PDA

View Full Version : seat belts

sphinx
27-Jan-08, 14:09
woz out and a bout on thursday when i got pulled over for not wearing a seat belt yeah i know its the law but from time to time we do forget any way got fined 30 quid. but instead off pulling the poor motorist over u would think they would have better things to do!!!!!!! way there time ehh!!! :(

Ash
27-Jan-08, 14:12
hardly! what you were doing was against the law, belt up!

percy toboggan
27-Jan-08, 14:15
I partly agree, espeically about the use of police time - we motorists are little more than a cash cow.

However, I would never contemplate driving anywhere without a belt...unusually I also wear them in the truck (it is law, if they are fitted)....I do not feel 'right' if I don't belt up. I well remember the pre-compulsion days and didn't like being dictated to one bit....I can definitely see the sense in seat belts though as with crash helmets....I'm still thinking it should be down to personal choice...or not. Can't quite get my head around it <no pun>

WeeBurd
27-Jan-08, 14:18
woz out and a bout on thursday when i got pulled over for not wearing a seat belt yeah i know its the law but from time to time we do forget any way got fined 30 quid. but instead off pulling the poor motorist over u would think they would have better things to do!!!!!!! way there time ehh!!! :(

No sympathy, Sphinx.

I'm sure they'd prefer to be pulling you over for not wearing a seatbelt, than having to make the difficult visit to your family home to tell them you've been involved in an accident, and due to your lack of seatbelt, it was fatal.

Extreme I know, but very possible, and so easily avoided by wearing your belt...[disgust]

sphinx
27-Jan-08, 14:19
yeah i total agree way belting up but like u said the motorist is always getting it and paying the price to

northener
27-Jan-08, 14:22
No sympathy, Sphinx.

I'm sure they'd prefer to be pulling you over for not wearing a seatbelt, than having to make the difficult visit to your family home to tell them you've been involved in an accident, and due to your lack of seatbelt, it was fatal.

Extreme I know, but very possible, and so easily avoided by wearing your belt...[disgust]

Hit the nail on the head, girl. I'm all for freedom of choice, but not when it means other people have to scrape up what's left off the road.

I used to be anti-helmet until I had a particularly bad spill and had the chinguard of my full-face completely smashed. I shudder to think what the consequences of no helmet would have been......

northener
27-Jan-08, 14:24
yeah i total agree way belting up but like u said the motorist is always getting it and paying the price to

Come on Sphinx, you can't agree with a law and then complain when you get punished for non-compliance!

Unless you think the law doesn't apply to you;)

Ash
27-Jan-08, 14:25
dont get why u would want to put your life at risk like that

Flair
27-Jan-08, 15:51
dont get why u would want to put your life at risk like that

Well, staring death in the face can be difficult to turn away from for some people once they've had their first taste. :roll:

newpark
27-Jan-08, 15:56
If we all abided by the law the police wouldnt need to waste time stopping us for stupid things like not wearing our seat belts. Maybe we should all realise it's our own fault the police have so much time wasted on petty crimes cause we keep commiting them.

northener
27-Jan-08, 16:26
If we all abided by the law the police wouldnt need to waste time stopping us for stupid things like not wearing our seat belts. Maybe we should all realise it's our own fault the police have so much time wasted on petty crimes cause we keep commiting them.

Absolutely.

What's the old saying?

"A thief is not sorry that he is a thief, he is sorry that he has been caught"

unicorn
27-Jan-08, 16:31
so are you one of these that also thinks it's ok to use your mobile while driving, or just have a couple of pints. or many other things that can lead to serious accidents that will not only affect you but the ones who have to pick up the pieces of the mess your decision created.

miranda
27-Jan-08, 16:37
No sympathy, Sphinx.

i second that weeburd a shunt from behind and he could have been through the windscreen .. perish the thought over something as easily solved by wearing a seatbelt:mad:

trix
27-Jan-08, 16:45
aye sphinx, yer no getin a lot o support on 'iss one....

let it be a lesson til ye :Razz

Flair
27-Jan-08, 17:08
aye sphinx, yer no getin a lot o support on 'iss one....

let it be a lesson til ye :Razz

No, doesn't look like it. This is a job for... some kind of person who will lend support but since there are none around... I guess... I'll have to do it.

I'll admit that what Sphinx did was illegal but I don't see what everyone is getting so bent out of shape over. What's done is done. I'm sure Sphinx learned the lesson when he/she was pulled over, it's not like throwing moral lectures at Sphinx will put time back so he/she can rethink the decision.

Nobody is perfect so these things happen and they'll probably continue to happen in at least one place in the world, no matter how much you drill warnings into their heads.

I'm not supporting what Sphinx did but I think we should just lay off of him/her a bit.

P.S. Sorry about the use of both gender words, but I don't know anyone on here anymore so I thought I'd be on the safe side.

northener
27-Jan-08, 17:20
No, doesn't look like it. This is a job for... some kind of person who will lend support but since there are none around... I guess... I'll have to do it.

I'll admit that what Sphinx did was illegal but I don't see what everyone is getting so bent out of shape over. What's done is done. I'm sure Sphinx learned the lesson when he/she was pulled over, it's not like throwing moral lectures at Sphinx will put time back so he/she can rethink the decision.

Nobody is perfect so these things happen and they'll probably continue to happen in at least one place in the world, no matter how much you drill warnings into their heads.

I'm not supporting what Sphinx did but I think we should just lay off of him/her a bit.

P.S. Sorry about the use of both gender words, but I don't know anyone on here anymore so I thought I'd be on the safe side.

Disagree, Flair.

If you don't want to invite comment - don't post!

I really don't think anyone is going overboard with their comments, it's not lecturing, it's discussion.

Flair
27-Jan-08, 17:25
Disagree, Flair.

If you don't want to invite comment - don't post!

I really don't think anyone is going overboard with their comments, it's not lecturing, it's discussion.

Alright, Alright. Keep your hair on.

NickInTheNorth
27-Jan-08, 17:25
Lets face it a large part of the reason why they like to pull folks for minor traffic offences is that it does wonders for the crime stats.

If you are seen driving without a seat belt that goes down as one crime and one cleared up, so the stats are good.

If a thieving little scum bag decides to steal something - even of very minor value it goes down as a crime, and chances of detection without some work are slim, so statistically the police are far better off pulling motorists for minor offences as it makes the force look better on the league tables.

Sad but true.

northener
27-Jan-08, 17:31
Alright, Alright. Keep your hair on.

Ouch! No offence intended, Flair.

The point of the responses was that Sphinx admitted the fault, but then said that motorists were 'copping for it' (my words).

Something like that will draw responses, surely that's the point of posting? It doesn't mean that anyone is ganging up on anyone.

I'm off to sulk in a corner now as you've snapped at me and I'm all sad:~(:D

northener
27-Jan-08, 17:33
Lets face it a large part of the reason why they like to pull folks for minor traffic offences is that it does wonders for the crime stats.

If you are seen driving without a seat belt that goes down as one crime and one cleared up, so the stats are good.

If a thieving little scum bag decides to steal something - even of very minor value it goes down as a crime, and chances of detection without some work are slim, so statistically the police are far better off pulling motorists for minor offences as it makes the force look better on the league tables.

Sad but true.

Fair comment Nick, but - If you can't do the time...........

trix
27-Jan-08, 17:42

are ye kiddin?? cum off yer pedistal

'e law is black or white am afraid, he broke it.....

someone could o' bin killed, if no himsel then someone else.

i happen til ken his kin an til tell ye 'e truth....its a kick in 'e behind he's needin!

not one o' us is immortal

DINA DO IT AGAIN SPHINX !!! :Razz:lol:

Bananas
27-Jan-08, 18:01
My daugher was pulled from a wreck last Thursday, without the seatbelt she would no longer have been with us. Don't wear it if it suits you but you may just pay ther price!

Buttercup
27-Jan-08, 18:17

You broke the law ~ which makes you a criminal.
The police are employed to catch criminals ~ which is what they were doing. Where's the problem? Or do you think that your crime is unimportant? Or that you should be exempt from prosecution? As for forgetting :roll: ~ it's been law for a fair while now, so either you don't travel by car very often or you just didn't bother to use the belt.

bekisman
27-Jan-08, 18:38
The only one with a seatbelt on in Princess Di's vehicle was the bodyguard (he's still alive)

badger
27-Jan-08, 21:14
Sphinx - instead of moaning you should be grateful someone was around who maybe saved your life, if not on that journey then on some future one when hopefully you won't "forget" again.

oldchemist
27-Jan-08, 21:35
Tough - it is breaking the law and you must accept the penalty.

quiteone
27-Jan-08, 23:32
BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY!!!!!!!! ![mad]

Torvaig
27-Jan-08, 23:39

Yes, they certainly have better things to do and if motorists all stayed within the law the police would not have to be out and about trying to stop them killing each other with speed, drinking and driving, not wearing seatbelts, talking on the phone and generally taking their own and others lives for granted!

Then they have to go back to the office and fill in forms etc., and then and only then they may be able to get on with the rest of their jobs! Let's face it; it is the general public who don't think they are breaking the law who take up most of their time and they are the ones doing most of the moaning about how hopeless they are at their jobs and "picking on the poor motorist".

Poor motorists; they get away with murder.......

ywindythesecond
28-Jan-08, 01:43

Sphinx posted the complaint. She?/he? presumably wanted sympathy. Didn't get it. Stop feeling sorry for someone who who breaks the law. I have no doubt that if the policeman who stopped her/him had a choice at that moment between charging her/him and chasing a mugger, he (possibly she) would have gone for the mugger.

TBH
28-Jan-08, 03:29
You broke the law sphinx, pay the fine then get yourself a box of Kleenex and dry your eyes. I also believe that drunk drivers should have their licences revoked permanently with no exceptions.

Flair
28-Jan-08, 13:57
Stop feeling sorry for someone who who breaks the law.

I didn't say I felt sorry for him. Burn his licence, crush his car, lock him up and throw away the key for all I care. But I think he'll have gotten the message by now.

I don't have a problem with discussion, but to me, getting in his face about the law and telling him that he deserved everything he got isn't a discussion, it's just shouting at him.

MadPict
28-Jan-08, 14:21
Being £30 lighter now I am sure Sphinx will ensure they "clunk click every trip".

While they 'broke the law' the penalty is a non-endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice so hardly grounds to call their offence a crime. I think it falls under casualty reduction now.

mums angels
28-Jan-08, 18:26
I have a terrible habit of sometimes not putting my belt on for the first couple of mins after i start driving :( however i would never have the kids in the car without the proper restraints etc .

As for the police they really should lead by example , i've seen police officers without seatbelts but last week i was appalled to see the police jeep outside co-op car park picking up a woman, toddler and her pram put all in the car then drive off without the lady wearing a seatbelt and with her toddler on her knee ... if no car seat was available the child should have been put on the seat with a seatbelt at the very least .

Bananas
28-Jan-08, 19:00
Slightly off topic, but last year I was a passenger in my wifes car and as the seat belt cut in around the shoulder, I'd held it away by an inch or so - long and short of it was we were pulled over and I was accussed of not wearing a seat belt which I was! (but I was not wearing it properly - lesson learnt)

Those that do not weat the belt priovided and make fun of the law really are rather stupid, sometimes wisdom comes with maturity I guess?

karia
28-Jan-08, 19:05
Slightly off topic, but last year I was a passenger in my wifes car and as the seat belt cut in around the shoulder, I'd held it away by an inch or so - long and short of it was we were pulled over and I was accussed of not wearing a seat belt which I was! (but I was not wearing it properly - lesson learnt)

That is very interesting Bananas..I know some women who hold the seatbelt like that for fear of crushing their clothes.:roll:

Presumably getting their heads crushed is a fashion faux pas they're prepared to risk.:confused

grumpyhippo
28-Jan-08, 19:38
This is a joke but I think it fits the general drift of this thread.....

A London lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Glasgow copper.

He thinks that he is smarter than the cop because he is a lawyer from LONDON and is certain that he has a better education then any Jock cop. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the Glasgow cops expense!!

Glasgow cop says, " Licence and registration, please"

London Lawyer says, "What for?"

Glasgow cop says, "Ye didnae come to a complete stop at the stop sign"

London Lawyer says, "I slowed down, and no one was coming"

Glasgow cop says "Ye still didnae come to a complete stop. Licence and registration, please"

London Lawyer says, "What's the difference?"

Glasgow cop says, "The difference is, ye huvte to come to complete stop, that's the law, Licence and registration, please!"

London Lawyer says, 'If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I'll give you my licence and registration, and you give me the ticket. If not, you let me go and don't give me the ticket.'

Glasgow cop says "Sounds fair. Exit your vehicle, sir"

The London Lawyer exits his vehicle.

The Glasgow cop takes out his baton and starts beating the **** out of the lawyer and says "Dae ye want me to stop, or just slow doon?"

northener
28-Jan-08, 20:32
Now that's proper policing:lol:

rockchick
28-Jan-08, 20:44

You're lucky you got away with a 30 quid fine. If you'd been in an accident (or an incident, as they call them now) you might have had to shell out for a coffin, which would have set your family back a bit more than a mere £30.

Don't be daft - belt up next time.

roblovesplastic
28-Jan-08, 20:53
but the last time before that a seat belt did the trick, oh and the time before that.

Having crashed twice now I would say if you are stupid enough not to wear a seat belt you deserve whatever the last thing is that goes through your head, probably the steering wheel.

[evil]

sphinx
28-Jan-08, 23:08
ok done the crime payed the fine!!!!!! thanks for all views woz peeved at the that time that the police had nothing better to do at the with there time.
normal do belt up it woz just a one off incident and thankfully no one woz hurt bar the ear bashing i got fae a wife and ye lot:(
promise wont do it again!!!!!

Thumper
28-Jan-08, 23:56
sphinx,if it makes you feel any better when I was married my hubby got a speeding ticket(different I know) he got me to go pay it for him..£60 which I dutifully did then I took another £60 and spent it on clothes...well if he could waste money so could I ;) x

hobbes1962
29-Jan-08, 12:19
As for the police they really should lead by example , i've seen police officers without seatbelts but last week i was appalled to see the police jeep outside co-op car park picking up a woman, toddler and her pram put all in the car then drive off without the lady wearing a seatbelt and with her toddler on her knee ... if no car seat was available the child should have been put on the seat with a seatbelt at the very least .

If you're that appalled why don't you complain to the police about what you saw?

mums angels
29-Jan-08, 13:24
If you're that appalled why don't you complain to the police about what you saw?

(deleted) ...... did i say i didn't complain ??????

hobbes1962
29-Jan-08, 13:58
(deleted) ...... did i say i didn't complain ??????

And what response did they give?

Flair
29-Jan-08, 14:02
And what response did they give?

I'll hazard a guess at "We'll get someone to look into it."

northener
29-Jan-08, 20:16
That is very interesting Bananas..I know some women who hold the seatbelt like that for fear of crushing their clothes.:roll:

Presumably getting their heads crushed is a fashion faux pas they're prepared to risk.:confused

When I was teaching I used to get a lot of the girls pulling the seatbelt off their shoulder to a position lower down.

It tended to be when they were wearing a lower cut top in summer. The belt chafed on their neck/shoulder and they didn't like it.

A quick discussion about the likely result of their face pivoting forward to smack into the dash or steering wheel usually cured them straight away......

Blazing Sporrans
30-Jan-08, 13:57
I watched a good programme on Police crash scene investigators last night late on ITV.

Oddly enough, the 17 year old lassie who was featured in the 'Overturning Car' scenario sadly died as a result of her injuries - and apparently wasn't wearing her seatbelt!

I've been driving for over 20 years now and putting the seatbelt on is second nature, so the "sometimes forget" excuse doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. Older generations who were driving in the era before they were compulsory might have exercised that excuse with good reason, however the youth of today have no excuse and it's that same machismo that is responsible for a disproportionate number of 17-25 year old fatalities in road traffic accidents every year IMHO.

danc1ngwitch
01-Feb-08, 20:21
[lol]..........

roblovesplastic
01-Feb-08, 20:37
I watched a good programme on Police crash scene investigators last night late on ITV.

Oddly enough, the 17 year old lassie who was featured in the 'Overturning Car' scenario sadly died as a result of her injuries - and apparently wasn't wearing her seatbelt!

I've been driving for over 20 years now and putting the seatbelt on is second nature, so the "sometimes forget" excuse doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. Older generations who were driving in the era before they were compulsory might have exercised that excuse with good reason, however the youth of today have no excuse and it's that same machismo that is responsible for a disproportionate number of 17-25 year old fatalities in road traffic accidents every year IMHO.

well into elderly men and women who are also being dangerous on the road, anyway, different argument. soz.

johno
01-Feb-08, 23:02
Sphinx, I sympathize with you, do it often enough myself ,but like the guy said as he went through the windscreen , dammit i forgot to put my seatbelt on.??

badger
02-Feb-08, 13:29
I have a terrible habit of sometimes not putting my belt on for the first couple of mins after i start driving :( however i would never have the kids in the car without the proper restraints etc .

Please don't drive without your belt - a couple of minutes is quite enough to have an accident and what would your children do without you? Just picture the scene - you with your head through the windscreen and your traumatised children safely belted in - it's not worth it. Stick a big note on your steering wheel until belting up before you drive becomes a good habit.

rupert
02-Feb-08, 23:05
Many, many moons ago when I was a teenager I was a passenger in a car that was involved in a crash. It was long before the seat belt law came in and so as a stupid kid I wasn't wearing mine. Luckily we weren't going very fast, probably about 40mph but as we came round a bend an idiot was backing out onto the road and although the driver of the car I was in took avoiding action we still crashed into the other car. I did put my head through the windscreen. I just had time to turn my head slightly so just the right side of my face took the impact on the screen. I wasn't knocked out and it never hurt at all (must have been the shock) but my face was cut really badly in numerous places, including severing right through my bottom lip. I had to have numerous stitches and to this day still carry the scars, although they are not anywhere near as bad as they were. Everyone, please, please put your seatbelts on and never have to go through what I did!! (Sorry about the gory story but its absolutely true).

Betty
03-Feb-08, 03:21
Our son put himself in a situation where a seat belt was not available (in the area behind the back seat of an SUV). In addition, three of the other passengers in the vehicle chose not to wear their seat belt. An accident occurred. Our son was killed.
Seat belts save lives. Please, buckle up.

Metalattakk
03-Feb-08, 04:00
A sad, sad chain of events, Betty. :cry:

The trouble is, people will insist on the 'Och, it'll never happen to me' scenario, no matter how many times they are told. I doubt there's much we can do except continue the educational fight.

Lolabelle
03-Feb-08, 08:06

A lady that used to live down the road from us was always one for not wearing her seat belt, while driving slowly down a country dirt road, fell out and was killed, her door wasn't shut properly (she was a passenger). Also Dave's ex wife was thrown through the windscreen in an accident. So if the fear of a fine makes people wear a seat belt, bring it on.
I have been booked for driving without a seatbelt and for talking on the phone! The seat belt was a silly mistake, I parked, went to get out and decided to park around the corner as a closer parking space became available. As for the phone, my blue tooth was in the other car and I forgot and just answered the phone, whilst pulled up at the lights next to a police car!!!!! :eek:

northener
03-Feb-08, 17:03
The simple addition of iron spikes fitted to the dashboard with the pointy bit a few inches away from the occupants' chest will increase the chances of said occupant using the seatbelt....

sphinx
04-Feb-08, 21:27
yup learnt ma lesson..........:roll: