PDA

View Full Version : Suits you sir!

karia
29-Jan-08, 15:08
Have you noticed that shop assistants are now being told to 'congratulate' shoppers on their choice of purchase?:roll:

This started some months ago when it became impossible to take an item of clothing to a till without having the assistant gasp in delight at the wisdom of your purchase and tell you that they really wanted one themselves.

Now it has stepped up a gear and supermarket checkout staff are telling you what a wise choice of vegetables etc. you are buying and how they had that particular 'ready meal' only last night and gosh it was great!

What next I wonder.

"Excellent choice of Haemorrhoid ointment madam,,the very one I always use...in fact just this morning I had a bit of discomfort.......etc":eek:

It's insincere and annoying!

What do you reckon...or hasn't it started up there yet?

Metalattakk
29-Jan-08, 16:05
And they wonder why internet shopping is so popular...

karia
29-Jan-08, 16:21
And they wonder why internet shopping is so popular...

Exactly! I don't want to have a discussion about everything I buy.:roll:

Another bugbear is when they say "That's a good price"...as if they were doing you a favour by selling it to you!:eek:

Whitewater
29-Jan-08, 16:28
I know how you feel. Nothing makes me leave a shop quicker than when I'm browsing looking for an item of clothing, and a shop assistant, probably on commission, latches on to you and tells you how good you would look in this or that item. I have a word for them but I'm not allowed to say it here so you will just have to guess.

scorrie
29-Jan-08, 16:38
Have you noticed that shop assistants are now being told to 'congratulate' shoppers on their choice of purchase?:roll:

"Excellent choice of Haemorrhoid ointment madam,,the very one I always use...in fact just this morning I had a bit of discomfort.......etc":eek:

?

I can't say that the assistants get too involved when I ask them about the merits of Preparation H, compared to Anusol. They seem happier to leave me and my "Rockford Files" to sort it out for ourselves. By the way, "Anusol", what a refreshingly honest name for a product, the Ronseal of the medicine cabinet, does exactly what it says on the tube.

karia
29-Jan-08, 16:48
I can't say that the assistants get too involved when I ask them about the merits of Preparation H, compared to Anusol.

That's the worry Scorrie, soon (if they follow the trend down here) you won't have the luxury of asking them...oh no!:roll:

They will foist their opinions upon you (loudly!) about everything in your basket to make you feel that you are a 'savvy' shopper and in the hope that you will leave with a glow of pride rather than embarrassment... and a loyalty card!;)

karia
29-Jan-08, 17:04
Reading my posts on this thread I thought I'd best make something clear...you know how easily things get misconstrued.;)

I have no problem in engaging in conversation with staff in shops and supermarkets and indeed always do as it makes the transaction much more pleasant and I am a friendly chatty person by nature.

It is purely the comments on my purchases which I find insincere and patronising and I now find that I am avoiding eye contact and conversation in case they start going on about my choice of knickers or anti wrinkle cream!:(

Angela
29-Jan-08, 17:21
I have no problem in engaging in conversation with staff in shops and supermarkets and indeed always do as it makes the transaction much more pleasant and I am a friendly chatty person by nature.

It is purely the comments on my purchases which I find insincere and patronising

I feel the same, karia! A wee bit of chat is pleasant and friendly, but I didn't really welcome the lengthy speech I had to endure from an M&S assistant recently, approving my choice of knickers -in fact I thought it was just pants! :eek: ;)

brew
29-Jan-08, 17:37
By the way, "Anusol", what a refreshingly honest name for a product, the Ronseal of the medicine cabinet, does exactly what it says on the tube.

best stuff to put on a new tattoo

karia
29-Jan-08, 17:38
best stuff to put on a new tattoo

What a strange area to get tattooed!:roll::lol:

northener
29-Jan-08, 21:24
What a strange area to get tattooed!

Nice one!

Spike Milligan tells a cracking story about one of the soldiers in his unit who caught crab lice.

He snuck into Boots to buy some 'Blue Unction' which apparently was only used to rid oneself of the dreaded beasties - so it's obvious what the problem is when you're buying it.....

He managed to attract the shop girls' attention and attempted to whisper his requirement, so his fellow shoppers wouldn't twig.

"Er, I'd like some Blue Unction, please"
"What?" - Very loudly, came the reply.
"I said I'd like some Blue Unction" he hissed through his teeth,
"Eh, yer what? - in the same loud voice.

By now people are starting to look, so the squaddie leaned over the counter and very slowly and as controlled as he could be, whispered through gritted teeth - " I said I'd like some Blue Unction!"

"Blue Unction! What do you want Blue Unction for?" she said, in a voice that could be heard at the back of the Chemists.

"BECAUSE I'VE GOT £%&*$+**G CRABS YOU STUPID *^$"^%&G COW!" he bawled back at the top of his voice.[lol]

scorrie
29-Jan-08, 21:40
Nice one!

Spike Milligan tells a cracking story about one of the soldiers in his unit who caught crab lice.

He snuck into Boots to buy some 'Blue Unction' which apparently was only used to rid oneself of the dreaded beasties - so it's obvious what the problem is when you're buying it.....

He managed to attract the shop girls' attention and attempted to whisper his requirement, so his fellow shoppers wouldn't twig.

"Er, I'd like some Blue Unction, please"
"What?" - Very loudly, came the reply.
"I said I'd like some Blue Unction" he hissed through his teeth,
"Eh, yer what? - in the same loud voice.

By now people are starting to look, so the squaddie leaned over the counter and very slowly and as controlled as he could be, whispered through gritted teeth - " I said I'd like some Blue Unction!"

"Blue Unction! What do you want Blue Unction for?" she said, in a voice that could be heard at the back of the Chemists.

"BECAUSE I'VE GOT £%&*$+**G CRABS YOU STUPID *^$"^%&G COW!" he bawled back at the top of his voice.[lol]

I remember that story. The first few books in the series were excellent but it got a bit more emotional and less funny as it went on.

"The mist is on the swonicles"

karia
29-Jan-08, 21:44
'Adolph Hitler, my part in his downfall' was as far as I got!:D

What'd I miss?

Margaret M.
29-Jan-08, 21:53
A sincere conversation at the till is fine but I hope the chatty checkout doesn't find its way over here. 'Have a nice day' is annoying enough.

TBH
29-Jan-08, 21:57
Reading my posts on this thread I thought I'd best make something clear...you know how easily things get misconstrued.;)

So you don't use preparation H? It's supposedly a good anti-wrinkle cream.[lol]

karia
29-Jan-08, 21:59
So you don't use preparation H?[lol]

I am prepared from A-Z!;)

Aaldtimer
30-Jan-08, 03:21
'Adolph Hitler, my part in his downfall' was as far as I got!:D

What'd I miss?

Puckoon! If that doesn't make ye laugh, nothing will![lol]

hotrod4
30-Jan-08, 08:21
Have you noticed that shop assistants are now being told to 'congratulate' shoppers on their choice of purchase?

This started some months ago when it became impossible to take an item of clothing to a till without having the assistant gasp in delight at the wisdom of your purchase and tell you that they really wanted one themselves.

Now it has stepped up a gear and supermarket checkout staff are telling you what a wise choice of vegetables etc. you are buying and how they had that particular 'ready meal' only last night and gosh it was great!

What next I wonder.

"Excellent choice of Haemorrhoid ointment madam,,the very one I always use...in fact just this morning I had a bit of discomfort.......etc"

It's insincere and annoying!

What do you reckon...or hasn't it started up there yet?

I work in Clothing and understand how you feel.
From the day I started I was constantly told by the owner NOT to pester Customers. If they want to browse then let them, dont jump on them as soon as they come through the door.
I find it works better as your not pressured at all, though I have to keep an eye on my customers as sometimes people want help but dont ask!!!.
I think the best thing is to find a happy medium(another thread I know!!!) and NOT pressure customers,BUT be GENUINELY friendly and chatty and not comment on how lovely their new Y fronts are they know that already or they wouldnt have bought them :)

On to the more important issue of Scorrie's Rockford files!
Had to double check the posts when I saw the word "Spike" thankfully you were on about Spike Milligan and not some quick "cure", that would be too much ;)

hotrod4
30-Jan-08, 08:24
So you don't use preparation H? It's supposedly a good anti-wrinkle cream.

Funny place to have wrinkles though :)
The wife always did say I had a face like a slapped ????? anyway, suppose shes right then ;)

northener
30-Jan-08, 09:12
Hotrod,

It's strange that when I saw the posts about piles I thought of 'Spike'...

Hang on........'Hot Rod'.....:eek:

Regarding Milligan, the guy has done some fantastic books -As Aaldtiner says, I'd recommend 'Puckoon' to anyone. But as Scorrie says, his war memoirs get darker as he charts his own mental breakdown. Still worth reading though.

Spike suffered terribly with piles - they actually burst when he was being mortared and Spike thought he'd been badly hit.

scorrie
30-Jan-08, 11:15
I work in Clothing

On to the more important issue of Scorrie's Rockford files!
Had to double check the posts when I saw the word "Spike" thankfully you were on about Spike Milligan and not some quick "cure", that would be too much ;)

I work in Clothing as well. I found that it upset my colleagues when I used to turn up in the nudie!!

Spikes are not recommended for the Farmer Giles. A GP recommended Sudocreme to me when I had food poisoning and suffered related "fall out" from the aftershock. I didn't have any in the house at the time, so King of Shaves had to step into the breach. It was quite a good substitute but be careful not to confuse with the Deep Heat tube!!

Torvaig
30-Jan-08, 13:56

This is the crux of the matter; they are being told to do this; it is part of their remit to take an interest in the customer's choice. When I first came across this locally, I was delighted that the assistant was talking to me and not to one of her colleagues as usual and it wasn't until I went into that same shop several times that I realised that they had been instructed to do so.

It's a shame that it doesn't come naturally to some people as it doesn't quite do the trick for me when I know they have to.

There are shops locally which are a delight to go into but in some places all too often the level of customer service is seriously lacking and I think there is an opening for setting up a local "mystery shopper" service and sending reports to owners/employers regarding the level of service we get. I know the big companys do this but some of the locally owned businesses could do with doing the same.

Ricco
30-Jan-08, 14:26
I once bought a suit, shirt and tie from Suits You Sir. The sales guy congratulated me on my taste and excellent choice..... he was wearing exactly the same.

Looked better on him, though. :D

northener
30-Jan-08, 19:08
I once bought a suit, shirt and tie from Suits You Sir. The sales guy congratulated me on my taste and excellent choice..... he was wearing exactly the same.

Looked better on him, though. :D

Good name for a shop!

When I used to despatch ride in London, one of my drop off points on the Kings Road was a shoe shop called 'R. Soles' - seriously.

hotrod4
30-Jan-08, 19:09
I work in Clothing as well. I found that it upset my colleagues when I used to turn up in the nudie!!

Spikes are not recommended for the Farmer Giles. A GP recommended Sudocreme to me when I had food poisoning and suffered related "fall out" from the aftershock. I didn't have any in the house at the time, so King of Shaves had to step into the breach. It was quite a good substitute but be careful not to confuse with the Deep Heat tube!!

:) Nice one Scorrie 1-0 to you ;)
Made me laugh

Ricco
30-Jan-08, 19:10
Good name for a shop!

When I used to despatch ride in London, one of my drop off points on the Kings Road was a shoe shop called 'R. Soles' - seriously.

In Cyprus the sports shops are called Athletes Foot - seriously.

karia
30-Jan-08, 19:11
Good name for a shop!

You are so right northener 'looks better on him, though' is a fantastic name for a shop!;)

hotrod4
30-Jan-08, 19:12
Good name for a shop!

That must be where a head chef I once worked with came from.
If he caught anyone trying to sit on a kitchen table he used to shout "Those tables are for Rissoles not R.Soles!"

At least that cleared that up!!(unlike Scorries rockfords;))

anneoctober
30-Jan-08, 19:37
Karia, I blame you entirely for my aching sides and teary eyes!:eek:
I have n't laughed so much in ages, from "Have a nice day" to "R.soles" in one fantastic thread! [lol]

Thumper
30-Jan-08, 19:37
My catering teacher at college used to shout that at me all the time hotrod...I wonder if its the same guy :eek: x

scorrie
30-Jan-08, 19:58
Good name for a shop!

Apparently there was a Health Centre in Spain called "Club Fit" which caused much hilarity amongst visiting Glaswegians.

karia
30-Jan-08, 20:06
It's well worth watching out for the names of 'Chinese Restaurants' and Hairdressing establishments...especially in out of the way areas.

There's a lot of humour out there ....as the man from the 'Lok Jaw' said when handing me my spare ribs!:lol:

anneoctober
30-Jan-08, 20:13
Apparently there was a Health Centre in Spain called "Club Fit" which caused much hilarity amongst visiting Glaswegians.
Scorrie, please stop, - my bones are sore wi laughin' [lol]

hotrod4
30-Jan-08, 22:32
http://www.shophorror.co.uk/pages/3.html
A good one for all the ladies!

karia
30-Jan-08, 23:44
I almost deleted this thread after half an hour or so of posting as it had zero responses..

..so glad I held my nerve!:D

anneoctober
31-Jan-08, 20:54
I almost deleted this thread after half an hour or so of posting as it had zero responses..

..so glad I held my nerve!
Pity you could n't have held me ribs together Karia....:eek: [lol]

karia
31-Jan-08, 20:57
Pity you could n't have held me ribs together Karia....

I will take that as a compliment anne!:D

anneoctober
31-Jan-08, 21:04
I will take that as a compliment anne!
St.Peter will have a few questions to ask of you........and trix [lol] My ribs will never be the same again! Was the funniest thread for ages:lol:

karia
31-Jan-08, 21:15
St.Peter will have a few questions to ask of you........and trix My ribs will never be the same again! Was the funniest thread for ages:lol:

It 'evolved' and ended up far off topic...wasn't it fun though!

That's what I love about this place..you say something and it evolves and grows..shame on those who seek to keep things 'rigidly on topic' for they misseth the mirth!;)

TBH
01-Feb-08, 21:59
It 'evolved' and ended up far off topic...wasn't it fun though!

That's what I love about this place..you say something and it evolves and grows..shame on those who seek to keep things 'rigidly on topic' for they misseth the mirth!;)All said and done, would you rather have a cashier discuss your purchase or make a tanoy announcement asking for a price check on preparation H?:lol:

karia
01-Feb-08, 22:50
All said and done, would you rather have a cashier discuss your purchase or make a tanoy announcement asking for a price check on preparation H?:lol:

If I purchase goods then that's my business and should neither be commented on quietly...or TANOYED..loudly!

Which would you prefer..since you raised the subject?;)