PDA

View Full Version : Tescos what is happening?

mickey101
16-Oct-05, 19:20
Hi
Does anyone know what is happening on the Tescos front? It all seems to have gone very quiet. I had heard some female Green party MSP was objecting but as she is not our MSP, does live in the county and probably has her pick of retail outlets my opinion is she should be told to butt out.
Or have the forces of darkness once again managed to block it ?

M

Lavenderblue2
19-Oct-05, 11:01
Yes Mickey, I have been wondering about that too. I agree with you about the Green party MSP person probably having her pick of the supermarkets although I hadn't heard of her objections.
What amazes me is that these other outlets seem to be going ahead - do the powers that be not think that these might be a drain on local retailers?
I think that we really need Tesco here - I went into the Thurso Co-op this morning and was totally uninspired, they are so busy getting Halloween and Christmas goods out but what about the day to day normal things - that supermarket has really gone down hill these last few years! I could say an awful lot more about it but its maybe kept under my hat - for now. The Wick branch is maybe marginally better but I really think that if these retailers don't want Tesco then they should pull their socks up. It's the severe lack of choice that we suffer from here in Caithness and Tesco would certainly cure that for me.

LB

rfr10
19-Oct-05, 22:43
What I've heard is that they are taking a while to get ground sold to them because the man who was going to be selling the land to them apparently doesn't actually own the ground beside T.O. Caithness Glass building so they have to get it from someone else.

Glad to see that the Shopping Complex in Wick is fairly coming on. Looks like its going to be huge.

Nivelo
20-Oct-05, 01:08
it was the airport that owned that gound and they have sold it to tesco a while ago. They are still laying the electrics and undergound stuff. There has been new power transformers put up there and are just getting the ground work done before they move on.

Fran
20-Oct-05, 02:14
i have been told that Campbells have the contract to do Tescos and the council are holding it all up, hence the delay which is annoying us all. [mad]

Rheghead
20-Oct-05, 09:53
it was the airport that owned that gound and they have sold it to tesco a while ago.

The Ministry of Defence owns the Airfield or so I believe on very good authority.

webmannie
22-Oct-05, 08:20
Heard that also, a wee setback I would say, that'll add a few months onto things!!