PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Footbridge

weestraw
25-Jan-08, 12:42
Just found this on the Highland council website:

A footbridge, which forms an important pedestrian link to Thurso Cemetery, is to be replaced by The Highland Council at a cost of £400,000. The bridge was lost in the floods of October 2006 - and with it went one of the town's most popular walks.

It has been established that the former Thurso Town Council owned the footbridge and a path linking it to the cemetery and the Council's Transport Environment and Community Services today (Thursday) agreed that the replacement should funded from the Council's capital programme and maintained by the Council.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2008/January/2008-01-24-06.htm

Theres also comment by John Rosie and other exciting county 'bridge news'.

Cattach
25-Jan-08, 14:29

A footbridge, which forms an important pedestrian link to Thurso Cemetery, is to be replaced by The Highland Council at a cost of £400,000. The bridge was lost in the floods of October 2006 - and with it went one of the town's most popular walks.

It has been established that the former Thurso Town Council owned the footbridge and a path linking it to the cemetery and the Council's Transport Environment and Community Services today (Thursday) agreed that the replacement should funded from the Council's capital programme and maintained by the Council.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2008/January/2008-01-24-06.htm

Very good news. This bridge and its associated access and pleasant walk was an asset to the community. Good to see our new councillors have worked for replacement. Evidence that former ones , two who are no longer on the council, did not argue strongly, if at all, for replacement. It has taken work by local voluntary groups and the public to push the issue.

robbie_roost
25-Jan-08, 14:49
£400,000 is a lot of money for a footbridge......

Bobinovich
25-Jan-08, 16:20
Whoopee! One of our favourite walks to return - not before time either. With any luck the work'll be done for the summer :roll:

hell raizer
25-Jan-08, 16:37
brilliant news, hope they start work on it soon :)

Riffman
25-Jan-08, 17:00

Well lets hope it stays there this time.

Dusty
25-Jan-08, 19:47

It does seem like an awful lot for a footbridge but I suppose that by the time all the requisite parties have input their requirements to ensure ease of maintenance and above all public safety are inbuilt, the costs must inevitably mount.

The replacement of the bridge is obviously meeting with local approval and I hope that it can be enjoyed by all for a long time to come. It is not a walk I have taken in the past but it's one I hope to take on a future visit to Thurso.

Enjoy.

Highland Laddie
25-Jan-08, 20:40

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2008/January/2008-01-24-06.htm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2008/January/2008-01-24-06.htm)

Councillor John Rosie, Thurso, warmly welcomed the go ahead for the project.

He said: “This is a much cherished walk in one of the most beautiful and scenic areas of Scotland and the bridge replacement was a major topic during the council elections.

Always new John had a sense of humour[lol]

weeksider
25-Jan-08, 21:18
Good news on the bridge,
I have even seen council workers use it for quick access to retreive items from the river.
To all those who pushed for it get replaced/returned Well Done

TBH
25-Jan-08, 21:30
£400,000 is a lot of money for a footbridge......The regeneration of Thurso precinct is only costing £300,000.:eek:

Royster1911
25-Jan-08, 21:35
The regeneration of Thurso precinct is only costing £300,000.:eek:

We could have a wee firework display on our new footbridge for that!:Razz

EDDIE
26-Jan-08, 11:42
i hate to say this but £400,000 thats a lot of money for a bridge how on earth does it cost that much money would be better spent put on training a dentist for the nhs or a doctor up or even put towards more council houses.
What a waste of money but thats the council for u

BMcGillivray
31-Jan-08, 18:22
You cannot compare building a bridge to "regenerating" the precinct... a lot more engineering and structural design would come into play for the building of a bridge, not to mention more safety regulations, whereas regenerating the precinct would revolve around putting in new benches, putting paving and other stonework down, which would mostly be aesthetic design.

Bridge engineering is more complicated than it seems, with forces distribution/structural integrity/and all that to take into consideration, not to mention the still existing remnants of the old bridge and whether or not they can be reused, or whether the supports need to be rebuilt.

I can quite understand why a bridge would cost £400,000 or higher... the real question is why on earth it will take £300,000 to regenerate thurso precinct!

Mr_Me19
31-Jan-08, 18:36
When I saw this I automatically assumed that the extra money would be spend on designing and building a bridge that could withstand the floods much more easily?

silversurfer
31-Jan-08, 19:18
It is interesting reading all the comments about the replacement of the bridge, the costs and then the comparison with other projects.

What I would say is that you would get the answers to all the questions if you attended the Ward Forum. What is that I hear you say?

Well under the new council set up each of the three council wards hold ward forums which are open to the public to attend and ask questions. The last one for the Thurso Ward was held on 22 January and the next one is in the Royal Hotel ballroom - 7pm on 18 March. Come along, meet your councillors, find out what is going on and ask the difficult questions. Senior Council officials are also present.

NickInTheNorth
31-Jan-08, 19:26
It is interesting reading all the comments about the replacement of the bridge, the costs and then the comparison with other projects.

What I would say is that you would get the answers to all the questions if you attended the Ward Forum. What is that I hear you say?

Well under the new council set up each of the three council wards hold ward forums which are open to the public to attend and ask questions. The last one for the Thurso Ward was held on 22 January and the next one is in the Royal Hotel ballroom - 7pm on 18 March. Come along, meet your councillors, find out what is going on and ask the difficult questions. Senior Council officials are also present.

How and where are these events publicised?

I don't suppose there would be any chance of actually creating a mailing list to notify people of such events. (Obviously they would need to register to be on a list, but pretty easy to set up.)

silversurfer
31-Jan-08, 20:30
Two ways I can suggest - keep an eye via the attached link
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourward/ward02/wardforum/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourward/ward02/wardforum/)

or watch out in the local papers (Courier and Groat)

Maybe Bill Fernie could post on Caithness.org when they are happening - Wick, Thurso and Landward