PDA

View Full Version : Price of Heating Oil

philupmaboug
01-Feb-08, 18:14
I just got my bill for the refill of my heating oil tank. Shock & Horror are not the words used to describe my reaction, when I realised that the price has increased by £80 since last August!!

How on earth can the government justify that??

I get my oil from Simpson's Oil as they appear to be the cheapest but that is just a crazy price!

Your views please??

badger
01-Feb-08, 18:28
Like you, just had my bill from Simpsons. It's crazy but not their fault. I would just love someone in the Cabinet to try living up here for a while on a very limited income and see how they get on. They'd soon be rushing back south to their expense accounts.

Apart from VAT, how much of our fuel oil bill is tax?

NickInTheNorth
01-Feb-08, 19:32
Like you, just had my bill from Simpsons. It's crazy but not their fault. I would just love someone in the Cabinet to try living up here for a while on a very limited income and see how they get on. They'd soon be rushing back south to their expense accounts.

Apart from VAT, how much of our fuel oil bill is tax?

Pretty certain that domestic heating oil is zero duty. That's why it too has a chemical marker in it - like red diesel. So folks can easily be detected if they use it as fuel for boats or on the road.

Gizmo
01-Feb-08, 19:40
Tell me about it, 4 years ago when we first had Oil heating we paid 17p a litre, bought 500 litres in November last year at over 37p....it costs a fortune to heat a house using oil now :(

captain chaos
01-Feb-08, 22:32
V.A.T on heating oil is 5% upto I think around 2500 litres and it then goes to 17.5% (per load)

starry
01-Feb-08, 23:31
When I moved in just over four years ago it cost me £260 to fill the tank it has gone up every year and when I filled up in December and it was £438 :eek:

I work full time in a reasonably paid job but it is becoming a real struggle to make ends meet.

bekisman
01-Feb-08, 23:47
Hi philupmaboug, how much a litre was that? as we're getting ours filled next week, hope to squeeze a thousand litres in..

psyberyeti
01-Feb-08, 23:58
I asked Scottish Fuels today and they said 41.39 pence per litre (7.5% increase since September) for 2000 litres. I have managed to drop my fuel oil use by about 25% over the last year by just not having the hot water on everyday - we co-ordinate when we all want showers/baths etc. There is not enough competition to make them bring their prices down.:mad:

Correction; I should not be allowed up late on my own to write messages. The actual price increase of domestic fuel oil to the customer has risen by 18% (for whatever the reasons) since September 2007 to now.

saffy100
02-Feb-08, 00:29
I too struggle greatly, any spare money i have i pay in to my account to try and keep up....but then another delivery looms and i'm back to square one....at least 20% of my wages goes on oil for heating and i'm finding it hard to keep a warm house and makes ends meet.

Someone on here suggested that if a few people got together to order a tanker full between them it may work out a lot cheaper. Does anyone know what a tanker holds and how many people it would take to justify this.

j4bberw0ck
02-Feb-08, 02:16
Economics 101:

Oil's priced in US dollars. It's nothing to do with the Government. US dollar is very weak just now. Producers want lots more dollars to buy the same amount of oil. Complicated by huge surge in demand from China and India.

Suppliers have to charge you what they pay to replenish what you just bought, or they can't buy any more, so no more heating...

There's no duty on UK heating oil, just VAT at 5% (until EU "tax harmonisation" kicks in, in a couple of years, when the UK's special concession of zero rating food, books and children's clothes will disappear as "unfair", as will the concessionary VAT rate on oil and electricity and gas. Life in the EU is going to get very, very expensive!).

For petrol, production and delivery costs are 31p / £, the retailer takes about 4p / £, Gordon Brown bags 51p / £ plus VAT 15p / £. Course, we pay more tax up here because it's a % of the fuel cost....

Your heating oil is only ever going to get more expensive, I'm afraid. In addition to weak dollars, demand and rising taxes, the Rhegheads of the world are all in favour of it becoming more and more expensive so eventually people who can't afford to heat their homes any more are forced to Save The Planet.

Margaret M.
02-Feb-08, 04:23
From abcnews.go.com:

Exxon Mobil Corp. posted the largest annual profit by a U.S. company $40.6 billion on Friday as the world's biggest publicly traded oil company benefited from historic crude prices at the end of the year.

Exxon also set a U.S. record for the biggest quarterly profit, posting net income of $11.7 billion for the final three months of 2007, beating its own mark of $10.71 billion in the fourth quarter of 2005.

j4bberw0ck
02-Feb-08, 10:27
Exxon Mobil Corp. posted the largest annual profit by a U.S. company $40.6 billion on Friday as the world's biggest publicly traded oil company benefited from historic crude prices at the end of the year

Same thing cropped up here (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=332968&postcount=7). It isn't as simple as a bunch of robber barons stopping your stagecoach and then galloping off into the forest with your bag of sovereigns..... however attractive it might be to think so :lol: .

watman
02-Feb-08, 11:42
We have oil and have found it so expensive and are thinking of going back to our good old fashioned coal fire.

Geo
02-Feb-08, 12:59
Is coal any cheaper?

How many tank fills do you need a year?

The cheapest coal we can get is now £10.50 a bag, x2 a week plus a bag of slack/dross every few weeks equals about £90 a month.

badger
02-Feb-08, 13:10
I too struggle greatly, any spare money i have i pay in to my account to try and keep up....but then another delivery looms and i'm back to square one....at least 20% of my wages goes on oil for heating and i'm finding it hard to keep a warm house and makes ends meet.

Someone on here suggested that if a few people got together to order a tanker full between them it may work out a lot cheaper. Does anyone know what a tanker holds and how many people it would take to justify this.

We usually get at least 3 households together to order so we are supposed to get a reduction for quantity (it doesn't show on the bill so can't really tell) but don't pay the higher VAT. Also feel we're doing our bit for the planet by reducing tanker trips.

When I first came up here oil was cheaper than Calor gas but it seems now it's more expensive. Trouble is you can't switch systems. I gave up trying to keep my house warm long ago and just pile on more clothes and run around occasionally! Right now I'm freezing so time for a run :eek:

bekisman
02-Feb-08, 15:12
Saffy100: "Someone on here suggested that if a few people got together to order a tanker full between them it may work out a lot cheaper"

I joined this: http://www.boilerjuice.com/ (http://www.boilerjuice.com/) but at the time no one in area, it might have changed..

Stargazer
02-Feb-08, 15:44
I asked Scottish Fuels today and they said 41.39 pence per litre (7.5% increase since September) for 2000 litres. I have managed to drop my fuel oil use by about 25% over the last year by just not having the hot water on everyday - we co-ordinate when we all want showers/baths etc. There is not enough competition to make them bring their prices down.:mad:

Correction; I should not be allowed up late on my own to write messages. The actual price increase of domestic fuel oil to the customer has risen by 18% (for whatever the reasons) since September 2007 to now.

I just got a bill for 1000l at 47.75p per litre. So looks like a good saving if you have a larger tank or can team up with neighbours.

Does anybody know how much Simpsons are charging?

saffy100
02-Feb-08, 17:59
Saffy100: "Someone on here suggested that if a few people got together to order a tanker full between them it may work out a lot cheaper"

I joined this: http://www.boilerjuice.com/ (http://www.boilerjuice.com/) but at the time no one in area, it might have changed..

Hi,

Thanks for this, i checked, but no one in the area. I checked with a "south" postcode and it came out at 40p per litre, so even if they did up here would probably be similar to prices already here.

Saffy100

badger
02-Feb-08, 19:31
I just got a bill for 1000l at 47.75p per litre. So looks like a good saving if you have a larger tank or can team up with neighbours.

Does anybody know how much Simpsons are charging?

My bill dated a few days ago is 41.5p so maybe that's not so bad. I was told when I first came up here that Simpsons were the best. You do need to watch out for larger quantities as the VAT shoots up so teaming up with neighbours looks like a better choice than filling one large tank.

Penelope Pitstop
23-Apr-08, 22:19
Ah well guys the price for litre today is in the region of 59p.....yip you did read that right:(

In fact the woman at Scottish Fuels couldn't guarantee that it would remain at that price as they couldn't guarantee what price it would be when I got it delivered - she couldn't confirm when it would be delivered either, as she didn't know when they would get their deliveries..............good god:~(.....get the jumpers out.....

Liz
23-Apr-08, 22:26
We have oil and have found it so expensive and are thinking of going back to our good old fashioned coal fire.

Is coal any cheaper?

How many tank fills do you need a year?

The cheapest coal we can get is now £10.50 a bag, x2 a week plus a bag of slack/dross every few weeks equals about £90 a month.

I don't think it is any cheaper. The only coal we can burn in our fire is Chinese Doubles at £14.50 a bag and, on average, we need two bags a week!!!

What on earth heating can we use now which doesn't cost a fortune? I have been trying to source alternatives with no success.:(

Penelope Pitstop
24-Apr-08, 10:34
I don't think it is any cheaper. The only coal we can burn in our fire is Chinese Doubles at £14.50 a bag and, on average, we need two bags a week!!!

What on earth heating can we use now which doesn't cost a fortune? I have been trying to source alternatives with no success.:(

I know how you feel Liz. I've been looking into Ground source heat pump, air source heat pump systems and also fuel pellets.

The ground and air source systems sound great, but I have my suspicions that it will turn out just as dear to run when you take into consideration the cost of electric to run the pump. (These systems run economically at 40 degrees so I would think that going above that is really going to cost. Anyway IHS said it would cost me about £24K for the system and the ground works would be on top of that.)

From what I've found out so far, 2kg of dry fuel pellets equate to 1 litre of oil. I've found prices on the internet for pallets of the stuff, but they are really dear. I believe the fuel for the Wick heating scheme comes from somewhere quite local, but haven't found out a price on it yet. I would hope that once the pellet factory is up and running at Invergordon that maybe we will get them at a reasonable price??

Can anyone say if coal has gone up at the same rate as oil, gas and electric?

Whatever way you look at it, the escalating fuel costs are a real worry.

Cheers PP

Liz
24-Apr-08, 12:51
I have been told that Total Heating Total Control is the best if you are at home all day like me?

Mister Squiggle
24-Apr-08, 16:41
To give you an idea of how much oil has gone up, 12 weeks ago I placed an order for a tank - 42p a litre. OH has gone to pay for another tank today - 54p a litre. Is my maths correct (forgive me as I'm still reeling from the shock) or is that a 35% rise? IN 12 WEEKS???
If you look at the www.boilerjuice.com/ (http://www.boilerjuice.com/) website and track the rise, by this time next year (if the same rate continues) we'll be burning the furniture to stay warm - it's simply not economical anymore. Any alternatives anyone?

sharon
24-Apr-08, 18:48
we got a delivery on the 14th of April by scottish fuels and it was 61.70p, for the 600l cost £388[disgust]
what it has risen since we put oil in 9 yrs ago was only 10p then:(

stromalassy
24-Apr-08, 19:51
know how you feel, my last bill had gone up nearly £300 from the previous fill i had, it's ridiculous ,i'm having to turn the heating down and wear a jacket to keep warm, i don't know how poor pensioners can afford it.

starry
24-Apr-08, 21:44
I have heating on low and am using coal fire at nights, extra covers on the bed and wearing a big cardi.

Oil is just a luxury that I can't afford right now.

Kevin Milkins
24-Apr-08, 23:02
When I worked down the coal mine as a youngster,we used to trick our freinds by saying,"Thats a bit far fetched," and when they replied,"what is,"
We would say ,"a bag of coal from China."
35 years later I am paying £29-00 a week for 2 bags of Chinese doubles.
It does'nt seem quite so far fetched now,and the Chinese coal miners are being treated now the same as we were then.

Kevin Milkins
24-Apr-08, 23:07
How much are those wind turbines and were can I get one.?lol:lol:

Penelope Pitstop
25-Apr-08, 09:31

I'd be getting my own little wind turbine it they weren't so darn expensive to buy.....we just can't win can we. Doesn't matter which way you turn you get ripped off.

I don't know how very low income families or pensioners are coping with these extortionate costs.....hard enough with two wages coming in.:confused

Skerries
25-Apr-08, 12:12
When the price of oil per barrel on the stock exchange goes up it should take a couple of months for that rise to filter back to the consumer but amazingly it always happens within a few days. That goes for petrol and heating oil.

Between the end of February and and the end of March heating oil from all suppliers had gone up by between 6p and nearly 10p a litre. Brogan's went up the most.

Coal isn't any better though. We get bags of economy anthracite and it has risen in price while falling in quality. We are basically paying around £46 a month for 4 bags of dross. It used to be proper sized lumps of coal but is now tiny shards that block the grate and a pile of dust which hardly burns!

We try to be economical with the oil and the coal, but the quality of coal is now so poor that we burn old wood and household rubbish as well. At least we're putting less rubbish to landfill I suppose, but it's hardly ideal in winter when you need the fire on for any length of time.

Mister Squiggle
25-Apr-08, 15:42
Just checked my invoice and actually, I paid 56p a litre, which is a 14p hike in 12 weeks. I'm off to start knitting neck-to-knee thermals... :~(

badger
25-Apr-08, 18:00
I've just had what I hope will be my last delivery before the autumn from Simpsons and it's 54p. Going to be keeping my thermals on for a while longer [disgust]

beephope
25-Apr-08, 19:46
As a guide, how long does a tank of oil last?

Aquarian Girl
26-Apr-08, 14:16
Just checked my invoice and actually, I paid 56p a litre, which is a 14p hike in 12 weeks. I'm off to start knitting neck-to-knee thermals... :~(

Got oil on Monday from Scottish Fuels and just received the bill in the post 800litres @ 63.88ppl plus vat makes £536.59. Girl said when I ordered that it had been 58ppl on Friday but would be slightly more. 5ppl more to be exact in two days!! :~(

footie chick
26-Apr-08, 15:23
Got oil on Monday from Scottish Fuels and just received the bill in the post 800litres @ 63.88ppl plus vat makes £536.59. Girl said when I ordered that it had been 58ppl on Friday but would be slightly more. 5ppl more to be exact in two days!! :~(

If they quoted you a price they should stick to that price.
They tried that with me once but I had paid the driver and got a bill showing £30.00 + balance they then credited the difference once I phoned them.

percy toboggan
26-Apr-08, 21:11
Various factors have pushed oil up to $120 a barrel ..or close.Invest in more jumpers, thermal vests, and long johns, because it's never going to get much cheaper. The days of cheap fuel are gone for good.

I'm not joking...I'd rather wear a couple of extra layers in the house. The cost of living is spiralling crazily, despite what the RPI says.

Within two decades at least twenty pits will have re-opened in Britain and cleaner coal will flourish in all corners of this land, generating electricity with much of the carbon taken out.

anneoctober
27-Apr-08, 13:08
Kevin...NO ! What we'll have to do is eat hotter curries, that way our inner central heating system will keep us warm..........:eek:

anneoctober
27-Apr-08, 13:12
We got 1000 L from Scottish Fuels last Tuesday - got the account yesterday - £654.......what the......????[evil]

ciderally
27-Apr-08, 13:16
do folks still burn peat?...used to be years ago...when adam was a lad...folks went out for a weekend and dug there own peat ...then stacked it up outside the house....you would see stacks of peat all over the place....probably thats gone up in price...what about buying a peat bog ?

anneoctober
27-Apr-08, 13:18
do folks still burn peat?...used to be years ago...when adam was a lad...folks went out for a weekend and dug there own peat ...then stacked it up outside the house....you would see stacks of peat all over the place....probably thats gone up in price...what about buying a peat bog ?
guarded day & night by Scottish Fuels and cohorts........[lol]

percy toboggan
27-Apr-08, 14:58
many of the properties we browse have oil fired heating. If it's close on £600 for a tankful how long would one last if you were in the house all day keeping reasonably warm?

a) a tank in early May
b) a tank in late November

Liz
27-Apr-08, 18:28
If a tank lasts about six months then that is cheaper than I am paying for coal.