PDA

View Full Version : Where in Caithness?

Bananas
27-Jan-08, 18:47
Well, We’ve bought our tickets, booked our B&B and will start our house hunting in May.

Our internet hunt has been in the Wick area, that’s where we normally stay as the family history is there.

But We’d like to know where in Caithness would you say, is the best place (or not), to start looking for our retirement home?

Input most appreciated.

Whitewater
27-Jan-08, 19:05
Anywhere in Caithness is good. It will probably come down to personal/practical choice whether you want to reside in the town or country. Both Thurso and Wick are OK as are the villages.

Good luck with your House hunting.

Fran
27-Jan-08, 19:08
If you are of retirement age, I would say wick, as wick has the hospital and the airport.

percy toboggan
27-Jan-08, 19:25
Another one eh...Good luck...
I'm an outsider and only know the ins and outs I've gleaned from this forum over the last couple of years...Thurso seems a slightly more refined place than Wick. With respect to all the 'weekers' I think I might look elsewhere when the time comes - cue:sighs of relief ...my opinion on this counts for little really, I presume you know the areas fairly well already??

A few folk just scent the comparatively cheap houses and they're off!!

Whatever happened to that woman from Blackpool.... jherries or summat...did they make it up there ? I was slightly taken aback by their lack of knowledge of the area at the time.

paris
27-Jan-08, 19:29
We lived in Lybster, brilliant place to live and so friendly. jan x

Royster1911
27-Jan-08, 19:46
If you are of retirement age, I would say wick, as wick has the hospital and the airport.

I bet that has cheered them up!:Razz

Torvaig
27-Jan-08, 19:54
Depends what you want out of your new home. If you have a car, mostly anywhere in Caithness is not too far away from shops or entertainment and even if you don't have wheels, there is a decent bus service between the towns and to most country areas on the main roads.

Best to move to your B & B and just tour around yourselves to see what takes your fancy. Go and look at even unlikely houses for sale; you never know where you may find your castle! Good luck.....

cuddlepop
27-Jan-08, 20:01
Well, We’ve bought our tickets, booked our B&B and will start our house hunting in May.

Our internet hunt has been in the Wick area, that’s where we normally stay as the family history is there.

But We’d like to know where in Caithness would you say, is the best place (or not), to start looking for our retirement home?

Input most appreciated.

i think to get a real feel for a place,especially somewhere like Caithness you should really try a winter before you rush out and buy.
Skye has had lots of people move up from down south that couldn't hack a winter.
Summer can give you a distorted picture of the place.:eek:

Bobinovich
27-Jan-08, 20:01
Whatever happened to that woman from Blackpool.... jherries or summat...did they make it up there ? I was slightly taken aback by their lack of knowledge of the area at the time.

According to one of her later posts (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=269315#post269315) they were off to Ireland and I believe they moved there instead of to Caithness.

northener
27-Jan-08, 20:13
I hope that it is absolutely banging it down and windy when you start looking. If you still like what you see - you'll do well up here.

May? Hmmmmm...might not see anything if the Haar comes in:D

Good luck, nice county, nice people.

northener
27-Jan-08, 20:15
My apologies, you've already been here so will know what to expect!

Keiss, Auchengill, Freswick, Groats and Canisbay are all tops.

karia
27-Jan-08, 20:17
According to one of her later posts (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=269315#post269315) they were off to Ireland and I believe they moved there instead of to Caithness.

Thanks for that bobinovich..reminding everyone what I keep in my handbag!:roll:

I'm in recovery now..honest.;)

badger
27-Jan-08, 20:38
I would go for a village in reasonable distance from either Thurso or Wick but a lot depends on what you like to do, how much petrol you can afford :eek: , do you want to be near the sea? So many things depend on personal choice. Drive around as much as you can when you come up - and do let us know when you're here.

With due respect to Fran, I wouldn't worry about being near the airport or hospital (why would pensioners need this more than anyone else, Fran?). Unless you have a huge pension you won't be able to afford to fly from Wick and if you get a bus card you can go all the way to Inverness airport free. Presumably you're reasonably fit or you wouldn't be making such a big move. Good luck and enjoy your stay up here - well obviously you will. Who wouldn't? I first came up in a February blizzard 7 years ago - couldn't see a thing driving up, snow gates closed behind us, stayed in Wick 4 days and only got out once as was snowed in and the gates opened just in time for us to leave. We were so grateful for the warmth of Caithness Glass, sadly no longer there. It didn't put me off and we don't seem to get snow like that any more.

ywindythesecond
27-Jan-08, 20:51

Input most appreciated.

Check out the local pubs!

Boozeburglar
27-Jan-08, 20:59
Thurso seems a slightly more refined place than Wick. With respect to all the 'weekers' I think I might look elsewhere when the time comes

It is a pity you feel that way Percy.

I know both pretty well and would say Wick has a much greater sense of community.

As far as 'refinement'...

There is better architecture in the Eastern town. There is arguably more indigenous art and culture attached to Wick, it is certainly a much better location for a night out getting the crack. Wick has a greater significance in the history of the county. In that sense Wick is a truly Caithnessian town. Thurso was originally a charming, if typical, small Scottish market town, but is now smothered by little boxes made for Dounreay workers.

Naturally it depends on why you want to live in Caithness, and whether becoming part of a community is important to you. You have a choice in the towns. An old town with a strong identity and community; albeit with problems. A new town with little sense of community or identity beyond what being a remnant of the Dounreay machine engenders; where the main factor limiting social problems is relative affluence, something that cannot be guaranteed in the next ten to twenty years, never mind beyond that.

oldchemist
27-Jan-08, 21:40
You really need to have a good look around. Thurso, Wick and the villages between are OK for access and transport. The east and north coasts are great for sea views. If you are after solitude there are lots of isolated properties. You could check out some of the local estate agents (eg Georgesons) to see what is available.

ciderally
27-Jan-08, 22:03
dont know if google earth will help you have a virtual look..but enjoy yourself when you do get to caithness, its a fine place and good folks xx and yes im a weeker

TBH
27-Jan-08, 22:09
Wick has some very nice residential and nursing homes.

canuck
27-Jan-08, 23:03
Reay is a delightful little village.

twiglet
27-Jan-08, 23:33
Make a wish list as to whether you want a rural or town location, what you want to be near to and look what's out there. Get on the mailing lists for the estate agents.

Personally, I favour Thurso. Have been here a few months and it has a great sense of community and also is good for a night out. Would choose it over Wick any day. Do your homework and any place is what you make it. You can find community in any place if you look hard enough.

Good luck!

karia
27-Jan-08, 23:37
Wick has some very nice residential and nursing homes.

They are checking in..not checking out!:eek:

Riffman
28-Jan-08, 00:30
Neither wick nor thurso, horrid places. Move to Pitlochry, amazing place and far better weather all year round!

cullbucket
28-Jan-08, 02:50
Reay is a delightful little village.
And about the only one without a pub whether that appeals or not.....

TBH
28-Jan-08, 03:11
They are checking in..not checking out!:eek:Well if they decide to check out we have some wonderfuly considerate funeral parlours.

Sapphire2803
28-Jan-08, 13:16
Keiss, Auckengill, Freswick, Groats and Canisbay are all tops.

I'll second that :)

braalterr903
28-Jan-08, 14:37
hi halkirk is a nice place to stay.

Bananas
28-Jan-08, 17:49
Thanks for comments do far, guess the references to hospitals, airport and nursing homes are just in jest? Yes I have been up in winter, last September and the July before!

binbob
28-Jan-08, 18:16
i moved to halkirk in sept. and as far as i have seen..weather is no worse in caithness than anywhere else i have lived.

by the way..halkirk is super..

percy toboggan
28-Jan-08, 19:11
[quote=Boozeburglar;330422]It is a pity you feel that way Percy.

I know both pretty well and would say Wick has a much greater sense of community.

quote]

I don't think it's a pity I feel that way but thanks for giving my opinion any creedence at all - I did say it's not worth much on this matter. What you say about Wick has me thinking if I were young(er) it might be a wiser choice. Most retirees are looking for calm and quiet....and the thing about a strong sense of community is that it's usally guarded well...the community I mean...it takes a long time for any incomer to be accepted. Retirees don't have that time, in fact many are past caring whether they are accepted or not - and unless it boiled down to open hostility I think I'd fall into the 'not bothered camp'
Thanks for your thoughtful reply though BB and I repeat, I'm merely thinkin' out loud here about a subject I know little about.
It's an occasional failing I know.:roll:

Stargazer
28-Jan-08, 20:02

Input most appreciated.

Other than "family history" what is motivating you to retire to Caithness?

lynne duncan
28-Jan-08, 20:27
http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/property.php?id=981
this house has recently come on the market
round the corner from us, lovely quiet street
only 5 mins from town centre
2 mins from beautiful sea walk
welcome to wick
may you find somewhere you both are very happy with
my daughter says add a smilie face for you to enjoy

northener
28-Jan-08, 20:37
Neither wick nor thurso, horrid places. Move to Pitlochry, amazing place and far better weather all year round!

No way, Riffman.

The only thing amazing about Pitlochry is how many coachloads of grockles they manage to jam into the town:lol:

Nice countryside, but not wild enough.

golach
28-Jan-08, 20:48
No way, Riffman.

The only thing amazing about Pitlochry is how many coachloads of grockles they manage to jam into the town:lol:

Nice countryside, but not wild enough.
I tend to agree, with you Northener, but Pitlochry a a few more Distillerys in its surrounding area. :)

northener
28-Jan-08, 21:55
I tend to agree, with you Northener, but Pitlochry a a few more Distillerys in its surrounding area. :)

And the Moulin brewery knocks out some bloody good beer!

Maybe Riffman was right after all....

Bananas
29-Jan-08, 13:11
Stargazer

The family history started it all, infact in the past we have been Inverness and really could not be bothered to drive up, although it was reasonably close.

Three years ago, we did the family tracing thing, and as always with holiday locations, you feel you could live there, but its a passing phase.

Last year we came back with other family members and arriving in Wick at 10pm (after a flight delay) it felt like coming home.

The following day it was rainy and windy and the shops were closed on one of those strange monday closings and it just felt peaceful. We repeated earlier cemetary visits, to Keiss, Canisbay and Bower and the idea of moving up began to grow.

It was basically wonderful scenery, very welcoming local people and the notion that we could retire a bit earlier than expected and have a better quality of life, due in part to lower cost of housing.

There are negatives also for us such as distance from family and those have to be overcome first. But its nice to know the hospital is near when the weather tries to kill us, the airport is near for a quick escape and the nursing homes are very good. You did ask Stargazer!

munchkin
29-Jan-08, 15:19
i would say AUCKENGILL nice friendly folk hoping to sell mine :Razz

Whitewater
29-Jan-08, 16:19
Another one eh...Good luck...
I'm an outsider and only know the ins and outs I've gleaned from this forum over the last couple of years...Thurso seems a slightly more refined place than Wick. With respect to all the 'weekers' I think I might look elsewhere when the time comes - cue:sighs of relief ...my opinion on this counts for little really, I presume you know the areas fairly well already??

Percy topoggan I was born and brought up in Thurso, loved the place and still do, have family and friends living there. However, in my early twenties, which occured in the early 1960s, I left this old country for a few years and on my return I found that Thurso had changed completely due to the influx of all the workers for Dounreay, it developed a different outlook on things and I thought that many of the old values I had held were disappearing. I got courting and married a Wicker. During my courting days I found that Wick was more like the Thurso I had left rather than the one I returned home to. When we eventually got married I had no hesitation in getting a house in Wick, houses were also available in Thurso, my wife didn't mind either way so the decision was made to live in Wick and I have lived here happily ever since.

That of course is just my opinion, now I always gurn when I have to park in down town Thurso, I always find a great lack of parking space compared with Wick.

At the end of the day it becomes a choice of what you want from your area rather than the particular place itself, simply because one is really as good as the other.

percy toboggan
29-Jan-08, 18:16
I bow to your lengthy first hand knowledge Whitewater.
Respect.

Stargazer
29-Jan-08, 21:58
Stargazer

The family history started it all, infact in the past we have been Inverness and really could not be bothered to drive up, although it was reasonably close.

Three years ago, we did the family tracing thing, and as always with holiday locations, you feel you could live there, but its a passing phase.

Last year we came back with other family members and arriving in Wick at 10pm (after a flight delay) it felt like coming home.

The following day it was rainy and windy and the shops were closed on one of those strange monday closings and it just felt peaceful. We repeated earlier cemetary visits, to Keiss, Canisbay and Bower and the idea of moving up began to grow.

It was basically wonderful scenery, very welcoming local people and the notion that we could retire a bit earlier than expected and have a better quality of life, due in part to lower cost of housing.

There are negatives also for us such as distance from family and those have to be overcome first. But its nice to know the hospital is near when the weather tries to kill us, the airport is near for a quick escape and the nursing homes are very good. You did ask Stargazer!

Hi Bananas

I've left Caithness three times (the call of the North Sea) and moved here four times. So Caithness is where I've decided is the best place. I've lived on the east coast and now Halkirk. I've liked them all. Its a safe place for kids to grow up, and there is plenty of small communities that are very active. Where to live, that's a hard one. Post a list of things that are important or enjoy then we can narrow it down. Sea views, country, village, town, bus routes?

Bananas
01-Feb-08, 18:17
Well stargazer, that got us thinking, the criteria would be. Edge of town or no more than five miles out. Not too remote. Would like a view of the sea, within easy reach of doctors, dentist (yes I read the other threads), vets? and a post office (for the occasssional ebay posting). Our needs are simple!

Fran
02-Feb-08, 04:35
wick, Ackergill or Keiss would be good for you as all have seaviews and near to the town for shops, rail, airport (caithness people get air discounts by the way)Tesco,co-op,somerfield and other shops,the vet in wick and the doctors.I moved up here nearly 30 years and lived in thurso before moving to wick.

Stargazer
02-Feb-08, 16:18
Well stargazer, that got us thinking, the criteria would be. Edge of town or no more than five miles out. Not too remote. Would like a view of the sea, within easy reach of doctors, dentist (yes I read the other threads), vets? and a post office (for the occasssional ebay posting). Our needs are simple!

Except for a sea view Halkirk meets your criteria. It's five miles from Thurso + vet. Has a Post office and medical centre. Plus two hotels, shop and an active community.

It take 10/15 minutes drive to Dunnet beach.

nanoo
02-Feb-08, 18:11
We moved up here from central Scotland 17 years ago, My husbands work brought us to Wick, Can i point out that the weather up here is just the same as where we came from, i think the only difference would be, wind, it's much windier here. Can i say also, that i like Thurso as well, it's just that we like Wick better. We could have moved away again when my husband retired but the town is so friendly and the weekers make you feel welcome in their community. Thurso, i think is much more cosmopolitan and that's what we left behind. Wick is much more suited to us.;) However, each to his/her own.:roll:

bop
02-Feb-08, 18:19
i have been up here 4yrs now and love it. i spent a few weeks 'touring the county' when i 1st came n have found so many nice little villages. dont think i would ever move bk down south!!!
im sure wherever you move to you'll enjoy!!!

tenabowla
02-Feb-08, 19:46
There is a lot to be said for Thurso, no depressing sights, and we don't need a court room on the east side of the county.

northener
02-Feb-08, 20:21
There is a lot to be said for Thurso, no depressing sights, and we don't need a court room on the east side of the county.

Nope, you're absolutely right. Because all the miscreants in Thurso are made to go to the County town of Wick to appear in court;)

karia
02-Feb-08, 20:24
Nope, you're absolutely right. Because all the miscreants in Thurso are made to go to the County town of Wick to appear in court;)

Where the fast food and wi fi are!;)