PDA

View Full Version : Eagle's Rock

Valerie Campbell
28-Jan-08, 16:36
I know about the crash and the death of the Duke of Kent. But why are there so many conspiracy theories surrounding it? Was it not simply an accident? Any thoughts?

Flair
28-Jan-08, 17:00
Everything surrounding royalty is very cloak & dagger. There's always somebody plotting to bump off somebody else.

As for why it's said to be a conspiracy and not and accident. The press don't like accidents, they're boring. Conspiracies make for a much better read as they make the plot seem thicker than it really is.

Gizmo
28-Jan-08, 18:38
As for why it's said to be a conspiracy and not and accident. The press don't like accidents, they're boring. Conspiracies make for a much better read as they make the plot seem thicker than it really is.

Yip...and you can get years of press out of a good one, with an accident you maybe get one or two days.

Buttercup
28-Jan-08, 19:22
Have to agree with Flair and Gizmo. But it's not only the Press that can't accept that accidents do happen, in some cases the public are just as guilty.

Rheghead
28-Jan-08, 19:32
I think the mystery is more in how it crashed rather than why it crashed. The explanations don't match up with forensic evidence or witness evidence on the ground. It is strange that the MOD have absolutely no record of crash investigation whatsoever. Which is strange given the King's brother was on the flight. There are other investigations available to view around that time.

SNOWDOG
28-Jan-08, 20:38
There certainly has been a lot of theories over the years. Most of them have originated from the fact that after the crash they had accounted for all 13 people on board. Yet in the morning after the crash the tail gunner turned up at a cottage some miles from the crash site.
This left the authorities with an extra body to explain.
Some have suggested that the extra person onboard the aircraft was a female, others have made a case that it had landed on Loch More to pick up Hess.

Dusty
28-Jan-08, 23:04
I think you will find that the Duke of Kent was secretly in love with Mohamed Al Fayed's sister and that a squad of commandos from Spean Bridge engineered the crash.

There remains the mystery of the white single seater aeroplane which is alleged to have made contact with the Sunderland Flying Boat just before the crash.
The only survivor, the rear gunner could never remember the details of the flight clearly.
Churchill who was normally supplied with his cigars by the King's brother, chose to order from another source in the days before the incident...coincidence?

Fortunately for us, Paul Burrell has remembered extensive details about the whole thing and he has agreed to very kindly allow us access to his memories via a book due to be published soon.
[lol]

Valerie Campbell
29-Jan-08, 12:22
I think you will find that the Duke of Kent was secretly in love with Mohamed Al Fayed's sister and that a squad of commandos from Spean Bridge engineered the crash.

There remains the mystery of the white single seater aeroplane which is alleged to have made contact with the Sunderland Flying Boat just before the crash.
The only survivor, the rear gunner could never remember the details of the flight clearly.
Churchill who was normally supplied with his cigars by the King's brother, chose to order from another source in the days before the incident...coincidence?

Fortunately for us, Paul Burrell has remembered extensive details about the whole thing and he has agreed to very kindly allow us access to his memories via a book due to be published soon.
[lol]

I'll look forward to Burrell's book then!!!!

Cattach
29-Jan-08, 12:30
I know about the crash and the death of the Duke of Kent. But why are there so many conspiracy theories surrounding it? Was it not simply an accident? Any thoughts?

David Bews, Thurso is your man for info on Eagles Rock. He is a Military Historian amongst other things and has researched the crash fully. He has some very interesting findings and a lots of answers to previously unanswered questions.

rob murray
29-Jan-08, 13:49

Apparently there are a few recognised and wholly accepted anomolies regarding the crash

1 Why the plane deviated from its agreed flight path
2 Why the plane, against all accepted instructions, flew over land
3 The initial reported and accepted body count ( ie total found dead on the day of the crash as reported and officially accepted ) was wrong, a survivor ( Flight Sergeant Jack ) turned up a day after the crash
4 Why the crash area was cleared of all trace of the plane

These are all recognised facts and are unexplained. Other speculation has focused on

1 Why was the Kings brother on the plane / what was he supposed to be doing
2 Why if the plane was going to Iceland were large sums of Swedish Kroner found etc etc
3 Why was the Duke found dead with a briefcase handcuffed to his arm

In the absence of any official statements and records on 1-4 above, conspiracists dwell on 1 2 and 3.

Was it an accident ? no one will ever really know, the pilot is wholly blamed in the enquiry but all evidence suggests that the guy wouldnt have taken the plane off the flight path etc ( this is similar to the Chinnook helicopted crash of 1994, the pilot was blamed but as we will see, he was blameless. I ve read the recent book that alludes to a Rudolph Hess connection with Eagle Rock, in the book the investigation of the crash is really comprehensive and raises unexplained / unanswered questions. I dont buy the Hess connection at all but worth reading for Eagle Rock.

Rheghead
17-Jun-08, 01:04
Apparently there are a few recognised and wholly accepted anomolies regarding the crash

1 Why the plane deviated from its agreed flight path
2 Why the plane, against all accepted instructions, flew over land
3 The initial reported and accepted body count ( ie total found dead on the day of the crash as reported and officially accepted ) was wrong, a survivor ( Flight Sergeant Jack ) turned up a day after the crash
4 Why the crash area was cleared of all trace of the plane

These are all recognised facts and are unexplained. Other speculation has focused on

1 Why was the Kings brother on the plane / what was he supposed to be doing
2 Why if the plane was going to Iceland were large sums of Swedish Kroner found etc etc
3 Why was the Duke found dead with a briefcase handcuffed to his arm

In the absence of any official statements and records on 1-4 above, conspiracists dwell on 1 2 and 3.

Was it an accident ? no one will ever really know, the pilot is wholly blamed in the enquiry but all evidence suggests that the guy wouldnt have taken the plane off the flight path etc ( this is similar to the Chinnook helicopted crash of 1994, the pilot was blamed but as we will see, he was blameless. I ve read the recent book that alludes to a Rudolph Hess connection with Eagle Rock, in the book the investigation of the crash is really comprehensive and raises unexplained / unanswered questions. I dont buy the Hess connection at all but worth reading for Eagle Rock.

I would have a guess that they deviated from their flightpath to save time on the flight instead of flying around the coast, half an hour perhaps?

The crash was probably cleared of wreckage for two reasons. The recovery of the extensively used aluminium as salvage would make sense since aluminium comes from abroad and it is very energy intensive to extract. The other reason may be more subtle, in 1942 the Royal family were held in esteem by the Public, leaving a visible site of a death of a Royal would be unbecoming from the armed forces. Thi smay also be the reason why the official report is now lost from Public records. The royal family would want such a record to remain as much as possible a very private matter, the report effectively reports the events leading up to the death of a loved one.

Wasn't the Krona the Icelandic currency in 1942? A spelling error may be an explanation if the Kroner part of the story is actually true, I do not know the source. I doubt if he had a briefcase handcuffed to his wrist if he was on a long flight to Iceland.

I don't buy the Hess conspiracy theory at all, it all depends on a Sunderland being able to land and take off from Loch More which is too short a distance from north to south in 1942.

brokencross
17-Jun-08, 07:10
There is a Channel 4 documentary "The Queen's Lost Uncle" which relates the tale, including all the anomalies, conspiracy theory etc. Was quite a good watch, but to quote the title of an old Johnny Nash song "There Are More Questions Than Answers"