonas4
16-Apr-08, 20:01
PENTLAND FERRIES
it was on orkney news couple of days ago that andrew banks and wife are to be in the phillipians for the launching on friday.
this route was begun with the backing of oic. it left them with egg on there faceas if cost them a fortune and failed in the end RESULT
banks cant get any help from them whatsoever and subsides also out
in spite of all this he took off playing a lone hand
the toilets cant be any better than the ones in burick last time i seen them then like to see someone going ahead in spite of the odds tony

thebigman
17-Apr-08, 00:21
I worry what impression is given of Caithness with the poor quality of facilities. Or perhaps tourists don't really care.

Well they're leaving Caithness for Orkney so why worry :-)

wifie
17-Apr-08, 11:35
Wow listen to yourselves! Surely in this day and age and in this so-called developed world of ours it is not too much to ask to have a bit of hygiene. I have used the ferry but not the toilets and I am just commenting on poster's reactions to the provision of such facilities. Fair enough some customers may be able to "hold it in" until they get on the ferry but some may not. The elderly, children or even just travellers who have come some distance to make the trip across the water may like to use the toilet and a bit of cleanliness and comfort, I am sure, would be appreciated.

Penelope Pitstop
17-Apr-08, 11:54
Pentland Ferries don't have the monopoly on ferry service to Orkney, i.e....if you don't like what they have on offer use one of the others, i.e. Northlink or John O'Groats Ferries......simple;)

dunderheed
17-Apr-08, 12:12
rather than me editing my post on tie ups i must apologise and say what i found out, it indeed doesnt tie up for bad weather very often but doesnt "plane" in bad weather so if the weather up here is anything to go by it wont plane often

bothyman
17-Apr-08, 12:17
Who do the Toilets belong to ????????????
The Ferry Company or the people who own the harbour ??? or are they one and the same ??

Seabird
22-Apr-08, 21:34
Pentlands new ferry wont arrive until the Summer and will be called Pentalina.
Full story on his link with picture

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/

Colin

ett23
22-Apr-08, 21:38
Thanks for the link Colin, we're planning on going to Orkney again in August so hopefully the Pentalina will be up and running by then! :)

Lovely red and white shiny catamaran!! Can't wait to get on board! :cool:

Tighsonas4
22-Apr-08, 21:46
NEW FERRY
there was a pentelena around before but cant remember was it him that had it or not tony

captain chaos
22-Apr-08, 22:00
The original Pentalina ran from Groats in the 1970s and early 80s a small passenger only boat.

The Pentilina B which Pentland Ferries own does (used to do) the summer season with the Claymore doing the winter season.

northener
22-Apr-08, 22:05
http://www.orcadian.co.uk/archive/2008/pentalina.jpg (http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/)

Oooh, shiny........

Tighsonas4
23-Apr-08, 12:35
PENTLAND FERRIES
andrew banks on orkney radio orkney today.
seems fairly confident that this will work out. as regards running costs.
the hamnavoe will burn daily what will keep him running for a week. hope i get a crack at it [lol]tony

camor
05-May-08, 05:40
Check this out, best of luck to them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7379549.stm

TRUCKER
05-May-08, 07:54
Yes Good Luck 2 Them Doing It All With His Own Money No Goverment Help Well Done

brokencross
05-May-08, 08:44
Indeed good luck, catamarans are supposed to be a smoother ride in choppy weather.

Mik.M.
05-May-08, 08:51
Looks impressive,can`t wait to try it.

joxville
05-May-08, 09:17
Yes Good Luck 2 Them Doing It All With His Own Money No Goverment Help Well Done

I'll second that, hope it's successful.

bekisman
05-May-08, 09:29
Quote: 'A catamaran built to run on a ferry route across the Pentland Firth is undergoing six weeks of sea trials in south-east Asia. Once testing is complete, The Pentalina is expected to head for Scotland from the Philippines under its own power, arriving by the end of May'
"May"? I thought she was launched in the Philippines on 25th April, add six weeks sea trials and the journey 'home' - or have I got this wrong.. What ever the outcome, best of luck to Mr Banks!

Tighsonas4
05-May-08, 20:20
PENTALINA
most definetly good luck to him hes proved to be a sticker thought same as beckisman that times is a bit confusing though?? apart from anything else will have to stop periodically for bunkers tony

bekisman
06-Jun-08, 17:10
Today, nipped down to Gills Ferry point - nice to see that they've now got rid of the potholes and used tarmac to level it all off - noticed too their old amateur website has been upgraded; http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk (http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk) (not .com - that's in the hands of a domain sitter) all we need now is the arrival of the new boat!

Tighsonas4
06-Jun-08, 20:34
ORKNEY FERRIES
on orkney radio a few days ago it said banks was awaiting all the clearances etc so even if he is left now cant see her in operation before july at a guess tony

ett23
06-Jun-08, 22:46
I just checked the website and at the bottom of the page on the Pentalina, it says she's due to take over the route July 2008. So here's hoping it all goes to plan and the date's not set back any further! I'm looking forward to my first catamaran ride!! :lol:

theone
06-Jun-08, 23:06

Makes me wonder why, If "rival" businesses can operate independently without subsidies, what is the justification for the subsidies?

Subsidies, for anything, should only be given when a required service is uneconomical.

northener
06-Jun-08, 23:36
Makes me wonder why, If "rival" businesses can operate independently without subsidies, what is the justification for the subsidies?

Subsidies, for anything, should only be given when a required service is uneconomical.

Well, Northlink is partially owned by Calmac - who are very good at extracting cash from the Government.....

theone
06-Jun-08, 23:43
Well, Northlink is partially owned by Calmac - who are very good at extracting cash from the Government.....

I don't doubt that, but, why is there a subsidy if it isn't required?

If a ferry firm can provide orkney with the freight and passenger transport it requires without a subsidy, what am I, the taxpayer, paying for?

northener
07-Jun-08, 00:15
I don't doubt that, but, why is there a subsidy if it isn't required?

If a ferry firm can provide orkney with the freight and passenger transport it requires without a subsidy, what am I, the taxpayer, paying for?

I would say probably the shareholders champagne! Got to have a bit of bubbly for the Shareholders meetings....;)

Seriously, you've a very good point there - I don't know what the answer is though.

wifie
07-Jun-08, 00:33
Indeed good luck, catamarans are supposed to be a smoother ride in choppy weather.

Emmm, some time ago, sailed on one from Jersey to France and spewed me ringer!!! We even had to wear seat belts! Sincerely hope cats have moved on as I would like a wee shot on this one! Flat calm on the way back - thank goodness.

sweetpea
07-Jun-08, 01:42

Exactly, If They had the susidies they could probably run it for free!!:lol:

Tugmistress
07-Jun-08, 09:23
I would say probably the shareholders champagne! Got to have a bit of bubbly for the Shareholders meetings....;)

Seriously, you've a very good point there - I don't know what the answer is though.

Not read through it but you might find the answer here (http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/research/briefings-07/SB07-56.pdf). (opens as a pdf document in your browser)

Welcomefamily
07-Jun-08, 12:32
I think what Pentland has done is wonderful and wish them all the best and as a former hotelier I have always suggested companies use them for their orkney trips. However certainly with coaches it only takes one or two to complain about the facilities and the companies will look at what other facilities are available. Clean toilets dont cost much.

Tighsonas4
07-Jun-08, 12:47
this service would be more popular if there was transport for foot passengers from st mgts hope to kirkwall tony

bekisman
07-Jun-08, 13:02
Interesting link that pdf
1. So basically Northlink is directly owned by the Scottish Government.
2. In 2005 that route created fare revenue of: £20,064,00 BUT received a subsidy of £22,450,000
3. In 2006 fare revenue of £21,260,00 with a subsidy from us of £29,177,000.
4. Last year?
Is it any wonder that a chap I was talking too at Gills intimated that Northlink could run without any passengers whatsoever and still get near enough £30 million quid?
Any tourist coming up here and fancying a day over on Orkney has a choice:
Northlink: £14.50 Per Person (Single) + £43.20 for the car. So A couple would pay £144.40
Pentland: £12.00 per Person (single) + £28.00 for the car, that's £104.00 and a saving of £40 over the 'subsidised' route.
No sure if I've got this right, as urban legend's can creep in - but was it not Orkney Council who originally tried to create a ferry link from Gills? seem to remember they did not excavate the harbour deep enough and when the Varagen (?) arrived, damaged it's hull on the shallows.. Later in a storm the link-span bridge ended up over at Wick? and so Orkney Council washed their hands of it and later Mr Banks came on the scene and (un-subsidised) created what we have now..

Hopefully Mr Banks can do more in advertising his route as 'down south' the Scrabster crossing is really the only one that's widely known. Of course the Executive have to ensure that a 'life-line' ferry service connects the mainland to Orkney and provides a year-round service. Now that shortly this will be fact, it's going to be interesting to see if WE continue to shove £30 million into Northlink AND high fares or help an enterprising private company who already offer realistic crossing fares??

bekisman
25-Jun-08, 07:32
oh dear;
A catamaran ferry for the Caithness to Orkney route, which was due to arrive in Scotland last month, is still at a ship yard in the Philippines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7471654.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7471654.stm)