PDA

View Full Version : weather update for the next few days ...

Tugmistress
30-Jan-08, 18:01
hi folks, started a new thread as i was just getting lost on the old one lol

again, 95% confident for tomorrow, 80% confident for Friday, 75% confident for saturday, anything further on is not really worth looking at today with any degree of certainty as the charts are jumping round like a monkey on speed!

Thursday;
Wind - starting in the S/W tonight (midnight) veering to the N/W going through W about lunch time, speeds up to 80mph in gusts maybe a tad more at it's worst about lunch time to tea time, still very strong gusting about 50 - 60mph by midnight tomorrow.
anything falling out of the sky will probably be rain on low ground, hail/sleet/snow on high ground.
temps about same as today max of 4c i reckon on the coasts cooler inland and higher.

Friday;
Wind - easing down throughout the day to gusts of about 30mph by midnight Friday, starting off from the N backing to N/W quickly and staying there. It's pulling in air from the arctic so going to feel flipping brassy!
Anything falling from the sky liable to be snow/sleet/hail at all levels.
temps starting around maybe as high as 2c but dropping away to about -1 or lower depending on your height above sea level ( the higher you are the colder it will be) maybe as low as -4c in places.

Saturday;
Wind - not an issue, dropping away to virtually nothing throughout the day by midnight you'll be lucky to be in 15mph at it's worst. Direction backing from N/W to S/W.
Anything falling from the sky in the morning liable to be snow, though as the day goes on and the upper air gets warmer especially after lunch it will turn to rain.
temps warming up after lunch from brassy to about about 3 or 4c ... positively tropical after friday!

a couple of you have PM'd me about certain timings, i'll get back to you shortly, need a coffee first after working all that lot out :D

do you want me to update again tomorrow for over the weekend?

Saveman
30-Jan-08, 18:05
Yes please.....thanks for the info....and your hard work. :)

highlander
30-Jan-08, 18:07
Yes please tuggs, are we still in for that "dumping" lol 10cm etc

Tugmistress
30-Jan-08, 18:11
Yes please tuggs, are we still in for that "dumping" lol 10cm etc

Not looking as much as before but maybe still enough to get the kids (and us) sledging friday eveing and saturday morning before the rain starts again!

mums angels
30-Jan-08, 18:14
Thanks for the info Tugs i'm not a fan of the snow but the kids love it so they will be happy .. as for the wind tmrw night could you not chnage it to the friday night instead as hubby hopefully will be back by then if the airports allow it :lol:

Tighsonas4
30-Jan-08, 18:25
Thanks for the info Tugs i'm not a fan of the snow but the kids love it so they will be happy .. as for the wind tmrw night could you not chnage it to the friday night instead as hubby hopefully will be back by then if the airports allow it :lol:
going along with mums angels as far as the wind is concerned and
orkney radio seems to packed up all week maybe they got org trouble

alanatkie
30-Jan-08, 18:32
lol tigh. :lol:

Tuggs - updates would be great, thanks for the info.

cuddlepop
30-Jan-08, 18:42
We've just had a cracking peel of thunder overhead.Think there's more to come as the dogs are shaking.:~(

miranda
30-Jan-08, 18:51
cheers tuggs your info seems to be most accurate for our area keep up the good work!! your coffee is well deserved!!:lol:

Moira
30-Jan-08, 18:53
Tuggs - keep the updates coming please. I think Highland Council should have you on some kind of retainer in order to plan their gritting/snow-plough operations more effectively. :D

Mik.M.
30-Jan-08, 19:59
Tuggs thanks for the update ,get Neep to make coffee for you. An update tomorrow would be greatly appreciated. Your a star!

young_fishin_neep
30-Jan-08, 20:35
Dont encourage her :mad:, i make enough coffees in this house im suprised she knows were the kettle is!

hehehe :lol:

kazzii xxxxx

Kenn
30-Jan-08, 21:11
young fishin' neep, whilst ye're mum might be able to sniff snow in the air, I can smell pork! NO that's not the way to the kitchen and please wash up those 12 dirty mugs on the bedside table.

Venture
31-Jan-08, 10:39
The weather in Wick is VERY quiet at the moment. Is this the lull before the storm

neepnipper
31-Jan-08, 11:33
Wind picking up now, had a few flurries of snow this morning, feeling very cold, got my thermals ready!!

Liz
31-Jan-08, 13:15
Thanks as always for the info Tuggs.
It is nice and sunny where I live just now but the wind is picking up and there are a lot of grey clouds so not looking good.

Saveman
31-Jan-08, 13:36
There be snow/sleet in Bilbster

Tugmistress
31-Jan-08, 13:38
looking like the centre of the low is going to track right above us, so yes, this is a brief blow, then a lull later on today before the main event :roll:

ferry is taking advantage of the lull too

Due to adverse weather conditions and in the interest of passenger safety and comfort, the 11:00 sailing from Stromness and the 13:15 sailing from Scrabster have been cancelled.
The 16:45 sailing from Stromness will now depart at 15:45 and the 19:00 sailing from Scrabster will now depart at 17:45.

Liz
31-Jan-08, 13:43
Well that's the snow started in Reiss and it's flipping cold even with the heating on!
Keep warm and safe everyone. Highlander get these coos and hens tied down!!!

Highland Laddie
31-Jan-08, 14:24
Highland Council should have you on some kind of retainer in order to plan their gritting/snow-plough operations more effectively. :D

What gritting have they done this year so far, very very little, and there have been quite a few slippy roads whilst driving home these last few weeks.

Dadie
31-Jan-08, 16:35
Doesnt look like hubby is going to get to aviemore skiing this weekend even though the snow fall will be good (too much weather in the form of wind and gales) we will have to stay at home and get on with the decorating instead!

mike.mckenzie
31-Jan-08, 18:33
If there is, I am jealous. Never get snow in tropical Liverpool.

unicorn
31-Jan-08, 18:35
nope just wet sleety stuff.

danc1ngwitch
31-Jan-08, 18:39
Throws a cyber snowball, nope none yet.. Cana wait ta get out and play when it comes[lol]

badger
31-Jan-08, 19:58
The weather in Wick is VERY quiet at the moment. Is this the lull before the storm

We've got the storm now and it's so black out. My doorknocker keeps knocking but I'm not letting it in.

highbury
31-Jan-08, 19:59
changing the subject , Mike have you any more Music samples to put on our Phones ?

and I guess as in kent, I must be equatorial (tho blowin so much today, like bein back in Occumster)

cuddlepop
31-Jan-08, 20:32
We've got the storm now and it's so black out. My doorknocker keeps knocking but I'm not letting it in.

Not by the hair on your chin e chin chin.:lol:

Tugmistress
31-Jan-08, 21:01
ok, i think you all know the wind is building lol the ferry didn't get it's lull like it hoped but it still sailed :eek: was interesting watching it berth! anyway, i digress ... you want an update? ... here it is :D

tonight,
wind swinging through north to possible NNE direction and may ease towards midnight for a short while slightly.
temp, right now i am registering 5.5c it may drop a little lower but only by a degree or so.
rain, probably lol

friday
starting in the NNE backing to N/W by midnight friday, speeds slowly dying through the day to gusts of about 30mph by midnight tomorrow.
temps dropping and will end up about -2c or thereabouts by the afternoon, so watch out for wet roads and pavements turning glassy. may get as low as -5c after tea time and towards midnight.
rain, after lunch anything that falls from the sky is liable to be snow even here, before lunch, it's pot luck!

saturday
wind, still easing, backing from N/W to S/W to virtually a gentle breeze by the end of the day
temps warming slowly after midnight, should be above 0c by mid afternoon which will not be good for snow lovers as it will then start turning to slushy muck whatever hasn't been blown away
rain, whatever falls out of the sky until about 6am will more than likely be snow, after that, again, pot luck as to your height above sea level.

sunday
wind S/W backing to SSW still not worth mentioning for speeds
temps about 3 or 4c so slow snow melt and muck
rain, anything falling will probably be wet not white.

will leave updates at that as you will be getting bored by now ...

Paula

Moira
31-Jan-08, 21:02
What gritting have they done this year so far, very very little, and there have been quite a few slippy roads whilst driving home these last few weeks.

I'm not aware of the official figures, Highland Laddie. I just happened to notice a fresh sprinkling of sand/salt on the pavements in Wick a couple of weeks ago when the frost had actually given up the night previously. I then found myself "skating" around in Thurso a few days after, with not a drop of sand/salt to be seen, when a keen frost had beset us for at least a couple of days.

As far as I know,the Highland Council are responsible for the sanding/gritting within the towns in our area and the A9 is the responsibility of an outside Contractor. I do a fair bit of driving between Caithness & Inverness and have come to rely on Tuggs' weather forecasts, hence my original post here.

Rourkee
31-Jan-08, 21:04
Try this webside to see whats happening on the Wick side. This site along with the Tugmistress gives a pretty good idea of Caithness weather.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

changilass
31-Jan-08, 21:30
I never get bored of your updates Paula, I find them very useful.

Keep up the good work, you are a wee gem.

Venture
31-Jan-08, 21:32
That's a really good weather website. Gives you lots of details. Hope they've got it wrong for tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. with the wind speed at 53 mph, the kids will be blown to school.

bluelady
31-Jan-08, 21:56
not yet but high gales. just saw next doors wheelie bin off for a walk on its own ! [lol]

neepnipper
31-Jan-08, 22:35
Blowing a real hoolie here in Auckengill and rain thrown in for good measure, just took dogs out for a quick wee, a combination of mega winds and wet grass and whoosh I found myself laid out flat on the lawn! Dogs were looking at me as if I'd gone mad as I lay there wondering which bits of myself I'd damaged! Just ended up with a muddy rear end and a cricky neck!

skinnydog
31-Jan-08, 22:48
It is so windy just now it sounds like the whole of my roof is going to come off, which I hope it doesn't. Went out for a walk with the dog and he was nearly blown off his skinny little legs. Never seen him try to get home as fast as he did tonight!! The weather update are really helpful so thanks very much!

lynne duncan
31-Jan-08, 22:55
bairns and hubby are sleeping but don't know how the wind is howling outside, thought it was noisy last night, think i'll try ear plugs tonight, (usually hughie has them for my snoring)

rfr10
31-Jan-08, 22:57
So what's the chances of a day off school tomorrow? :P

badger
31-Jan-08, 22:58
We'll never be bored with your posts, Paula, don't know what we'd do without them.

Moira
31-Jan-08, 23:00
<snip>
will leave updates at that as you will be getting bored by now ...

Paula

Bored? - never. Interested? -as always Tuggs. Please keep the updates coming. It's still blowing a hoolie in Wick right now. I am glad I re-scheduled my travel-logue for tomorrow :)

Aquarian Girl
31-Jan-08, 23:27
Thanks for that Tugmistress. Always good to get an update from you. Like to check your website for wind speeds. Hate the wind soooooooooo much.

Moira
31-Jan-08, 23:33
Bored? - never. Interested? -as always Tuggs. Please keep the updates coming. It's still blowing a hoolie in Wick right now. I am glad I re-scheduled my travel-logue for tomorrow :)

Tuggs to the rescue once more......

bekisman
31-Jan-08, 23:33
Well here at Strathy Point it's 10.33pm the wind's died down and just a wee breeze outside - but don't think that will last long!

miranda
31-Jan-08, 23:37
just gone 10.30 pm still no snow in wick but i hope it hurries up ...i want a day off work!!!!!!!!:D

chaz
31-Jan-08, 23:46
Its died down here a bit also , but still raining:( .Please keep the weather updates coming Tugmistress they are much appreciated.:)

bop
31-Jan-08, 23:51
cheers for the updates tugs!! :)

Highland Laddie
01-Feb-08, 03:21
2:20 am and the outside temperature is reading 3.2 degrees c here in wick.

Tugmistress
01-Feb-08, 08:37
2:20 am and the outside temperature is reading 3.2 degrees c here in wick.

Wont be cold enough until this afternoon ... sorry

cuddlepop
01-Feb-08, 09:56
There's been a covering here but not much to write home about.

Power went off at some point last night and still a bit wobbly.

Somewhere there getting a battering but its not us.:):(

rfr10
01-Feb-08, 16:54
Wow! Look at all the snow outside! Must be about 1 cm... oh wait.. it's melted. Disappointing. Would have been good to have snow since we haven't had much in the last two years.

trix
01-Feb-08, 17:02
...i want a day off work!!!!!!!!

ye got it miranda :lol:

enjoy yer w'end....

an 'at goes for all ye's lots too....;)

sadam
01-Feb-08, 17:25
Does anyone know what the roads are like from Inverness upwards and what we can expect for the rest of the day?

badger
01-Feb-08, 19:20
Tuggs to the rescue once more......

If it rains much more we're going to need a tug to the rescue. Water, water everywhere.

trix
01-Feb-08, 19:30
just opened ma curtains ifanow - ok, ok, dropt masel in id...i admit, iv bin dossin in ma jamys all day...:roll:

anyway, e grun is white :eek: must o' hed a wee 'dumpin' at some point aday....o' snow 'at is...

miranda
01-Feb-08, 21:01
yup trix we got a day off enjoyed doing nothing lol but now that your up and at it at :roll:""what time of day do you call this"":roll: i hevnt got enough snow to go sledging!!!!!!!! catnip asked me oot to play wi her sledge!! lol

chaz
02-Feb-08, 01:08
Been out with the kids on the sledge:)
Any chance of another update Tugmistress , im getting too old for this sledging:lol:

cuddlepop
02-Feb-08, 07:42
Pure white here and still snowing it looks so beautiful.
Dogs desperate to go out so got up to make a cup of tea,opened the door and wow.....that wasn't there last night.:eek::D

Ash
02-Feb-08, 09:43
white here, its lovely

Tugmistress
02-Feb-08, 10:06
Been out with the kids on the sledge:)
Any chance of another update Tugmistress , im getting too old for this sledging:lol:

make the most if it today! tomorrow will see it off (apart from any thick drifts and even then they will possibly disappear too).

chaz
02-Feb-08, 10:13
Thanks for the update, looks like im going to have more sore bones going down the hill today:lol:

orkneylass
02-Feb-08, 13:01
Very little snow in Orkney by last night but when I went into Kirkwall to collect my son at 10pm all hell let loose. Out in the East, just a dusting this morning but it has been snowing frequently since 8.30am, so we now have about 5cm. Luckily next to no wind - that would now cause a big problem. It looks very pretty. Friend sent me pics of a dusting of snow in Glasgow this morning.

DeHaviLand
02-Feb-08, 13:41
Had about 4 inches of snow, from late yesterday afternon to this morning. The dogs loved it. I wasnt so keen when I had to drive down to the village, but just about every kid in the village between the ages of 3 and 73 was out sledging. Even had a go myself. Marvellous:lol: