PDA

View Full Version : Longest time in a shop

Valerie Campbell
25-Jan-08, 17:58
I'm just curious. What's the longest time you've spent in a shop, browsing? You see, in days gone by when I was young, free and single, I could spend up to two hours easily in a book shop, just browsing the titles, until something caught my eye. Hence why I've so many books! My friend could spend the same amount of time in a clothes shop. What about you guys? What shops take up most of your browsing time?

Mr P Cannop
25-Jan-08, 18:04
computer shops

orkneylass
25-Jan-08, 18:20
I've twice spent 3 hours in one shop on girly shopping weekends - Frasers in Aberdeen and Primark in Manchester!

Margaret M.
25-Jan-08, 18:20
No matter what I am shopping for I lose patience with it around the 2 hour mark. I love to browse housewares -- china, serving dishes, linens, etc.

NickInTheNorth
25-Jan-08, 18:34
9 hours in Harrods - many many years ago. Now I never browse in shops, I know what I want and go and get it.

percy toboggan
25-Jan-08, 18:48
After a few minutes browsing I become rather self-conscious(unless it's a supermarket)
Shops are not public libraries after all, even bookshops.
I should add that I only browse in bookshops and newsagents on any kind of regular basis ...clothes shops I visit once every two or three years and can't get out quickly enough.

Julia
25-Jan-08, 19:16
My own personal record is 7 hours but that was in Ikea so understandable [lol]

My first three visits to Tesco's in Wick clocked up ten hours :eek:, I was heavily pregnant and in one of their disabled scooters.

Thumper
25-Jan-08, 19:18
7 hours in Sears department store.....didnt want to leave :( [lol] x

Munro
25-Jan-08, 19:36
I seem to spend half my life in shops but only because I have been dragged in there by my wife, I am convinced I will leave some shop feet first, still i wont have to do it again then. My wife has been poorly so I had to go food shopping yesterday, made myself look a complete plonker in the Coop.

northener
25-Jan-08, 19:49
I've spent hours in Argos. But only because there's never any bloody staff! Aaaaaaargh!

Bill Baileys' take on Argos sums it up well:)

I could probably get arrested for the amount of time I spend in bookshops.

Green_not_greed
25-Jan-08, 19:53
I'm afraid our entire household allocation of shopping time is taken up by by OH!!!

Dadie
25-Jan-08, 20:50
at least an hour to long for hubby in most shops

think I spent all day browsing in Harrods though!

miranda
25-Jan-08, 20:55
TK MAX... it takes you hours to browse in there then i get frustrated when i come out with nothing!!! but that dont happen often:lol:

golach
25-Jan-08, 20:55
Do pubs count as shops? Well they do sell drink. If so I would spend hours shopping.

marlyn
25-Jan-08, 20:57
I am not a great one for browsing in shops - but when we do venture to Inverness I can leave my husband in HMV or a book shop, do everything that I want, come back to get him and he would still be looking! he doesn't buy much though - he is a bit tight!!!!! leaves the spending to me, which I manage in a remarkably short space of time - lol

TBH
25-Jan-08, 21:21
What's the longest time you have waited to get served in a shop, restaurant, etc? Did you sit there patiently or get really angry and walk out or stand up and say, "what is going on here you bunch of muppets, do you want my custom or not"?:lol:

Note from Moderator: Two threads merged due to very similar themes

SNOWDOG
25-Jan-08, 21:29
Sat in the Snowgoose in Inverness for an hour and a half once whilst constantly being assured we were going to be served soon. We wernt charged for the meal, so it sort of paid off! :Razz

TBH
25-Jan-08, 21:37
Sat in the Snowgoose in Inverness for an hour and a half once whilst constantly being assured we were going to be served soon. We wernt charged for the meal, so it sort of paid off! :RazzMyself and my 2 daughters waited for 90 minutes in the Wayfarer restaurant before getting up and leaving.

Julia
25-Jan-08, 21:41
I've spent hours in Argos. But only because there's never any bloody staff! Aaaaaaargh!

Bill Baileys' take on Argos sums it up well:)

You can see Bill's 'laminated book of dreams' here [lol]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNAaz2PN-k

Angela
26-Jan-08, 11:24
4 hours in IKEA last week :eek: but then the layout makes it so hard to get out of ....:roll:

katarina
26-Jan-08, 12:07
4 hours in IKEA last week :eek: but then the layout makes it so hard to get out of ....:roll:

I know! It took me two hours to find the exit!
Spent 2 hours in homebase one rainy sunday, most of the time spent talking to friends i met there. bought nothing. then went to tescos and met all the same people all over again - we all agreed, it's nice to have somewhere to go to on a Sunday!

Riffman
26-Jan-08, 12:17
Myself and my 2 daughters waited for 90 minutes in the Wayfarer restaurant before getting up and leaving.

yikes! Having been a waiter in my past life I know that it is possible to get to most people within 10mins max. Infact if they are waiting more than that they get some thing free. We had plenty of repeat customers where I worked.

young_fishin_neep
26-Jan-08, 16:16
spent a max of 3 hours in tk max and i spent 2 hours in peacocks ( a great shop down at my dads) 3 hours in primark, most other shops around an hour,

i love clothes shopping :)

bluelady
26-Jan-08, 21:20
and my OH moans if I spend 3 hours in Tesco, wait til he sees this thread [lol]

northener
26-Jan-08, 23:35
You can see Bill's 'laminated book of dreams' here [lol]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNAaz2PN-k

Cheers Julia!

Brilliant.

unicorn
27-Jan-08, 01:31
I try to get in and out of shops as fast as my legs will carry me, I hate shopping in any form!! but seeing as how people tend to walk in front of me in queues I do normally end up spending longer than I had intended :mad:

_Ju_
27-Jan-08, 20:06
There was only one english book shop in Madeira, and I loved reading in English even though the purse string made my choices very careful. I knew shop manager by first name ( and still do today!) and was once asked to "at least" pay some rent....;)

Sandra_B
29-Jan-08, 18:44
I loath shopping, unless it's the book shop. But hours?? No chance.