PDA

View Full Version : only mad people own horses!!

Rie
01-Feb-08, 20:33
I have just come in from the freezing cold after pampering to my ponies every need.
cant feel my legs,fingers or toes, my face has never been so red and cold and all for the love of horses!
my welsh sec a, decided he didnt like being tied up outside in the cold so chewed through his lead rope and went for a run around to keep warm,20 minutes later i managed to catch him again, only in freezing cold weather does he act like this,and i think he does it just for a laugh.
any one else have similar problems??
conclusion: you have to be mad to be a horse lover!!!:D

cuddlepop
01-Feb-08, 20:55
or a dog lover.....

We had out two over at the forest walk in Glenbrittle just so they/we could play in the snow.
Unfortunatly the younger of the two caught sight of a rabbit and disappeared into the rather thick forest.
No amount of calling was bringing her back so Oh went to get the car (theory being she'd hear the engine and come out)while I went in ....being the fitter of the two ;)

The older dog thought this was a game of chases which in itself would have been fun but it was freezing cold,dark,spooky and a blizzard had just started.
Luckily she eventually found me.
You know the look....I've been stupid but dont tell me off lol.

In my head I had us camped there for the night till we found her.

Animals dont you just love them :roll:

dandod
01-Feb-08, 20:57
you are totally mad!!!

emszxr
01-Feb-08, 21:10
or a dog lover.....

We had out two over at the forest walk in Glenbrittle just so they/we could play in the snow.
Unfortunatly the younger of the two caught sight of a rabbit and disappeared into the rather thick forest.
No amount of calling was bringing her back so Oh went to get the car (theory being she'd hear the engine and come out)while I went in ....being the fitter of the two ;)

The older dog thought this was a game of chases which in itself would have been fun but it was freezing cold,dark,spooky and a blizzard had just started.
Luckily she eventually found me.
You know the look....I've been stupid but dont tell me off lol.

In my head I had us camped there for the night till we found her.

Animals dont you just love them :roll:

thats a long way to go for a walk, lol
its lovely at glenbrittle though

anneoctober
01-Feb-08, 21:11
Think this thread should be renamed : Horses/dogs OWN mad people :lol:
OR "only fools and horses"........[lol]

Rie
01-Feb-08, 21:13
i used to find my old dog waiting for me at the last place i lived, he had a habbit of running off after rabbits and i would spend hours looking for him only to give when it got dark and go home to find him sitting on the door step!

wickchick
01-Feb-08, 23:51
I have 4 ponies(2 sec A's + B and a PB) 1 horse and a foal and know the feeling I hate filling hay nets with haylage when its cold.

cuddlepop
02-Feb-08, 07:59
thats a long way to go for a walk, lol
its lovely at glenbrittle though
You know you can get "storm chasers",well we're the "snow chasers.":lol:

if there's any snow to be had on Skye ,you'll alwas find it over at Glenbrittle.

bobsgirl
02-Feb-08, 12:08
I help out a friend with her Horse and Pony, for some strange reason I love the whole horsey thing. I am quite happy to help her muck out and take the Pony for a walk up and down the dirt track road, but when it comes to the Horse, then sorry but I aint that mad!!! Lol. Far too big for me!
Not had the experience of a Horse/Pony go mad on me yet or try and do a runner.
I did notice yesterday though that the Pony was a bit uneasy because of the wind though, I just felt so sorry for her. Poor thing!

sphinx
02-Feb-08, 18:57
must be a lot of hard work tending to the horses like .......

katarina
02-Feb-08, 19:06
I have just come in from the freezing cold after pampering to my ponies every need.
cant feel my legs,fingers or toes, my face has never been so red and cold and all for the love of horses!
my welsh sec a, decided he didnt like being tied up outside in the cold so chewed through his lead rope and went for a run around to keep warm,20 minutes later i managed to catch him again, only in freezing cold weather does he act like this,and i think he does it just for a laugh.
any one else have similar problems??
conclusion: you have to be mad to be a horse lover!!!:D

But isn't it brilliant to come home and into the warm? You'll never appreciate this feeling until you don't have animals to tend to any more. I don't - and boy do I miss it!

veekay
03-Feb-08, 10:34
only mad people own horses!!

YEP!

ett23
03-Feb-08, 17:05
I did notice yesterday though that the Pony was a bit uneasy because of the wind though, I just felt so sorry for her. Poor thing!

I had a riding lesson a few days ago and it was pretty windy at the time. The pony I was meant to be riding was hyper & spooking because of the wind. The riding instructor had to give up and put him back in the stable and find another horse for me. The one I eventually rode was a bit calmer but only because she's lazy by nature. She was fine until we came to a particular corner of the school that she spooks at on windy days and she spun round and made off in the opposite directions. Fortunately I know where the brakes are! :lol:
But on the way back at the end of the lesson it was getting windier and the trees were waving about and she was nearly trotting sideways because of it. So yes, horses/ponies sure don't like it when it's windy!!

Max
03-Feb-08, 21:05
I have spent all weekend, or so it seems, filling haynets, water buckets, making feeds, grooming and mucking out. To think the weekend is the easy bit tomorrow i'm back to feeding and turning out before work and doing the rest and bringing in after work, plus I brought a new one home on Friday and now have 3 instead of 2 at the moment. You are all spot on - horse owners are MAD!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
09-Feb-08, 23:23
yeah i agree we are MAD, but theres nothing better than seeing your wonderful friend all cosy in a deep straw bed munching some sweet hay ...... but on the other hand nothing worse than trying to lead your horse through the gate in 2 feet o mud losing yer wellies and then the end of the lead rope......or one going through the gate and the other refusing .......

at the moment though still in construction of the new stables..... so the two legends under my care at the moment are kinda roughing it..... although the baby boy decided he didnt want his rug back on tonight so i guess he may change his mind tomorrow night....but after all they are horses and they will survive but i hate sitting inside all cosy thinking of him out there standing with his big hairy butt to the wind......well well they say horses are fast learners..... I have just started the Parelli natural horsemanship course so we will soon see if owners are as quick learners!!!!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/MAFGERS/finn2.jpg

rockyrider
10-Feb-08, 11:21
After clinging to the barn door in the wind and loosing all the hay out of the barrow. taking off towards the muck heap and ending up covered in mud walking around in the dark trying to find poo's to pick up!! erm yes I am mad!! but I wouldn't sell my horsey for the world!!! just cant wait till summer! bathing and getting swatted with a tail because my horse is eaten by midgeys. hacking out on my loopy girl who bucks the whole way home vowing never to get on her again! constant wondering round a field in the hot sun trying to catch a fat grass belly horse for hours!! nope still wouldn't sell her!!!!:lol::lol:

cuddlepop
10-Feb-08, 12:46
After clinging to the barn door in the wind and loosing all the hay out of the barrow. taking off towards the muck heap and ending up covered in mud walking around in the dark trying to find poo's to pick up!! erm yes I am mad!! but I wouldn't sell my horsey for the world!!! just cant wait till summer! bathing and getting swatted with a tail because my horse is eaten by midgeys. hacking out on my loopy girl who bucks the whole way home vowing never to get on her again! constant wondering round a field in the hot sun trying to catch a fat grass belly horse for hours!! nope still wouldn't sell her!!!!:lol::lol:
You.ve got it bad girl,this horsey bug I'm afraid its for life.lol

nanoo
10-Feb-08, 15:13
I help out a friend with her Horse and Pony, for some strange reason I love the whole horsey thing. I am quite happy to help her muck out and take the Pony for a walk up and down the dirt track road, but when it comes to the Horse, then sorry but I aint that mad!!! Lol. Far too big for me!
Like you bobsgirl, i used to help a friend with her horses and ponies. Before my OH and i came up here, we lived in the lodge house of a big private estate. There were nine horses and two Shetland Ponies on it. my friend Sandra was groom and i loved helping her out with them, It used to amuse me when we went to the field to bring them in for the night(winter time)that they had a pecking order and my friend put me right as to who came in first to last, needless to say last was Kirsty and Rory(the shetlands) They were a great group and not a bad tempered one among them, it kept me fit i can tell you and i loved going to the horse shows with them as well. My friends own horse was a three quarter arab called Guy and i loved him to bits. I have always had a passion for horses and i think they are Gods most beautiful creation of the animal world, just as the lion is his most regal. Yes it's fair to say I love Horses.;):roll:

Max
10-Feb-08, 15:34
[QUOTE=KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN;337223]yeah i agree we are MAD, but theres nothing better than seeing your wonderful friend all cosy in a deep straw bed munching some sweet hay ...... but on the other hand nothing worse than trying to lead your horse through the gate in 2 feet o mud losing yer wellies and then the end of the lead rope......or one going through the gate and the other refusing .......

Oh you have got it sooooo right. Trying to hold the gate in the wind with my hubbys wellies on cos my muckers can't cope with the 2 feet of mud at the gate. With the horse that point blank refuses to go through the mud - then goes really fast with me - wellies anchored in the mud - holding on to the end of the leadrope hoping that the wellies willgo with ma feet!!

Let us know how your parelli training goes with your babies!!

scorrie
10-Feb-08, 17:40
Don't know about mad, but you have to be RICH to own a racehorse. I saw an ad for shares in a young horse to be trained by Henry Cecil. I thought that buying a share in the horse itself was not TOO bad when you consider that the cost is split between 12 owners. However, training fees were £60 per week EACH ie £720 in total. That is some amount of money for one week and if you were in it on your own, you would need to be one wealthy little punter!!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
10-Feb-08, 21:25
I'd much rather be an EX racehorse owner than a race horse owner....that is unless it was going to make me a fortune haha...

my old mare who passed away just before Christmas was an ex racer - there are threads on here about her....she was such an elegant lady - just wish she could have told me some of her stories....

Thanks for the interest in Parelli....really just starting the course and being totally blown away by it.....people have mixed opinions of parelli but the mare in particular seems to totally benefit from even just the little bit we have done... have a blog if you are interested to see the updates and photos you can PM me and I will e-mail you the address.....

I am not a member of the riding club (YET!!!!) but it looks pretty interesting that they have a natural horesmanship weekend ther start of march ...could be good...

its funny when I first looked into it I thought I would just like to apply some of the principles to Beth the nut job mare....but the more you get into it the more you realised its a whole attitude change and if you ever watch what they say on Horse & Country TV....you pretty much reverse everything you have ever been taught....dont get me wrong im not going to turn my back on the 18 years of excellent traditional tution I have had and on going tution but yet I really hope I can use the parelli to be a better horse owner/lover/partner.....

So far soooo good, even just the understanding of the psychology of the equine is amazing!!!

ett23
11-Feb-08, 20:29
Don't know about mad, but you have to be RICH to own a racehorse. I saw an ad for shares in a young horse to be trained by Henry Cecil. I thought that buying a share in the horse itself was not TOO bad when you consider that the cost is split between 12 owners. However, training fees were £60 per week EACH ie £720 in total. That is some amount of money for one week and if you were in it on your own, you would need to be one wealthy little punter!!

Don't worry I'm sure there's not many on the org who own racehorses! ;)
Most just own them cos they love pleasure riding. Still having said that I can't afford to own one myself - I borrow the ones at the riding school!

ett23
11-Feb-08, 20:33
I am not a member of the riding club (YET!!!!) but it looks pretty interesting that they have a natural horesmanship weekend ther start of march ...could be good...

Yeah I'm hoping to go to the evening demonstration on the Saturday, but haven't managed to find out yet the price or any other details such as how long it lasts, etc. Any one out there got any more info on the Natural Horsemanship Demo in the indoor school, halkirk - March 8th?

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
11-Feb-08, 20:36
not sure - is it going to be open to public??? i am not riding club member....?

i have looked on the crc website and they say details being e-mailed to members soon so may not be privvy to that info.

But I had also emailed Heather Gibson to see if she was doing private sessions.....

ett23
11-Feb-08, 23:16
Thats a point I hadn't thought of that. I'm not a member either! :roll:

Max
12-Feb-08, 12:11
I'll find out if it is open to the public and let you know!

ett23
14-Feb-08, 21:53
Just to let you know I've had it on good authority that the Natural Horsemanship demo evening is open to the public. They just take your money at the door. So roll on March 8th!:lol: