PDA

View Full Version : School Closures

Venture
01-Feb-08, 08:42
Wick High School is closed to country bus pupils. Those sitting their exams today will have them rescheduled on their return. Town pupils to attend as normal........at the moment but could change as the morning goes on. For details on Wick High Tel 08700546999 Pin No. 041270

Venture
01-Feb-08, 08:46
Thurso High also closed to bus pupils.

ellie-lou
01-Feb-08, 09:02
dont think i will be putting my daughter out in this weather today,its not safe.what about everyone else?are u putting your kids to school in this storm thats forecast to get worse?

NickInTheNorth
01-Feb-08, 09:05
oh yes indeed.

it's only a wee breeze.

Mik.M.
01-Feb-08, 09:11
Nick,you`re EEEEEEvil, but I like your style . Mik

Mister Squiggle
01-Feb-08, 09:17
I'd already made a decision not to send mine even though the school message said it was open - it's now closed anyway. The cat couldn't keep upright when she tried to go out to the toilet this morning and a laundry bucket left outside is now on it's way to Wick. If it's too wild for the poor cat, the kids aren't going anywhere either.
Kids are delighted to get a long weekend, whilst I've got a bottle of brandy ready to nurse me through the day. ;)

mums angels
01-Feb-08, 09:20
dont think i will be putting my daughter out in this weather today,its not safe.what about everyone else?are u putting your kids to school in this storm thats forecast to get worse?

still debating this myself , but think i'm going to attempt it and see how it is when i get there as i often get it much worse here .

rs 2k
01-Feb-08, 09:25
Better to look here and its free :lol: http://www.schoolclosures.highlandschools.org.uk/

Keep this in your favourites as i have done and u can check it 1st thing in the morning saves u waiting til moray firth announce a school in your area

unicorn
01-Feb-08, 09:30
well the only way I can get mine to high school is for her to walk and there is no way I am sending her out in that, she has caled round her friends and their parents were unsure what to do also but are keeping them home now. We are at the far end of the town and it is just too far to send her in this weather.

quirbal
01-Feb-08, 09:49
Im Not Sending My Children To School, Its Suicide :eek::lol:

mums angels
01-Feb-08, 10:23
Well thats mine and neighbours kids safley dropped off this morning , had to get them in car one at a time to save my doors been blown off LOL but when we got down to Miller it wasn't as bad as it is here , i did drop them in school grounds thou just so they didn't have to walk far or stay outside for long :D

As for school closures i think it is up to the parent weather or not its safe to send the children, last time we had really bad weather school was open but i never sent them .

now i just have a trip to wick to look forward too....:eek:

Max
01-Feb-08, 10:31
Kept mine off - big one delighted to have maths prelim postponed. Wee one's school open but not much fun travelling from the country so kept him off as well - I'm at work so they won't stress me!!

catnip
01-Feb-08, 11:34
My wee boy goes to the nursery at the south school, they are also open but do not want to put him out in this weather, there is debris blowing all over the place. I dont know what to do?

katarina
01-Feb-08, 11:44
I'd already made a decision not to send mine even though the school message said it was open - it's now closed anyway. The cat couldn't keep upright when she tried to go out to the toilet this morning and a laundry bucket left outside is now on it's way to Wick. If it's too wild for the poor cat, the kids aren't going anywhere either.
Kids are delighted to get a long weekend, whilst I've got a bottle of brandy ready to nurse me through the day. ;)

Can a come an share it wi' ye?

mums angels
01-Feb-08, 12:22
My wee boy goes to the nursery at the south school, they are also open but do not want to put him out in this weather, there is debris blowing all over the place. I dont know what to do?

If your worried about taking him , then don't nobody will blame you .

Flair
01-Feb-08, 12:42
I always got sent out to school as long as it was open, regardless of the weather conditions.

Never did me any harm, if anything it has been beneficial. It's made me very resistant to cold and harsh weather.

nikki
01-Feb-08, 13:27
was informed at the college today that over 18's could go home if they wanted, but 16 and 17 year olds had to stay unless college was closed. I find this kinda strange. I know that when you turn 18 you're classed as an adult, and can make your oun desitions, but there is a boy in my class who is only 17, and has to drive home. Shouldn't he, as a new driver, be allowed to go home before conditions get any worse, because new drivers don't tend to have much experience of driving in conditions like this, and it does seem to only be getting worse here.

Mr P Cannop
01-Feb-08, 13:48
what like will the weather be like tomorrow ??

Phoenix200416
01-Feb-08, 13:55
It was snowing yesterday in Wick when I was in Thurso and today its snowing in Thurso.....and I'm in Wick....hmmmm....maybe I spoke 2 soon seeing the snow outside now :lol: ah well. First I've seen for a while....

Dadie
01-Feb-08, 16:51
drove into Thurso from Watten and back home didnt seem too bad anywhere, some sleety showers and some puddles on the road but generally ok it would be a different story if I had to walk far with the buggy as it is a bit blowy but have been out in a lot worse!

trix
01-Feb-08, 16:51
i da ken aboot 'e schools - no bairns - phew!!

i didna hev til go intil work aday tho, wis too cowld til take auld wifies an manies oot, cana guarantee their safe return....

however...its no a bad day ootside now tho...a bonny day :lol:

rfr10
01-Feb-08, 16:52
What a waste of time sending only the town people into school today. About 400 pupils were not at school. That's almost half the school. I'm sure the teachers could have spent their time doing better things than teaching a class of about 5 pupils.

Personally, I didn't see why the school was closed to country people. The weather wasn't as bad as I had expected looking at the weather forecasts.

catnip
01-Feb-08, 17:03
I put the bairn to nursery was not that bad at all, it was comming in bursts and we seemed to have avoided them!

Julia
01-Feb-08, 17:36
I took mine to and from school today by car, no problems at all, I didn't think it was that windy although it was very cold.

cd1977
01-Feb-08, 17:42
Kids these days don't even know they are born!

Soft is not the word. A wee bit of a breeze, that is all.

Get the kids out and toughen them up a little bit.

The schools are just as soft. A sympton of society in general really.