PDA

View Full Version : This maybe cheeky

Dusty
25-Jan-08, 20:20
I don't mean to be cheeky and I appreciate people have spent a long time honing their skills but would it be possible for posters to include details with their posts to help us photography newbies?

I'm thinking of things like the light conditions at the time (bright,cloudy, overcast etc.) f-number, shutter speed and perhaps the iso setting used. I am aware of the interrelationship of these factors but but to be able to relate them together to a photograph you are seeing and knowing the conditions it was shot under might impart a better idea of their use in practice. Also, what a photographer's thought processes were in making the composition would also be insightful.

I realise that there is no substitute for getting out there and taking photographs but some things elude me completely, like, how do you decide that 7 seconds for instance, is adequate for the particular nightime shot you want to achieve? What is the best way to capture the sense of awe you feel on seeing a dramatic sky over a beautiful landscape? What is the best aperture/speed combination to blur the water flowing down a burn?

The standards of photography on this forum in my opinion, ranges from great to jaw-dropping and I would like to be able to take photographs that were at least approaching adequate.
I do not presume to merely copy what others have worked hard to achieve, but rather to learn from them as a means to becoming competent to experiment myself.
I also realise that time constraints may play a part, so is there any way of simply adding the Exif data to a post?

Again, I hope that you don't think I'm asking too much but when you see people doing what you would like to be able to do, it's natural to ask "how do you do that"?

Thanks in anticipation.

Riffman
26-Jan-08, 02:07
I post all my photos with the EXIF intact, so if you use something like this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673

you can view all my settings, even down to the second when the photo was taken.

It saves me writing out pages of settings and gets you access to them quickly.

Most pictures on here have the EXIF intact, especially if they have not been edited.

Riffman
26-Jan-08, 02:10
how do you decide that 7 seconds for instance, is adequate for the particular nightime shot you want to achieve?

I don't. I would shoot one at 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ,12 13, 14, 15 and pick the best.

What is the best way to capture the sense of awe you feel on seeing a dramatic sky over a beautiful landscape?

Polarising filter and ND grads

What is the best aperture/speed combination to blur the water flowing down a burn?

Stick to around F16 as a max, and go for the longest shutter speed. Also a neutral density filter helps enourmously to get the shutter speed longer.

Lolabelle
26-Jan-08, 07:59
Can I add to Dusty's request, can photographers put the location of the shots. Lots do, but to us who aren't local or even in the same hemisphere we'd love to know where shots were taken. :D

Tugmistress
26-Jan-08, 10:29
how do you decide that 7 seconds for instance, is adequate for the particular nightime shot you want to achieve?

I don't. I would shoot one at 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ,12 13, 14, 15 and pick the best.

What is the best way to capture the sense of awe you feel on seeing a dramatic sky over a beautiful landscape?

Polarising filter and ND grads

What is the best aperture/speed combination to blur the water flowing down a burn?

Stick to around F16 as a max, and go for the longest shutter speed. Also a neutral density filter helps enourmously to get the shutter speed longer.

basically about the same here though at the moment i have no filters so what you see is what comes out of camera (must pick up a converter ring so my filters fit one of my lenses!). though i have been known to use as high as f32 for water in sunlight as i got no filters yet.

Scout
26-Jan-08, 15:32
I am sorry but you will have to pay me good money to tell you lol;) Why not come to the Thurso Camera club that may be a good start

Bobinovich
26-Jan-08, 17:09
Shame Dusty is in Central Scotland tho' ;)

Dusty
26-Jan-08, 18:41
As Bobinovich says, I'm in Central Region, but I might well turn up at Thurso Camera Club if I'm up on holiday and there's a meeting on. Thanks for the invite Scout and I may well look into joining a local camera club.

It has been well worthwhile making the request as there has been so much usefull information already.

I can now view Exif data in Internet Explorer which I couldn't do before and I have found out about polarising and graduated filters among other things.

Thank you to everybody who has replied so far for your help.

Raven
27-Jan-08, 22:49
I would recommend that you join your local camera club, there will be many folks that are willing to discuss settings in situ.
I for myself have rarely published the settings as I dont see the point of it. You will never be able to recreate the same situation again.

One good advice, be true to yourself and do whatever you like best! When others dont like it so what? When they do its an added bonus! I would listen to advice, and then do what I find its best :-)
Tastes are so different and thanks God for that diversity!

Get your work critiqued by people you dont know, only this is the way to get an honest critique and be prepared to take it!

Join a photosite and make friends!

Somebody once said to me: "Stop looking for that picture and it will come to you"... oh so true....

And most of all, have fun doing your stuff, if you dont enjoy yourself you might as well forget it! :-))

Dusty
28-Jan-08, 22:31
Thanks for the advice Raven.

I think as it has been mentioned to me more than once, I will see about joining the local camera club.

Your point about obtaining critique on my pictures from strangers makes sense too now that I read it, as no doubt those who know you will not wish to offend by telling you what they really might think.

I think your last line about having fun and enjoying yourself is one of the things that comes through in your photographs. I think I will enjoy the hobby more as my confidence grows.

Thanks again.