PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin Supplements

karia
27-Jan-08, 20:05
Hi Folks,

I eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruit and veg and most meals made from scratch with fresh produce.

I am almost certainly getting all the vitamins and minerals I need from my food but I still take various 'supplements' daily:

Vit B complex

Vit C

Zinc

Oil of Evening Primrose

What vitamins, if any, do you take and do you feel that they make a difference to anything other than your wallet?:confused

northener
27-Jan-08, 20:31
I don't take any supplements, apart from pork scratchings.

I'm not convinced that we 'need' the majorityof supplements, I'm convinced that it is pure marketeering that leads us to believe we are deficient.

Got to ask Karia, why do you feel the need to take them?

karia
27-Jan-08, 20:42
I don't take any supplements, apart from pork scratchings.

I'm not convinced that we 'need' the majorityof supplements, I'm convinced that it is pure marketeering that leads us to believe we are deficient.

Got to ask Karia, why do you feel the need to take them?

Because at some time or other I have convinced myself that one or other of them has helped in some way and I am scared the initial 'problem' will return should I desist...probably bringing scurvy with it!:eek:

I am disgustingly healthy...why would I take that risk!:lol:

northener
27-Jan-08, 20:51
Cast aside your crutches, child!

badger
27-Jan-08, 21:06
I'm only on one a day - two types taken alternately. Like Karia I have a healthy diet but it makes me feel good just taking them, it doesn't do any harm and who knows what might happen if we stopped. Instant decline? Can't remember what the current ones are but guaranteed to maintain strong bones, healthy heart, etc. etc.

Snarfer
27-Jan-08, 21:06
Have started on the herbal teas after my wife saw them on offer and decided that we drink far too much coffee.

She got Green Tea, Lemon & Ginger Tea, Raspberry & Echinacea Tea and Peppermint & Nettle tea.

There not to bad but I still need my coffee.

karia
27-Jan-08, 21:19
Cast aside your crutches, child!

I can walk..:eek:.............thunk!

sassylass
27-Jan-08, 21:25
I take a multivitamin and calcium tablets every day, because the doctor said so ;)

Highland Laddie
27-Jan-08, 23:00
I take Omega 3 capsules every morning. (advised by Dr after heart attack.)

twiglet
27-Jan-08, 23:17
Take calcium with vitamin D, due to lifelong calcium deficiency and vit d helps absorbtion and with sad, Vit B complex cos I get occasional mood swings and sea kelp which just helps thyroid function (have been tested, all ok but low thyroid function is in the family).

htwood
28-Jan-08, 05:19
Doctor's orders: multivitamin without iron in morning, then ferrous sulfate and buffered vitamin C at 10am. In evening, 400 mg vit D, Omega-3, and a calcium/magnesium liquid.
I've always eaten a healthy diet, but just needed a bit more of a few things.

TBH
28-Jan-08, 05:28
I take Omega 3 capsules every morning. (advised by Dr after heart attack.)Are they cheaper than buying an oily fish like mackerel to eat?

exiledtoedinburgh
28-Jan-08, 13:00
I take a multivitamin plus iron every day because I've always been slightly anaemic. When I get the cold I take echinacea and vitamin C but tbh I dunno if it makes any difference or not! Probably only psychologically :)

lexie
28-Jan-08, 13:05
dont take any...I think if you have a healthy balanced diet, and have your 5 portions of fruit and veg a day... wholemeal bread, etc......all you need !

But i'm not against them...worst they can do is nothing!

Sapphire2803
28-Jan-08, 13:21
Zinc, Vit B, Vit C, Grape leaf extract :confused, Glucosamine and Cod liver oil, Evening primrose thingummy. I think that's it.
If ya shake me I'll rattle :)

Highland Laddie
28-Jan-08, 23:03
Are they cheaper than buying an oily fish like mackerel to eat?

I actually eat oily fish (mackerel, salmon & sardines ) 3 or 4 times a week, but that is not a high enough concentration, and i don't fancy eating oily fish 7 days a week, the wife already thinks there is a bit of a shark about me already.

Dusty
28-Jan-08, 23:06
I take vitamin T along with a malted barley infusion at weekends. :lol:

karia
28-Jan-08, 23:18
I take vitamin T along with a malted barley infusion at weekends. :lol:

I have heard that's a jolly effective muscle relaxant!;)

TBH
28-Jan-08, 23:26
I actually eat oily fish (mackerel, salmon & sardines ) 3 or 4 times a week, but that is not a high enough concentration, and i don't fancy eating oily fish 7 days a week, the wife already thinks there is a bit of a shark about me already.I wasn't actually sure how much omega three you would get from eating fish.

Lolabelle
29-Jan-08, 09:07
I have a cupboard full of multi vitamins and other healthfood shop tabs, fish oil, stuff to stop sugar cravings...... the list is endless, I don't take them, because I forget to, but I can't bring myself to chuck them out, they were too expensive. And having a full cupboard deters me from more impulse tablet purchases.

And, I'm sure they are helping, even from just being in the cupboard. :eek:

And when I do eat my healthy diet, gluten free and Low Carb, I feel great. [smirk]

Dusty
29-Jan-08, 09:40
I have heard that's a jolly effective muscle relaxant!;)

Indeed it is Karia. I have become exceptionally relaxed at times.
It is also very beneficial to the brain. It makes quite a noticable difference to the quantity of "Good Ideas" you have as the dosage increases. :D

Saveman
29-Jan-08, 11:41
Vit C and B complex

Vit C helps with the immune system, B complex helps with energy levels and mood. That's the theory anyway.....