PDA

View Full Version : Washing machines.

cuddlepop
25-Jan-08, 15:03
Can you only buy cold water fill washing machines now that are under £300.
Have been on Tesco Direct and they all seem to be cold water only.
Is that not more expensive.?:confused

wifie
25-Jan-08, 16:09
Surely heating up the water needed for a wash at 40 degrees for instance is cheaper than using your hot water which is probably at a higher temperature and having it mixed to cool it down. Maybe I am wrong would be interested to know.

catnip
27-Jan-08, 14:13
WIFIE you are exactly right there. They are more environmentally friendly because it heats up the correct amount of water to the required temp.
We just fitted onto into mothers house and that is what it said on the instructions.
I need a new washing machine :(

wifie
28-Jan-08, 01:39
Thanks for that catnip - so I am not as green as I am cabbage looking - lol!

Thumper
28-Jan-08, 11:05
I have an american style toploader that takes water directly from the hot water tank,its a really good machine and can do masive loads,the down side is that once I have done 2 loads I have no hot water until later in the day unless I put the water heater on :( x

Torvaig
28-Jan-08, 11:36
I agree with Wifie and Catnip; unless of course you have your own peat bank and your hot water comes virtually free! ;)

cuddlepop
28-Jan-08, 13:17
Looks like this type of machine is the A for energy efficiency.:D

lazytown
28-Jan-08, 19:50
Could we all not just turn off the hot water supply to our existing washing machines?
Surely that would then make them cheaper to run and better for the environment.

Or do you think it may reduce the life of the machine?

Riffman
28-Jan-08, 19:59
We have run our washing machine on cold only for 10 years and it has only needed a belt and brushes change and I am expecting at least another 10 years out of it.

I have got it plumbed so that the cold water feeds both hot and cold input so the machine heats the water. Works great!

Bobinovich
28-Jan-08, 20:46
The reason why most machines are cold-fill can be found here (http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/buying-related_2.html). It states...

"Washing machine manufacturers say that a cold fill washing machine increases washing efficiency when using biological detergents and washing at 40°. This is because the enzymes in the detergent work best at low temperatures and die off at high temperatures. They also say it is more economical to heat the small amount of water up inside the washing machine than to use the inefficient hot water systems in many UK homes."

cuddlepop
29-Jan-08, 11:00
The reason why most machines are cold-fill can be found here (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/buying-related_2.html). It states...

"Washing machine manufacturers say that a cold fill washing machine increases washing efficiency when using biological detergents and washing at 40°. This is because the enzymes in the detergent work best at low temperatures and die off at high temperatures. They also say it is more economical to heat the small amount of water up inside the washing machine than to use the inefficient hot water systems in many UK homes."

Thank you for that link now I can convince Oh it makes sense and is not costing us more money.:D