PDA

View Full Version : ICT Hothouse Challenge

Alice in Blunderland
01-Feb-08, 16:37
Hello!

Its Alice in Blunderland's daughter here, i'm waiting on my account to be activated so i'm on mum's name for now lol

Just thought i'd post on here to let you all know about a competiton me and 3 of my friends entered. Its called the ICT hothouse challenge and the basic idea of it is to invent a piece of technology (or improve on an existing piece) which includes both Communications and Technology.

We entered the competition through Wick High School, and out of 170 applicants from all over Britain we were chosen by the judges to proceed and made it to the next stage along with 29 other teams. :cool: Pretty cool huh?

We then had to give a presentation via video conference to the judges on Wednesday, and we made it through that stage aswel! So right now we're waiting alongside 15 other teams to find out when the next stage is because we get to meet an expert and they will help us develope our product further.
We also get a day off school to go down to Inverness area where we give another presentation to the judges but face-to-face! This one is more detailed though.

Out of the 16 teams who give this detailed presentation to the judges only 5 will be selected for the final stage......where we virtually have to treat our product as if we're going to market it, and we have to research the technology behind it for one final presentation.
The judges will then pick 3 teams who win big trips! First prize is a trip to the Microsoft Headquarters in Seattle USA, second prize is a trip to Boston, and third prize is a trip to the BT Headquarters in the South of England.
We're pretty confident that we'll get far, our invention is really quite clever and to get to the final 5 or even the top 3 would be amazing.

I thought it would be cool to let you all know what we have entered and how far we have come. We are delighted that were through as there hasn't been a winning team from Wick yet, so we'll see how far we get. I'l be sure to let you all know:D

unicorn
01-Feb-08, 16:41
Well done to all involved. Sounds exciting :D

bop
01-Feb-08, 16:44
good luck guys!!!!! :)

Alice in Blunderland
01-Feb-08, 16:47

Its really interesting and the really cool thing is that if we get far enough they might actually MARKET OUR PRODUCT!

How cool would that be! lol

I'll keep you up-to-date

xx

NLP
01-Feb-08, 17:38
Good luck, we will keep our fingers crossed for you.

Torvaig
01-Feb-08, 18:52
Sounds really good, best of luck to you all......:)

Margaret M.
01-Feb-08, 19:43
How wonderful!! Congratulations on getting this far and much good luck as you continue. Keep us posted.

anneoctober
01-Feb-08, 21:21
Enjoy the experience regardless of the outcome ! You've a head start in being a Caithnessian , have fun and PLEASE win :D

Alice in Blunderland
01-Feb-08, 21:39
Kids :eek: is nothing sacred including my .org password.

Its a great achievement for them to get this far and its nice to see something good about kids from Wick High on the forum.

I do hope they do well and learn from this whole experience.

Also if they make a decent amount of money should it ever come to that I hope they remember their dear old mums :lol: