PDA

View Full Version : Moving.

cuddlepop
27-Jan-08, 19:29
One of our friends has decided her additional needs daughter will have no substational improvement to her education nor will there be any "future" beyond high school living on Skye.:~(
I know exactly how she feels but in our case our own daughter has said no to a move.

What I want to know is how people who are not "local" viewed when moving to an area.
Are they viewed as another "incomer" who shouldn't be accessing local services or are they viewed as desperate people who have moved to an area because of the good services that the community can provide?:confused

paris
27-Jan-08, 19:40
We moved from Linc's to caithness a few years ago now but we couldn't of wished being excepted any more than we were. The locals were really friendly and the services were better than where we lived in Linc's BUT saying that we moved back as we have grown up family and missed them terribly. I now wish i had stayed in Caithness. Its like a rat race here and so many foreigners now ( i am not races before anyone says anything ) . My only wish is that i personally didn't feel so lonely while up there and that i had made more friends from the org. I have loads now and sitting here i feel i do still live there. Thanks all. jan x

orkneylass
27-Jan-08, 19:41
It would depend on the area. I know a family who left Orkney a few years ago for the same reason your friend on Skye has - but to a large town in Kent where nobody would have noticed. In a small rural community where everybody knows everybody, people can make judgments about incomers using local services. I would recommend moving to a city or large town if she wants to blend in without comment.

Torvaig
27-Jan-08, 19:46
Hi CP; depends on who is doing the "viewing". There are those who welcome you with open arms and do their best to help with the situation by making sure you can access all that is available to help - and then there are the others! Happily the ones who extend a welcome far outnumber those who don't. Best wishes to your friend and daughter and I hope they get somewhere that has what the young lady needs. :)

cuddlepop
27-Jan-08, 19:48
It would depend on the area. I know a family who left Orkney a few years ago for the same reason your friend on Skye has - but to a large town in Kent where nobody would have noticed. In a small rural community where everybody knows everybody, people can make judgments about incomers using local services. I would recommend moving to a city or large town if she wants to blend in without comment.
I know she's looking at the central belt because service provision is so good.

People tend to accept strange behavior when the person has grown up in the area but would "new" people.:confused

cuddlepop
27-Jan-08, 19:50
Hi CP; depends on who is doing the "viewing". There are those who welcome you with open arms and do their best to help with the situation by making sure you can access all that is available to help - and then there are the others! Happily the ones who extend a welcome far outnumber those who don't. Best wishes to your friend and daughter and I hope they get somewhere that has what the young lady needs. :)

Thank you Torvaig so do we.
It would be a crying shame if this mother just carried on till old age because no one else would.:mad:

orkneylass
27-Jan-08, 23:20
I know she's looking at the central belt because service provision is so good.

People tend to accept strange behavior when the person has grown up in the area but would "new" people.:confused

I guess it depends, but people are far less involved with one another in places like the central belt, with its cities and large towns, so if she wants a ceratin amount of anonymity it would help. It's also about whteher the right services are available there.