PDA

View Full Version : Snow.

TRUCKER
27-Jan-08, 13:18
I see that by the forecast we will get some snow this week. Anymore info tugmistress.

Tugmistress
27-Jan-08, 16:50
The charts i use are just coming out, give it another wee while and i will have a look for you :)

Tugmistress
28-Jan-08, 00:23
ok, there's a small chance of snow overnight tuesday, but as you know it has been warm and anything that may fall will quickly melt.
at the moment there is a chance of a dumping over the weekend, but as you know that is a long time away especially in 'snow terms' so don't hold your breath yet, i'll update you nearer the time though it will be cold i reckon!

changilass
28-Jan-08, 00:30
lol Tuggs, take it 'dumping' is a very technical term :lol:

please pass me a tissue please my eyes are streaming with laughing

Tugmistress
28-Jan-08, 00:50
lol Tuggs, take it 'dumping' is a very technical term :lol:

please pass me a tissue please my eyes are streaming with laughing

lmao ok so i never profess to be 'professional' in any way but i am glad i can at least give you a good laugh as well as a fair idea :D

embow
28-Jan-08, 08:08
Maybe a smidgen at low level on Thursday night through to Friday. Wind away round to the north/north-west by then. Temp forecast to drop to around 1C.
Dinnae haud yer breath tho'!

peedie man
28-Jan-08, 18:29
FRIDAY 1st: Severe gale to storm force N’ly winds backing NW’ly overnight bringing frequent and heavy snow showers. With temperatures near freezing drifting of lying snow is likely, even at low levels. Disruption to travel should be expected.
SATURDAY 2nd – SUNDAY 3rd: Probably remaining cold with the risk of further significant accumulations of lying snow – particularly on Saturday, when travel may again be affected. However gale-force NW’ly winds should ease and could fall light at times.

Tugmistress
28-Jan-08, 21:16
Still looking like a good dumping ( sticking my neck out here and at the moment it's looking like about 12") over the weekend for us at the moment, high winds friday early hours (maybe gusting 80mph though that could change) the colder upper air temp is looking even more pronounced so make sure your antifreeze is well topped up in cars, it's liable to not get above 0c for a lot of the weekend including friday.
as usual i'll keep you updated if you want me to after the charts come out again tomorrow.

Big G
28-Jan-08, 21:29
Why does snow always come at the weekend - make it a school day then we'll get a day off!l! :DYEAH!!

canuck
28-Jan-08, 21:53
I've still got that snow shovel handy.

Riffman
28-Jan-08, 22:03
At last! I have been waiting for some decent snow! Only got stuck in once last year in Pitlochry, and now I am in caithness its gone all warm again....

Met office are being their usual pessimistic selves, rain rain rain snow rain gales rain.....

catnip
28-Jan-08, 22:25
There is definately something cold comming. My scar really nipping and that is always a sign plus cat going a bit loopy which is a sign also (wind in her tail)

TRUCKER
29-Jan-08, 08:23
Yes keep us updated plz.

superted
29-Jan-08, 08:44
There is definately something cold comming. My scar really nipping and that is always a sign plus cat going a bit loopy which is a sign also (wind in her tail)

Are you Harry Potter? lol:lol:

Lolabelle
29-Jan-08, 09:00
Well you lot, I expect some lovely photo's of snow on here next week. :Razz

Saveman
29-Jan-08, 11:43
Wow.....Friday and Saturday looking good! Or bad, depending if you like snow or not. Drive carefully everyone!

Andrew C
29-Jan-08, 11:50
Seeing as its looking like snow.....who can tell this newcomer the best place to take one's children sledging??

superted
29-Jan-08, 12:13
Seeing as its looking like snow.....who can tell this newcomer the best place to take one's children sledging??

I used to sledge at the riverside by the cannon....good days:lol:

Andrew C
29-Jan-08, 12:15
I used to sledge at the riverside by the cannon....good days:lol:
Is that Thurso or Wick? I'm in Wick but can travel :)

superted
29-Jan-08, 12:20
In wick...and if your keen walk up the river to fairys hill...good sledging there too..

Tugmistress
29-Jan-08, 17:46
update using the 12z charts today (seem to be most reliable for up here) ...

where do i start? ok, bear with me on my ramblings, there's a lot going on as i am looking at thursday, friday and saturday

Please note, anything can happen with the weather as we all know, i am not infallible but i try my best!

Thursday ;
wind, starting off with a stiff S/W breeze (30mph gusts) swinging to the N/W by about 6am but maybe easing a wee bit, then swinging again to a WSW by about lunch time and stiffening, by 6pm it will be back in the N/W direction and blowing a blooming hooly! tie down your trampolines, washing lines, feeders in fields etc, at the moment looking like gusting to about 90mph! this is carrying on through to midnight at least!
anything falling out of the sky on thursday will be wet not white :(
temps starting at about 3c dropping down to about -1c or colder by midnight ....... wind chill in the higher winds will make it feel like about -10c so get yer woolly knickers out :D

Friday ;
wind, easing to gusts of about 50mph but swung further round to the north by 6am ish and throughout the rest of the day dropping away to about 20mph gusts again swinging back to the N/W
Anything falling out of the sky will be snow after about 6am .... I don't know how much! but with the wind there will be drifting and HAZARDOUS driving conditions
temps may well not get above 0c all day! CHECK your antifreeze in vehicles, tyre pressures, or go into hibernation for a while! Never mind the woolly knickers, put them on and stuff a hot water bottle down them aswell LMAO

Saturday ;
wind, easing off throughout the day to virtually nothing from a N/W to a W direction.
Anything falling from the sky will be snow right through the day.
temp will start to rise near to midnight, maybe up to about 2 or 3c

shan't go any further as even at this range what i have written is liable to change, though the closer the forecast is for the more liable it is to be right. this is just my interpretation of the charts that are for public use that i find most reliable for up here, up to friday is about 90% sure of what will happen, saturday is more like 70% being a day further and 4 runs of charts away so i ain't even going to approach sunday yet!

highlander
29-Jan-08, 18:59
OMG!!!Tuggs 90mph!!! ok Group Hug everyone, its going to be a rough ride,must remember to tie elastic rope to hens lol

Andrew C
29-Jan-08, 19:10
I know how unreliable the BBC reports for this area are, but they agree with you Tugs apart from the fact they don't see a problem with wind. That could be quite a crucial bit to be missing out, if they've missed it!

This is what the Met Office had to say: The Met Office is forecasting much colder conditions to spread southwards across the UK during Friday and persisting into Saturday giving heavy snow in places. Areas most at risk include northern and western Scotland, Northern Ireland, along with parts of northwest England and Wales where 10cm of snow could occur locally with up to 20cm on higher ground. Disruption to transport is likely and the public are advised to take extra care. This warning will be updated around 1200 Wednesday 30th January 2008.

Time to get the thermals on and the snow chains back out folks!

NickInTheNorth
29-Jan-08, 19:11
OMG!!!Tuggs 90mph!!! ok Group Hug everyone, its going to be a rough ride,must remember to tie elastic rope to hens lol

Nah, elastic ropes no good. You need to use plastic cable ties to fasten them to their favourite perch :)

highlander
29-Jan-08, 19:28
Thats a better idea Nickinthenorth, or i will be running about like a headless chicken trying to catch them lol, ok so what do you suggest for the cows lol
moo-rope LOL

ciderally
29-Jan-08, 19:43
have fun in the snow folks xxxx

Tugmistress
29-Jan-08, 19:54
I know how unreliable the BBC reports for this area are, but they agree with you Tugs apart from the fact they don't see a problem with wind. That could be quite a crucial bit to be missing out, if they've missed it!

This is what the Met Office had to say: The Met Office is forecasting much colder conditions to spread southwards across the UK during Friday and persisting into Saturday giving heavy snow in places. Areas most at risk include northern and western Scotland, Northern Ireland, along with parts of northwest England and Wales where 10cm of snow could occur locally with up to 20cm on higher ground. Disruption to transport is likely and the public are advised to take extra care. This warning will be updated around 1200 Wednesday 30th January 2008.

Time to get the thermals on and the snow chains back out folks!

Look back a bit andrew, the times i am on about is 6pm to 6am overnight thursday into friday, this is the chart i am looking at at 6pm thursday

(it will change when it updates)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn541.png

Tighsonas4
29-Jan-08, 21:27
The charts i use are just coming out, give it another wee while and i will have a look for you :)
hi tuggs what is your wind forecast wind speed and direction for pm thur
thinking of orkney ferry thur night???regards tony

Tilter
29-Jan-08, 21:31
Tugmistress,
Hmm - should I be thinking twice about getting the 7:00 a.m. train from Thurso down to Forres on Friday then? Give us a quick post Thursday evening if poss. I'd rather rely on you than the Beeb.

Thumper
29-Jan-08, 21:40
Thursday ;
wind, starting off with a stiff S/W breeze (30mph gusts) swinging to the N/W by about 6am but maybe easing a wee bit, then swinging again to a WSW by about lunch time and stiffening, by 6pm it will be back in the N/W direction and blowing a blooming hooly! tie down your trampolines, washing lines, feeders in fields etc, at the moment looking like gusting to about 90mph! this is carrying on through to midnight at least!
anything falling out of the sky on thursday will be wet not white
temps starting at about 3c dropping down to about -1c or colder by midnight ....... wind chill in the higher winds will make it feel like about -10c so get yer woolly knickers out

Tony...by the looks of things you wont need to catch the ferry...just stand at the end of the pier with a loose jacket on [lol] :eek: x

Andrew C
31-Jan-08, 15:20
Any update on your predictions of the snow tugs? Is it still looking as much?

Tighsonas4
31-Jan-08, 20:24
Thursday ;
anything falling out of the sky on thursday will be wet not white
temps starting at about 3c dropping down to about -1c or colder by midnight ....... wind chill in the higher winds will make it feel like about -10c so get yer woolly knickers out

Tony...by the looks of things you wont need to catch the ferry...just stand at the end of the pier with a loose jacket on [lol] :eek: x
ferry made it tonight after all even if it took 2 and a half hours to do it