PDA

View Full Version : M.o.T. test due....

percy toboggan
27-Jan-08, 09:52
Yes, it's that time of year again when one girds ones financial loins in anticipation of a shock to the household monetary system.

My fourteen year old car is in for it's annual test next weekend.

She's in pretty good nick but at that age un-noticed defects can occur in several regions. Only 53k on the clock and she runs like a dream - the Germans built them well in the mid-nineties. However, we shall see....last year found no faults at all and the three hundred knicker I'd kept on one side just seemed to melt away - I cannot even remember what I spent it on at this distance, probably something fairly frivolous.

So, I'm at the mercy of the mechanic....have you had any unexpected mega-bills following the annual test....? I suppose I'll have to replace the car one day - for a newer model - certainly as I approach retirement in 2016 but if I get a good result next week I'll hang on for long time yet.

The low mileage was due to the first owner (11 years) doing very little with the motor except having it serviced! I always lok for low mileage cars although it's never a 100% sign that they are any good.

Tugmistress
27-Jan-08, 10:07
not for it's MOT, but i needed a new back axle for mine last year, looked round breakers yards, cheapest to get up here inc delivery was over £300, went on ebay and got one for £80 and got it couriered up, so saved me a small fortune thankfully. other work was needing done too for it's MOT about the same time, total cost about £500.

EDDIE
27-Jan-08, 10:32
When buying a car low milage is a bonus but im a great believer in you either get a good car or u get a total lemon of a car whether its second hand or new.
What i would say to u percy if ure car is a good runner its worth puting it through an mot even if it costs a little bit more in a mot the worst thing now with newer cars you need the computer to fix it and if anthing goes wrong with it the sensors and electrical components on newer cars it can be expensive.
There is a lot to be said about people buying an old car for £300 with long mot and then scrapping it after the mot and getting another one for the same price make u think sometimes if its cheaper way to go in the long run when u take in the cost of repairs.

Mik.M.
27-Jan-08, 10:42
Rather have a high mileage,well serviced car than a low mileage never seen a service one .Our new car has Starship Enterprise mileage but has been serviced at Main agents regardless of cost. Still fells like new,drives superb,miles done on motorways so no real stress on the car.

riggerboy
27-Jan-08, 10:49
i have 1 car that has covered 150000 miles and 1 with 120000 both having a full service history and still drives like a dream, i also had a very low milage car with out any history it drove like a nightmare, dont mind when its MOT time as i do most of the repairs myself, anyway i`d rather a high miler with fsh than a low miler without, think my 2 cars have been wednesday cars,

johno
27-Jan-08, 11:59
My present car was an 02 plate, was bought 2yrs old with 8k on the clock & 2 service stamps, i knew the owner & it was nursed & garaged while in his keep. It,s now got 20k on the clock & getting ready for it,s next mot & 5th service in May The only cost ive ever had was one no plate bulb & i put this down to the fact that
these bulbs are in the tailgate & take a pounding when the gate shuts.
I,ve no intention of replacing it as it,s on a private plate and looks like a one year old. Good regular servicing along with good maintenence is the key to
carefree motoring.

anneoctober
27-Jan-08, 12:33
My present car was an 02 plate, was bought 2yrs old with 8k on the clock & 2 service stamps, i knew the owner & it was nursed & garaged while in his keep. It,s now got 20k on the clock & getting ready for it,s next mot & 5th service in May The only cost ive ever had was one no plate bulb & i put this down to the fact that
these bulbs are in the tailgate & take a pounding when the gate shuts.
I,ve no intention of replacing it as it,s on a private plate and looks like a one year old. Good regular servicing along with good maintenence is the key to
carefree motoring.
Welcome back Johno! Your last sentence is absolutely spot on, look after your car and she'll look after you - just like Grace does......not too sure about YOUR mileage though!! [lol];)

northener
27-Jan-08, 13:36
There' more than a few Mondeo's and other run of the mill cars that have clocked up in excess of 200k with no real probs. As Johno and others have stated, it's down to good maintenance as opposed to age and mileage.

percy toboggan
27-Jan-08, 14:19
There' more than a few Mondeo's and other run of the mill cars that have clocked up in excess of 200k with no real probs. As Johno and others have stated, it's down to good maintenance as opposed to age and mileage.

I think build quality comes into it and the manufacturer is also key.
Only drawback with Audi's and Mercs etc. is the high price of spares when they do go wrong, which is less often than some other marques.
I know Japanese cars have a fantastic reputation yet I still shy away from considering owning one.... purely a personal preference..as I've bought Jap bikes in the past.

Snarfer
27-Jan-08, 14:28
A few years back I got a Primira diesel with 80k miles the car was 4 years old and had a 1 year warranty. about a week after the warranty ran out the the head gasket went cost a fortune to repalce then a month later it went again because the cylinder head was warped this time needed a new engine so we got shot of the car. now we just go for relitively new cars with low mileage.

northener
27-Jan-08, 14:57
Percy's right about manufacturer being relevant. I wouldn't dare buy a Fiat with 150k on the clock, yet I'd happily buy a VW or Audi with service history.

A good guide to what makes a good high-mileage car is look at what the taxi firms use. Diesel Skodas win hands down for reliability and cost-effectiveness.

Unfortunately, second-hand ones are in great demand, so that keeps the prices up.

johno
27-Jan-08, 18:22
Welcome back Johno! Your last sentence is absolutely spot on, look after your car and she'll look after you - just like Grace does......not too sure about YOUR mileage though!! [lol]
aye Annie, im well looked after & well serviced. http://209.85.12.234/7289/61/emo/rofl6ma.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://javascript<b></b>:emoticon(':rofl:')) ouch just got a slap on the back o the heid.

munchkin
29-Jan-08, 11:25
hi can anyone help me please ive bought 2 cars of this site only to be conned my current car 106 is going to cost over 600 to fix i went to look at an automatic micra with 27000 miles on clock want 1200 is this an ok buy help

EDDIE
29-Jan-08, 18:19
the only thing with an automatic is its a lot harder to sell because not a lot of people dont want to drive an automatic.
what about buying an old car for £300 with a long mot and scrap it when the mot runs out 1200 u could get 4 old cars for that just a thought

percy toboggan
29-Jan-08, 18:21
Hard to say. How old is it? Can the mileage be verified? Low mileage always best for an automatic gearbox. Micra's are good little cars but have a strange idiosyncratic tendency to 'steam-up inside (windows) and it's difficult to shift. The engine son these cars are very robust...I think the timing belt is actually metal chain...if I remember rightly and resillient.If it's a dealer do not pay thr asking price but go in with an offer. Same with private sale. Check bodywork carefully....the body will let you down before a well maintained engine on these cars....in my wholly unqualified opinion. My daughter ha sowned two...and been relatively pleased - first one was new...second one was quite old and worn...she got eighteen months out of it. I have hired several of these cars in the early oughties they give good mpg and go like stink for a little un. If this motor is on the level it could last you for years.

johno
29-Jan-08, 18:30
I think build quality comes into it and the manufacturer is also key.
Only drawback with Audi's and Mercs etc. is the high price of spares when they do go wrong, which is less often than some other marques.
I know Japanese cars have a fantastic reputation yet I still shy away from considering owning one.... purely a personal preference..as I've bought Jap bikes in the past.
wish i could agree with you there Percy, i once bought a three yr old bmw 2.8 i with less than 30k on the clock, was the worst nightmare i ever had.
ended up swopping it for a mini clubman & some cash. had,nt had a spot of bother with the mini. had a pal who had a merc coupe & his was a nightmare also.
but generally speaking what your saying is usually the norm.

percy toboggan
29-Jan-08, 18:47
I wouldn't have a Beemer johno, although I was tempted about six years back...I decided on Audi and have never , ever regretted it. Your case sounds extreme though - sure the mileage was right?

My current Audi (80 sport) had 35,000 on the clock when I bought it two years ago - it's an M Reg and I've put another 18k. on it. All I've replaced is tyres and a dipstick tube!

Oh! and new brake pads all round - £175!!

johno
30-Jan-08, 13:48
[quote=percy toboggan;331280]I wouldn't have a Beemer johno, although I was tempted about six years back...I decided on Audi and have never , ever regretted it. Your case sounds extreme though - sure the mileage was right?

My current Audi (80 sport) had 35,000 on the clock when I bought it two years ago - it's an M Reg and I've put another 18k. on it. All I've replaced is tyres and a dipstick tube!

Oh the mileage was correct, my mate bought it brand new then ran it for 2yr,s then garaged it for i yr when he went abroad to work in Saudi Arabia.
when he came back home he bought another new beemer( a v8) i bought the old one from him. the only engine bother i had with it was the head gasket. but all the other headaches came from linkages, brakes, exhaust,
light,s, computer taking mad turn,s. obviously it was all down to the long wintering without use. but it sure scunnered me. anyway i actually made a profit on the deal when i sold the mini.

munchkin
30-Jan-08, 14:19
hi ive past on it got my self a y reg rover thanks for all your help:Razz