PDA

View Full Version : Sky Broadband

Penelope Pitstop
26-Jan-08, 20:37
Hello, just looking for some advice about Sky Broadband....anyone got it?...is it fairly reliable compared to the likes of Tiscali?

I've got Tiscali broadband and phone package just now, but I would be better off with Sky+ broadband and talk package.......if the broadband is OK that is??

Anyone got any experience of it?

Thanks in anticipation:Razz
PP

Metalattakk
27-Jan-08, 03:49
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

Check them out there.

Minimum 12 month contract. I'd avoid them on that alone, but that's just my opinion.

2GB monthly download cap and only 2Mbps download speed (on the base subscription). Fine if you only surf and email, I suppose.

And if anything, the broadband service will be better than anything Tiscali are currently providing. Of that you can be sure. Mind you, there are still a sizeable amount of complaints regarding connection stability and download speed issues if you check the forums at http://www.thinkbroadband.com.

Edit: Oh, and another thing: None of the Caithness exchanges have been unbundled (LLUd) by Sky, so all you can get is the Sky Connect package, which runs at £17.99 per month, I am led to believe.

Penelope Pitstop
27-Jan-08, 15:20
Thanks very much for that info Metalattakk. Afraid I'm not too computer literate!!!:roll:
PP

NickInTheNorth
27-Jan-08, 16:13
Much as I hate to say it I reckon the very best way to go here in Caithness is BT. I have always hated them, but have now used BT broadband for over 3 years and have had a completely trouble free experience.

Good speed, and no downtime at all.

Moonboots
27-Jan-08, 16:19
Hello, just looking for some advice about Sky Broadband....anyone got it?...is it fairly reliable compared to the likes of Tiscali?

I've got Tiscali broadband and phone package just now, but I would be better off with Sky+ broadband and talk package.......if the broadband is OK that is??

Anyone got any experience of it?

Thanks in anticipation:Razz
PP

I dont know if the TalkTalk sales people were around at your house but they were at mine and there package costs £20.49 a month for unlimted calls to landline numbers and line rental included.. no payment to BT.

Also the most important part is they are provding Free broadband upto 8Meg and our exchanges will be enabled for TalkTalk at the end of Febuary for the Broadband.

Have a look at their site and they will advise you when your exchange will be active for the free broadband.

NickInTheNorth
27-Jan-08, 16:26
I wouldn't touch talk talk if they paid me. VERY bad previous experience

Moonboots
27-Jan-08, 16:32
I wouldn't touch talk talk if they paid me. VERY bad previous experience

Ive not had a problem with them and i know others which havnt had any problems with them either.

But as we all know... if you search the net then you will find out the complainers on any service but you never hardly see any appraisals.

Thats with any company...lol

nanoo
27-Jan-08, 16:43
My other falf changed his service provider last year(March) to Vodafone and we have a great service from them, we pay 25 pounds a month for land line unlimited calls and internet. No payment at all to BT. My OH downloads music movies and games without any problems. I have to point out that this payment of 25 pounds only applies if you have a contract mobile phone from them, otherwise the payment is 35 pounds a month.

NickInTheNorth
27-Jan-08, 16:51
Ive not had a problem with them and i know others which havnt had any problems with them either.

But as we all know... if you search the net then you will find out the complainers on any service but you never hardly see any appraisals.

Thats with any company...lol

It also strikes me as a little strange that they need to sell door to door - usually the last resort of the shadier end of the market...

Penelope Pitstop
28-Jan-08, 14:08
Thanks for all your help on this one.

I'm away to weight up my options....but as I've learnt in the past the cheapest package isn't always the best one:(

Anyone tried "Thus" for service provider....they are shocking...e-mails can take up to a day to get through their system...must be really jammed up (Have this lot at work!)

The Angel Of Death
28-Jan-08, 14:14
I work for bt (who by no means are angels) and the ammount of people we have complaining to us about talk talk is unreal and on top of that a few people in the office tried them and rather quickly got shot of them

Just depends on what you want it for email and web pages then fair enough but anything else then i wouldnt touch them with a scabby stick id far rather pay for a reliable servie then get a guff one for free