PDA

View Full Version : FLYING WITH YOUNG KIDS

Ojibwa
17-Oct-05, 16:09
Hi we are taking our 3 kids all aged 5 and under on a 7 and a half hour flight and cant decide whether to book a seat for our youngest who will be 22 months when we fly. Has anybody got any advice/thoughts on flying with young children and if it would be wise to book a seat or just a waste of money. :D

scotsboy
17-Oct-05, 16:28
Kids under 2 dont get a seat.

Where is the flight to, and what are your choices of airline?

Gus
17-Oct-05, 17:03
Hiya,

If you don't know whether or not your youngest needs a seat, phone the airline and ask them!

Flying with young children can be great - so long as you're not stressed out by it. It can be made to be an amazing experience for them, and so long as you take ample entertainment and carton drinks for the boring bits, and sweeties to chew on during take-off and landing, you shouldn't have any problem.

If you're worried, stressed or grouchy, however, flying with kids is hell for everyone, not least the poor people sat either side!

Good luck!

rainbow
17-Oct-05, 17:23
I flew with my son the day before his 2nd birthday - and there is just not enough room, especially when it comes to 'feeding time'. If you don't want the added stress then book a seat for them. You will also annoy the people in front who get the backs of their seats banged constantly - boy is that annoying!!
For a short flight tolerable, but not for a long flight.

Ojibwa
17-Oct-05, 18:41
Thanks for your comments. The thing I was worried about was paying money for the seat then my son not sitting in it because of his age would probably want up on my knee. Also I've heard of people giving their kids a sedative for flying, anybody got any thoughts on that.

nicnak
17-Oct-05, 19:19
I have taken my kids flying all over the world the youngest one was 5months old when he first flew and we haven't really had a problem the only problem we had was when one of the kids had sore ears whilst landing but it wasnt too bad. I certainly wouldnt see the justification of sedating a child for a half hour flight infact in all honesty I couldnt see any responsible parent wanting to sedate a child just to make an adults life easier. Sorry if this sounds a bit upperty its not meant that way and Im sure your child will love the flight I know mine always did but a good tip is always sit them near a window
regards nicnak

George Brims
17-Oct-05, 19:40
Out three were aged one and half up to five and a half when we first flew with them (Scotland to Hawaii) and they've flown ever since.

Get the extra seat if you can afford it.

If the kids are at all prone to motion sickness (in the car for instance) then ask your doctor or pharmacist about suitable medication.

To avoid the aforementioned ear troubles, give each child a sweetie just before takeoff, and as the plane starts to descend for landing. The act of chewing and swallowing will help their ears pop as pressure changes. Once a child's easr have failed to pop and started to hurt, the wailing and screaming will start, and there is nothing to be done then! If any of your little ones has a cold. a menthol cough type sweetie is best, in fact it's always a good idea to take those on long plane journeys anyway (dry canned air goes for the throat and sinuses).

Finally, pack a wee backpack for each child in advance, with books, crayons, puzzles, toys etc. Zip it up and don't let the child open it or even see what's in it until after takeoff. They will spend half the flight unpacking and fiddling with this stuff (and the last wee bit feverishly getting it all out from under the seats).

And finally and most important, no more than one stuffed animal per child, and count the stuffed animals as well as the children before you get off the plane!

funkiedunkie
18-Oct-05, 08:31
my daughter always get sore ears when flying but i bought those little rubber stoppers that you put in their ears for take off & landing & they seem to do the job, you can get them from the chemist, my only tip for being sick on the plane is before the plane even takes off make sure there is sick bags so at least you are prepared & my final tip is take some calpol, i know when my daughter starts crying & gets upset it calms here down without sedating her, good luck!!

scotsboy
18-Oct-05, 09:16
Not sure where you are flying, but if it is anywhere that Gulf Air fly it is worth considering using them. They have a Sky Nanny Service which is very good.

http://www.gulfairco.com/air/skynanny.asp

brandy
18-Oct-05, 09:45
we have a 21/2 year old and a 1 year old they have been flying all thier life.. ben was 4 mnths his first international flight to america
its no big deal but the extra seat is helpful
our last flight sam had a seat but not ben
ended up ben sat in the seat and sam mostly on our laps..
but tehy actuallyboth fit into one seat.
so during the flight when they were behaving they both shared a seat. just remember
that you do have to have them all strapped in on take off and landing and with an infant you are given a seatbelt that attaches to yours.. and they have to be strapped in!

take along toys and snacks and a change of clothes
def have a sweet and for the younger ones (if they have em) dummy's work great for their ears popping
it is hard to manuver with them on your lap
best advice ask for an aisle seat and have them on the inside that way easier for you to get in and out..
since its a short flight you shouldnt have a problem but you know how unpredictable kids can be!
if your children are anything like mine they will be facinated with a window seat
both mine loved looking out the window..
but its not hard on a short flight
have fun

Ojibwa
18-Oct-05, 10:16
Thanks for all the advice, not sure why, but in the comments some are saying a 7 1/2 hour flight is short??

Karen M26a
18-Oct-05, 12:07
My 15 month old daughter has been on a grand total of 10 fights with us and no problems with her. It's amazing how long a seat belt buckle can keep a child amused!

Try and get a seat for little un if you can, then if he/she needs a sleep you can raise the arm rests between the chairs and sleep him/her across your laps a bit more comfortably.

You can't sit on an emergency row with children, but you can ask for a seat in the row immediately behind first/business class. Sitting behind a partition means no seats infront of you to bang into and noone reclining into your precious space! We found that we had at least a couple more inches leg room this way, enough to get our daughter on the floor between our feet for a sleep (and noone walking past us for the toilet all the time!)

Don't forgot the calpol whatever you do, and make sure to enjoy a glass of wine to help you relax and enjoy the journey a bit as well.

(Nb, US Airlines have more leg room and bigger seats than any other airline we've flown with.)

brandy
18-Oct-05, 16:17
sorry hun i thought it was an 1 1/2 flight! *laughs*
ask for the bulkhead if you can best place for kids on long hauls!

pie2000
18-Oct-05, 18:30
I flew last year with a 3 yr old and was really worried about it before hand. I was advised a spoonful of piriton as it would make her sleepy and keep airways and sinus's clear although i bought it and took it with me i never got round to using it as everything was so exciting for her even being in the airport everything is new to them and so many people around made her stay close! I also packed a bag with new crayons and books and a small new toy that i gave her on the plane although after all the excitment of the journey and running about before hand she slept most of the way and never really seen it. Just you relax (with that glass of wine as mentioned before) and it will go better than you could imagine.

Ojibwa
18-Oct-05, 21:20
Thankyou again for all the advice, I feel a little more confident now and think that I will book the extra seat. Cheers :D