PDA

View Full Version : Post Office Scales

Wellies
27-Jan-08, 20:12
Has anyone had large letters weighed at the PO just to find out when they arrive at the destination that they have been underpaid. I did this last week and 4 out of 5 letters were wrong and I now owe £5.76 for underpaid postage.

NickInTheNorth
27-Jan-08, 20:21
Has anyone had large letters weighed at the PO just to find out when they arrive at the destination that they have been underpaid. I did this last week and 4 out of 5 letters were wrong and I now owe £5.76 for underpaid postage.

If you had them weighed and measured at the post office counter I cannot see how they can enforce that.

I certainly wouldn't be paying it out very readily, without a proper explanation.

Wellies
27-Jan-08, 20:24
I was told they were just a large letter. The worst thing is because they have now arrived late at the destinations it has now cost the club two competition wins. I think that is what is most maddening.

karia
27-Jan-08, 20:35
My elderly, very ill mother received a 'Post Office' directive advising that there was a letter awaiting her on which the postage had not been paid...given that she is on a ventilator we explained that we would have to collect it on her behalf and pay the missing postage...they were not for having that and a battle ensued with my mum becoming more and more concerned about the contents of this seemingly important letter.

Eventually they decided that it might just (only just mind!) be okay if we went in and paid the postage and they sent it back out to my mum's address.

When it turned up it was from.... the Dept of Work and Pensions advising her of the contribution she would receive because she is on the ventilator!:eek:

unicorn
27-Jan-08, 20:47
If it went on the scales it has to be the post offices problem not yours, if they can't do their job properly it's not your fault. Are we going to have to send everything recorded delivery just to prove we went through the counter now :eek:

Wellies
27-Jan-08, 20:53
Exactly Unicorn but how do I prove that it was weighed if i don't have the proof. Even I manage to get the Post Office to admit it was at fault it won't help us with the competitions will it.

badger
27-Jan-08, 21:00
A while ago there was a lot of publicity about people being overcharged now after weighing etc. at PO so it seems they are inaccurate both ways. Since they have been in trouble for overcharging I would think it worth fighting about undercharging.

What with that and all those undelivered parcels, makes you wonder what we're paying for.

Tristan
27-Jan-08, 21:26
Exactly Unicorn but how do I prove that it was weighed if i don't have the proof. Even I manage to get the Post Office to admit it was at fault it won't help us with the competitions will it.

If you get a proof of postage every time that may help. Ask them to use the printed stamps rather than proper ones?
I had an item that was overweight by the weight of the stamp .....wait for it....that the post office added.[disgust]

DeHaviLand
27-Jan-08, 21:38
If you get a proof of postage every time that may help. Ask them to use the printed stamps rather than proper ones?
I had an item that was overweight by the weight of the stamp .....wait for it....that the post office added.[disgust]

WOW, how much did the stamp weigh??????????

brokencross
28-Jan-08, 08:20
I am really glad I read this post.
I have just bought some large envelopes (A4 size ish I thought) to forward some mail on to my daughter; normally I would just weigh it at home as a check then post it with a "large" stamp on it.

Having seen this I looked up the Royal Mail website http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/home/ and looked under Postal Prices - First Class

The envelopes I bought are about 380mm x 253mm which takes them out of the Large Letter price band and into Packet price band which is nearly DOUBLE the price. So it may not have been the weight that caused your "under payment" but the dimensions of the envelopes.

In future I'll be more careful when buying large envelopes and make sure they are less than 353mm x250mm.

Wellies
28-Jan-08, 09:35
I have to post identical envelopes this week and will check this as well. But surely the post office would have noticed the size of the envelope. Thanks Brokencross.