PDA

View Full Version : M.O.T question

northener
27-Jan-08, 18:26
What's the earliest date you can MOT a car before the due date?

lazytown
27-Jan-08, 18:32
An MOT can be carried out at any time

If the vehicle is tested within the calendar month prior to when the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate. For example, if the current certificate was due to expire on 1 April 2007, and the vehicle was presented on or after 2 March 2007, the certificate would run from the test date until 1 April 2008.
The same rule would also apply when the vehicle is taken in within a calendar month of its first MOT. In this case, the vehicle owner would need to present their registration document.

If the vehicle is tested earlier than one month before its due date, the MOT will only run for twelve months.

highlander2222
27-Jan-08, 18:32
I believe it is 1 month

johno
27-Jan-08, 19:35
I believe it is 1 month
that is to give you a 13 month mot.
but say you were buying a car with perhaps5, 6,7 or 8 months left you can still have it mot,d with a new certificate for peace of mind.

northener
27-Jan-08, 20:07
Cheers, guys.

EDDIE
27-Jan-08, 23:42
that is to give you a 13 month mot.
but say you were buying a car with perhaps5, 6,7 or 8 months left you can still have it mot,d with a new certificate for peace of mind.

Yes u can mot a car anytime but if ure wanting total peace of mind get the car checked out before u buy it if its only got 5 months left on a mot is there a reason for selling the car before it needs mot work done?

johno
28-Jan-08, 23:03
Yes u can mot a car anytime but if ure wanting total peace of mind get the car checked out before u buy it if its only got 5 months left on a mot is there a reason for selling the car before it needs mot work done?
Not necessarily Eddy, someone may be selling , as he / she has bought or is buying another car & the right vehicle just came on the market.
I myself would,nt dream of selling a car without a full mot just as i would,nt buy without the full mot. but on saying that an mot isnt a gaurantee of worthy-ness. so unless you know a good bit about car,s always get a mechanic to check it out first. it,s your money & there,s always another one around the corner.. alway,s

EDDIE
28-Jan-08, 23:56
well if there is one thing i have learnt over the years is never sell or buy a car of a friend because if anything goes wrong with the car it can cause ill feeling