PDA

View Full Version : Help - am I addicted?

badger
31-Jan-08, 14:07
Last week, despite taking all usual precautions, my computer caught a nasty cold and was rescued by someone not far from here. However it took a few days and I was shocked by my reaction. It lives upstairs in its own little room and I kept finding myself heading in that direction, only to have to turn back. I got more and more miserable without it. This is terrible :eek: and sad. Get out, get a life. But I have a busy, active life so why wasn't it enough? Is there any treatment? Should I be trying to withdraw gradually?

Why am I here now when I should be doing something else? Go away - now !!!! Ok - I'm going.

alanatkie
31-Jan-08, 14:10
lol Badger.
I know the feeling but it just becomes a part of life & your routine. :roll:

rupert
31-Jan-08, 17:03
Its a weird thing. Some days I'm almost glued to the blooming thing and yet other days I can go the whole day without even switching it on. It must have a magnetic field around it that draws you to it once its switched on!!

mike.mckenzie
31-Jan-08, 18:31
Haha, yes it is highly annoying when you can't get online. I'm forever downloading and get itchy if I can't get the good american shows before they come out here!

Its got so bad, I have 4 laptops now just in case.

ciderally
31-Jan-08, 18:49
this is better than knitting xx

badger
31-Jan-08, 19:55
Haha, yes it is highly annoying when you can't get online. I'm forever downloading and get itchy if I can't get the good american shows before they come out here!

Its got so bad, I have 4 laptops now just in case.

I feel better now - haven't got to the 4 laptops stage, or even one spare. How do people manage without the Internet? Any time I want to know anything - it's there. Which is why it's so awful when it's not. Amuses me when people who don't have a computer - don't want it, no use for it - ask you to look something up. I really love searching for information. Beats housework any day :)

unicorn
31-Jan-08, 19:59
I remember for ages before we got our first pc argueing with hubby that we didn't need one, what possible use did we have for one..........hmmmm:eek::roll:

karia
31-Jan-08, 20:09
Aye badger..ye are!

I suggest giving in gracefully...don't try to fight it!

My computer 'lives' in the room between my bedroom and my bathroom and lord knows I try to 'walk on by' in the morning (gaze averted) until the loo is visited, face washed and teeth brushed...cuppa sorted.

BUT..

I'm not perfect..some mornings I visit......... UNWASHED!:eek::eek:

cuddlepop
31-Jan-08, 20:35
I remember for ages before we got our first pc argueing with hubby that we didn't need one, what possible use did we have for one..........hmmmm:eek::roll:

I was exactly the same Unicorn

Couldn't understand Oh addiction with it and was fed up with him disappearing upstairs to the spare room where the computor was,that I insisted it be brought into the living room.

We're now buying a lap top as we all want to use the pc.lol

Tilter
01-Feb-08, 00:35
Badger,

Some possible causes of addiction spring to mind (from one who can stay away from a pc for days on end):

1. Maybe you don't have anyone Badgering you to get off the thing.
2. There's nothing worth watching on telly these days for vegging to.
3. Maybe you're not stuck in front of a pc at work all day.
4. It's not as bad as Class A drugs.
5. You may not have noticed but it's winter, there's a dirty great storm going on outside, and you can't do anything in the garden. Your addiction will lessen come summer (or whatever you call July and August).

badger
01-Feb-08, 11:45
1. Maybe you don't have anyone Badgering you to get off the thing.
True - only my conscience so it's obviously not doing its job.

2. There's nothing worth watching on telly these days for vegging to.
Almost true - there are a few things still.

3. Maybe you're not stuck in front of a pc at work all day.
No I'm not - I'm stuck in front of it at home :roll:

4. It's not as bad as Class A drugs.
There you have a point

5. You may not have noticed but it's winter, there's a dirty great storm going on outside, and you can't do anything in the garden. Your addiction will lessen come summer (or whatever you call July and August).
Thought I'd be really good this morning and try to feed birds before logging on. Gave up - nearly got blown away. So here we are again. Wish you were right about summer but, try as I might, I don't like gardening. There - I've said it.

helenwyler
01-Feb-08, 12:55
You could try this questionnaire Badger...and there's a counselling service too!

I think using the internet only becomes a 'problem' if it makes you neglect other people or activities that are important to you. I have needed to go on a net diet occasionally (much nicer than a gross diet;)).

http://www.netaddiction.com/resources/internet_addiction_test.htm

mrsmo
01-Feb-08, 13:11
Yes you sound completely addicted, so join the club.
I had Santa get me a laptop for xmas as darling hubbie was complaining he thought I had left home. My desktop hides upstairs in a little cold room, so that killed 2 birds so to speak, I can now sit downstairs wrapped up in my throw on the sofa with my new laptop and darling hubbie can watch tv and we are all happy!!;)

Angela
01-Feb-08, 13:16
http://www.netaddiction.com/resources/internet_addiction_test.htm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.netaddiction.com/resources/internet_addiction_test.htm)

Thank you for that link, Helen....and here's a surprise, it seems I'm not an addict, only an "average user"!

The question about neglecting household chores in favour of going online :roll:...that one really scarcely counts - obviously almost anything would be preferable to housework....;)

lassieinfife
01-Feb-08, 13:23
My eldest daughter gave me her old puter 6 years ago......... what do I want with that says I, plenty to do in a day without that .....now a day dont go by that I would hate to be without it lol

helenwyler
01-Feb-08, 13:41
The question about neglecting household chores in favour of going online ...that one really scarcely counts - obviously almost anything would be preferable to housework....

Totally agree Angela! I would never count housework among activities that are important to me:mad:!!

Ah well...it's Friday, housework day. Back later[lol]!

sphinx
01-Feb-08, 15:10
me to cant help surfing the org...:lol:

Rie
01-Feb-08, 15:34
:D its totally addictive, i joined yesterday and cant keep off the thing, seems my pc is made for chatting on the org rather than helping me study or anything else.
my poor kids dont get a look in any more.

Thumper
01-Feb-08, 15:45
I am def not addicted...if I was I would do silly things like not want to refresh the page incase I lose the org...I dont do that...well not much...just when I think it might go down, but that doesnt mean I am addicted [para] oh ok then I am addicted ;) x

badger
01-Feb-08, 16:36
Thanks for the link Helen. You see I've only just got back on the .org (but have been online doing other things). What a relief, I'm average. So - back to the housework :( .

karia
01-Feb-08, 17:46
My name is karia..and I am a surfaholic!:eek:

trix
01-Feb-08, 18:02
it really bugs me when people tell me til get a life...

i da think its sad at all... i speak regulary til (real) people that mean 'e whole world til me. they help me wi any problems i hev, an i lek til think i do 'e same for them. in fact i da ken how i wid survive withoot ma trusty auntie k (x) its guid til talk....

or maybe they are rite, perhaps i should switch off an watch....coronation street?? eastenders??? or any ither mind-numbin crap thats on 'e telly these days :roll:

ps just for 'e record..........i cried when vera died....:lol:

karia
01-Feb-08, 18:06
i da think its sad at all... i speak regulary til (real) people that mean 'e whole world til me. they help me wi any problems i hev, an i lek til think i do 'e same for them. in fact i da ken how i wid survive withoot ma trusty auntie k (x) its guid til talk....

You return the favour many times over!;)

A.K xxx