PDA

View Full Version : Not A Valid Number

Shalom
30-Jan-08, 19:01
I get this message when I type in our phone number on several isp sites.....

This is not a valid number please try again

Any ideas?

DeHaviLand
30-Jan-08, 23:21
What exactly are you trying to do Shalom?

Bobinovich
30-Jan-08, 23:39
I'm guessing trying to sign up for Broadband and being told that their number is invalid. However I could be wrong!

I take it you've tried typing both with & without a space, and have used your full STD code?

Have you tried your current ISP's website to see if you're eligible for their broadband package?

If so then are you with a strange phoneline provider who could be causing the problem?

If not whereabouts are you? Maybe your location precludes you from broadband, although they should still not result in that particular error...

Shalom
02-Feb-08, 16:01
Thanks for the help. Our number is valid and I have tried it with and without spaces. On the BT site, it works OK but on the Tiscali one, I always get the message that our number is invalid or does not exist......and we are with Tiscali dial up now.
I tried it on the site that someone posted here re various Broadband isps and got the same invalid message.
We are with BT for the phone.......not a different provider.....
Our exchange is Gillock (less than a quarter mile down the road) and we CAN get a measly 512 kbs broadband....I'm not sure that it is worth changing from dial up for that much, really.
Thanks again!

NickInTheNorth
02-Feb-08, 16:12
Thanks for the help. Our number is valid and I have tried it with and without spaces. On the BT site, it works OK but on the Tiscali one, I always get the message that our number is invalid or does not exist......and we are with Tiscali dial up now.
I tried it on the site that someone posted here re various Broadband isps and got the same invalid message.
We are with BT for the phone.......not a different provider.....
Our exchange is Gillock (less than a quarter mile down the road) and we CAN get a measly 512 kbs broadband....I'm not sure that it is worth changing from dial up for that much, really.
Thanks again!

Not all providers are available on all exchanges, and yours sounds like one of them. Your option is basically go with BT or don't have broadband. And on the Tiscal checker the invalid number message seems to be what you get if it does not correspond to an exchange where they provide service.

Just as a bit of background information, many of the smaller rural exchanges that would probably still not have broadband availability if left to consumer demand were broadband activated as a result of a significant payment from the Scottish Exec to BT - Gillock was one of those exchanges.

The 512kb service while slow compared to some of the advertised services is 10 times the speed of your current service - not that bad really.

Shalom
02-Feb-08, 21:05
Thanks a lot, Nick. What you say does make sense. Will consider going with BT.