PDA

View Full Version : Industrious Magpie

brokencross
25-Jan-08, 09:58
I have just spent ages watching a very industrious magpie.
He/she has been physically ripping large twigs off a nearby tree and flying off with them balanced neatly in their beaks to make its nest. Some of the twigs are really thick and are as long as the bird itself. The nest can't be far away because it returns after only a short time. Must be a good source of twigs because they keep coming back to the same branch on the tree.
I love this time of year when the birds get busy.

highlander
25-Jan-08, 10:37
The first time i ever seen a magpie was in aberdeen, lovely birds, i love seeing the sparrow's going about with the duck feathers, talk about luxury.

Anne x
25-Jan-08, 10:54
Highlander we have a few round here where I live amazing to watch the antics of them

brokencross
25-Jan-08, 20:19
There are millions, well lots of them round here. The other thing the magpies do is "dig" in the rone. They must be looking for beasties in the mossy type stuff lying in there. Only problem in doing this digging they throw the unwanted moss all over the drive and the car. They are very nervous birds though and disappear from the bird table as soon as they see you at the window.

Kenn
25-Jan-08, 23:43
Pied Maggots are great when they have just fledged,spend all their argueing with their siblings, I have had many a laugh at their antics as they loose their balance and go for a topple.
They are at almost plague proportions here and have witnessed adults raiding eggs from other birds nests so despite the fact that they wear natty dinner suites they are not my favourite birds.

Anne x
26-Jan-08, 01:43
Yes lizz I can understand that but I dont ever remember seeing them that close up especially in Sutherland where I grew up or that many in Caithness although they are obviously there not that I ever saw them
go past Elgin Moray you appear to find a abundance of them and all there antics really good to watch
this week is the bird watch see how it all pans out have a good bird watching weekend folks

daviddd
02-Mar-08, 12:07
I haven't seen many Maggies in Caithness, but here in Oz they are everywhere. They're my favourite bird, so full of character, so tame (they allow you within a few metres beforecooly hopping away), and have such a wonderful melodic song. I've been serenaded many times at close range by their complex warbling - wonderful experience. They often turn up when I'm al fresci-ing looking to share (verboten of course!).

Phoenix200416
03-Mar-08, 23:26
I haven't seen any Magpies in Caithness either. They are very common really were I come from. They used to scavenge in the school playground and stuff. I miss seeing them actually. :D

Blacksmith
04-Mar-08, 08:48
The Magpie has been spotted in Caithness a few times over the last years, most recent was last year it was spotted closed to Shebster.

Kevin Milkins
04-Mar-08, 23:33
I have not seen them in Caithness but in abundence down south. When I used to live in Shropshire it was customery to salute and say morning Colnel
when you saw a Maggie and whenever I saw that coustem nobody was ever able to give an explanation.

honey
05-Mar-08, 12:02
i hate seeing one magpie - 1 for sorrow and all that... but there are usually loads where i live. We have a small woody bit beside our house and they must have their nests there..

My son loves it cos he knows the poem of by heart!

honey
05-Mar-08, 12:04
I have not seen them in Caithness but in abundence down south. When I used to live in Shropshire it was customery to salute and say morning Colnel
when you saw a Maggie and whenever I saw that coustem nobody was ever able to give an explanation.

i dont know why you say Morning Colnel, but the salute is to ward of the sorrow.. as the poem goes, when you see magpies. its..

One for sorrow.
Two for joy.
Three for a girl.
Four for a boy.
Five for silver.
Six for gold.
Seven for a secret never to be told.
Eight's a wish.
Nine's a kiss.
Ten is a bird you must not miss.

Kenn
09-Mar-08, 13:23
Just been watching a pair of resident Maggots, they were performing what appeared to be some sort of dance.
The tail was flicked along with the wings,I bird would go through the motions and then the other, after a few minutes of possibly practicing they performed the same movements in synchronisation.
Very entertaining.