PDA

View Full Version : In or out

brokencross
25-Jan-08, 08:20
Just had heated discussion with my daughter about how you leave a parked car; in gear or in neutral.

Apparently, driving instructors say it should be left in neutral. I know some people say you should leave it in 1st gear (or reverse), with wheels turned in to kerb when parked on a hill. ( a sort of belt and braces solution).
I leave mine in gear at all times, on flat ground, a hill whatever. As all drivers are supposed to check the car is in neutral before starting the engine, surely it is not a problem if it is left in gear.

The reason I ask is that my daughter TOLD (not asked) me to not to leave her car in gear when I left it parked. When I asked "Why?" she said "because the instructor said so!" When I asked her the reason why instructors say this, she couldn't give me one. I upset her by saying if she checked for neutral every time, why should I change my habit of a lifetime.

The only reasons I can think of is, that a car in gear could jump forward if started without checking for neutral or in an emergency it could be towed away if it was in neutral.

What are other drivers habits and any idea why it should be in neutral when parked?

highlander
25-Jan-08, 08:26
I have an old car that i just use for running about the farm, i leave it in gear because if i use the handbrake it sticks on. Hubby always leaves in car in gear but not for that reason.

painter
25-Jan-08, 08:30
Have always left mine in first gear.

kriklah
25-Jan-08, 08:35
i think ill ask my instructor about that today! when i get in his car its in neutral, but my hubby leaves his car in gear, so ive already gotten the habit of checking when i get in it to drive. i dont think hes ever explained why he does it either!

brokencross
25-Jan-08, 09:25
i think ill ask my instructor about that today

That would be great; to get the reasoning from the horse's mouth, so as to speak. I await their reply with interest.

coppertop 1958
25-Jan-08, 09:31
Have always left mine in first gear.with the hand brake off at this time off year .....

brokencross
25-Jan-08, 09:40
Have always left mine in first gear.with the hand brake off at this time off year .....

I remember my dear old dad doing that in case the hand brake froze on in a severe freezing night. Good thinking.

changilass
25-Jan-08, 09:41
I always leave mine in gear. As has been said already, folks should check when they get in the car to make sure its in neutral.

Had an incident where a car set off down the road by itself one day, having satwhere it was all night, still dont fully understand what happened but luckily it went into the only garden that had a hedge rather than a wall.

ywindythesecond
25-Jan-08, 09:42
Just had heated discussion with my daughter about how you leave a parked car; in gear or in neutral.

Apparently, driving instructors say it should be left in neutral. I know some people say you should leave it in 1st gear (or reverse), with wheels turned in to kerb when parked on a hill. ( a sort of belt and braces solution).
I leave mine in gear at all times, on flat ground, a hill whatever. As all drivers are supposed to check the car is in neutral before starting the engine, surely it is not a problem if it is left in gear.

The reason I ask is that my daughter TOLD (not asked) me to not to leave her car in gear when I left it parked. When I asked "Why?" she said "because the instructor said so!" When I asked her the reason why instructors say this, she couldn't give me one. I upset her by saying if she checked for neutral every time, why should I change my habit of a lifetime.

The only reasons I can think of is, that a car in gear could jump forward if started without checking for neutral or in an emergency it could be towed away if it was in neutral.

What are other drivers habits and any idea why it should be in neutral when parked?

There was a bizarre accident in Caithness a year or two ago when a chap was run over by his own tractor. It was parked on a hill with the handbrake on. After a spell of very blustery weather, the handbrake slipped off through the constant buffeting of the wind, tractor ran down the hill, ran over him and broke at least one leg. He should have left it in gear.

Torvaig
25-Jan-08, 10:00
There is also the scenario of a car left in gear, it gets started without the driver checking and if someone is crossing in front of the car they have to jump p.d.q. I know, I've done the jumping!

The thing is, if we all did everything by the book, and that includes pedestrians, things would be fine but hey, hands up everyone that goes through life doing everything by the book...... Canuck, you are excluded;)!

I'm a belt and braces sort of person and do leave a car in gear on a slope even if my handbrake has just passed a M.O.T.

lazytown
25-Jan-08, 10:08
I always leave my car in gear when I park.

I think think your daughter may have miss understood her driving instructor.

This is from the Highway code : (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860))

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should

park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly
select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill
select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill
use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox

Mik.M.
25-Jan-08, 10:32
After watching the item on Watchdog about the Vauxhalls moving whilst the handbrake was applied,I now leave my car in gear. You are taught to check that the car is in neutral before starting the engine,so you should always do it. Lets see what Northerner says on the issue.

flash
25-Jan-08, 10:37
I was taught to park in gear with the handbrake applied in case of a mechanical failure of the handbrake system.

Highland Laddie
25-Jan-08, 10:37
Oops,

I always leave the car in neutral, as the instructions for the car say,
first push the footbrake hold and apply the handbrake, then lift your foot of the footbrake.

Billy Boy
25-Jan-08, 10:50
I have always left my car in gear, it's just something i dont even think about until now, unlike mrs bb a few years ago, i used to go in the car after her to find no handbreak on and in neutral :eek: luckly then the road out side the house was flat.

ashaw1
25-Jan-08, 11:19
Neutral, but then again mine is an automatic!

Metalattakk
25-Jan-08, 11:28
I upset her by saying if she checked for neutral every time, why should I change my habit of a lifetime.

It's her car. Respect her wishes.

footie chick
25-Jan-08, 11:55
I've always left car in gear don't know who told me to but I'm sure someone did.
My pet hate is going in hubbys car I need two hands to release the handbrake :eek:

robbie_roost
25-Jan-08, 12:29
well,

a built in saftey feature of my car (saab) is that you cannot remove the ignition key without leaving the car in reverse...key is beside handbrake, once the key is removed the gearbox is locked in reverse and there is no steering lock as witn other cars....so i always leave my car in gear

ciderally
25-Jan-08, 13:00
this is an arguement that him indoors and myself are always having...he leaves it in gear...i dont ...and i do admit to not checking when i get in..oops

hobbes1962
25-Jan-08, 14:19
I think think your daughter may have miss understood her driving instructor.

This is from the Highway code : (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860))

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should

park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly
select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill
select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill
use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox

When I learnt to drive on a manual the driving instructor told me to always leave it parked in neutral but always to check when starting the car it was in neutral so I did. I now have an automatic and only leave it parked in neutral if I've reversed it in (I take it out of reverse and the next slot is neutral). However if I park nose in it just gets left in drive.

hobbes1962
25-Jan-08, 14:24

My thoughts too - my father in law always left my car in gear after he'd driven it and it used to do my head in!

coppertop 1958
25-Jan-08, 15:11

is not a park brake on a automatic gearbox ......

NickInTheNorth
25-Jan-08, 15:17

In which case surely it is correct to leave it in park not neutral

NLP
25-Jan-08, 15:26
I park in neutral,Im sure thats what my driving instructor said, my OH leaves it in gear not sure why but it bugs me.

Whitewater
25-Jan-08, 16:27
I always park the car in first or reverse gear with the hand brake on depending on the slope of the road. If the brake slips off for some reason or other you have back up. In frosty weather I always leave the hand brake off, it has frose on too many times and it is a nuisance when that happens. Finally the car can slip on the hand brake, but the gear stick will not jump out of gear on its own. Before you start up you should always ensure you are in neutral.

From an advanced driver of many years experience.

EDDIE
25-Jan-08, 18:27
I always leave the car in 1st or reverse gear for the reason if ure on a hill or slope if the handbrake cable brakes the car wont roll of and if you are on a steep hill you should really turn your steerin into the kerb as another safet precation.
It is possible for a handbrake cable to snap i have seen it happen on the ford gargo lorrys and at the end of the day when u get in the car u should always check the gear is in neutril before starting.
I think its good safety precation to leave it in gear.
But at the end of the day if its your daughters car its up to her really whether she wants to leave it in gear or not.

percy toboggan
25-Jan-08, 18:43
It only matters if you have a dodgy handbrake - unless you're parked on a gradient , in which case the dilligent will leave it in gear and the zealous will turn the wheels toward the kerb. (If you do not do this in San Francisco you risk an on the spot fine...just visualise those streets in your head).
Gwenerally I leave it in gear some of the time - although I always check before firing up the engine...which everyone should do anyway surely...it's just common sense. Nobody leaves a car in neutral 100% of the time so a ritualistic but cursory check is essential.

EDDIE
25-Jan-08, 19:09
It only matters if you have a dodgy handbrake - unless you're parked on a gradient , in which case the dilligent will leave it in gear and the zealous will turn the wheels toward the kerb. (If you do not do this in San Francisco you risk an on the spot fine...just visualise those streets in your head).
Gwenerally I leave it in gear some of the time - although I always check before firing up the engine...which everyone should do anyway surely...it's just common sense. Nobody leaves a car in neutral 100% of the time so a ritualistic but cursory check is essential.

Percy if u have a dodgy handbrake u shouldnt be driveing it full stop.whether a handbrake cable is new or old there is a chance it could break ok the chance or very slim it happening but it can thats why you should always leave it in gear its common sense to do it

Julia
25-Jan-08, 19:24
I always leave it in neutral unless on a hill and then I leave it in reverse gear (facing downhill) just in case. Anybody else who drives my car (hardly ever) leaves it in gear and I always get the fright of my life when the car leaps forward, I've gotten out of the habit of checking.

catnip
25-Jan-08, 23:38
In Gear, even when it is in the garage !

Thumper
25-Jan-08, 23:41
I leave mine in gear but not when its in the garage then I leave it in neutral and the handbrake off.I remember years ago jumping in my boyfriends car and not checking..started it and whallop right into my shed wall :eek:..he had parked it close to it cos his boot didnt lock [lol]...always check now! x

bobandag16
25-Jan-08, 23:52

no augment in gear hand brake on. years off driving.

northener
26-Jan-08, 00:20
Horses' mouth version.

I always taught to park in neutral. Why? Because when the student is under pressure on their test, they are likely to forget they are still in gear and fire the engine up.

Routine whilst learning: Leave in neutral and apply handbrake. Check handbrake and in neutral with left hand prior to fire up.

Routine after test: Leave in 1st gear and apply handbrake to prevent handbrake creep. Then repeat above to fire up.

The reason behind the different method for learners purposes is that if the student neglects to check handbrake/neutral before firing up, they will get a less serious driver error - if the car was in neutral at the time.

If they neglect their handbrake/neutral routine and the car is in gear - boinnnnggg - game over.

But, if the student is confident about leaving the car in gear and firing up safely (especially on hills) not a problem on test day. Different folks, different strokes.

Automatics should always be left in 'Park'.

Leaving it in 'Drive' can be dodgy as some automatics can creep when left in Drive with the engine running.

Riffman
26-Jan-08, 00:38
Always park in gear (3rd) when on the level or uphill. Reverse if facing downhill. I have seen first hand what a snapped handbrake cable can do even on a gentle slope. The owner of the BMW was not amused.

When you get in the car you should follow a set routine, that is alot safer than just getting in firing up and off you go.

Mine stems from the fact that I was flying aircraft a year before I was driving. In an aircraft you have a huge list of things you must do in the correct order before starting the engine. You do not skip the checklist, ever.

So naturally I developed a routine for the car which I have stuck to since the day I bought it.

Starting checklist:

Visual as you approach the car, flat tires, damage?

Get in

'Hatches and Harnesses' Check all doors are closed and all person/s are wearing seatbelts. Wear them or walk if you are coming with me. And yes, some have walked.

Move gear lever into neutral and give it stir to check full and free movement.

Clutch in

Key to 2nd position, wait for fuel pump to stop, check fuel level.

Key to 3rd position and start.

It sounds like a lot, but once you get into a smooth routine it is quicker than changing your mind everytime. When I come to turn off the end, all systems are returned to neutral position. Wiper off, lights off, heater off, fan off, heated window off, radio off.

That way it is all reset ready for next time and I won't forget to turn something off.

It really is easy to do and prevents embarrassing incidents with flat batteries, or running over pedestrains when you start up.

-------------------------

I know some claim that you should teach them to leave it in neutral so they dont forget when taking their test - that is bad practice. The test is to ensure they are competent in the real world driving. If they cannot remember to check that, then they are not ready. Imagine if they passed their test then the next day they parked up on a hill and the handbrake cable snaps causing the car to roll down the hill and kill a child. Totally preventable.

Just my £2.

northener
26-Jan-08, 10:38

I know some claim that you should teach them to leave it in neutral so they dont forget when taking their test - that is bad practice. The test is to ensure they are competent in the real world driving. If they cannot remember to check that, then they are not ready. Imagine if they passed their test then the next day they parked up on a hill and the handbrake cable snaps causing the car to roll down the hill and kill a child. Totally preventable.

Just my £2.[/quote]

I won't tell you how to fly aeroplanes ( I'm not qualified) if you don't tell me how to teach people to drive.;)

brokencross
26-Jan-08, 10:53

Thank goodness for that. If that is the way it works, I shall stop topping up HER windowwashers, I shall stop checking HER oil, I shall stop clearing the ice and snow off HER car at 0700 so she just gets in to a warm car and drives off, I shall stop checking HER tyre pressures, I shall stop putting petrol in HER car (she doesn't like driving on garage forecourts).

Checking HER gear lever (as she is supposed to do anyway) and knocking it into neutral OR me continuing to do all the above. HER car, HER choice!

Thanks Northerner for the "horses mouth" version. I had a sneaking suspicion that might be the thinking rather than a technical reason. Cheers

northener
26-Jan-08, 11:02
Riffman,

It's worth pointing out that I have already stated I teach people to leave their car in gear if they are happy with it on the test. There is no requirement on the test to actually switch the engine off under normal circumstances and there is no requirement to demonstrate leaving the car in gear.

Leaving the car in gear is not a requirement of the test, but, this does not mean that I do not see the point of teaching 'in gear'. I personally leave my car in gear and instruct my students to do likewise if they are happy to do so.

Like I said, if the student is happy to do it, then fine. My job is to turn out safe drivers, if I homed in on every little detail then it would take a damn sight longer to get them up to scratch. -And that would take us into a whole new discussion on which I have very strong views!

freepress
26-Jan-08, 11:21
I have just started reading this thread, the first words of which are,
"Just had heated discussion with my daughter about how you leave a parked car; in gear or in neutral."

I think that the crux of the matter is,
"... had heated discussion with my daughter ..."

There.
Daughters nowadays have become uppity, becoming women's libbers,
and other deviations from the teachings of the prophets.

The Respect of Parents

http://www.christianity-islam.com/woman.html

"Each of you must respect his mother and father..."
Leviticus 19:3

and

"For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death."
Mark 7:10

I beseech you not to obey Mark 7:10

I leave the car in gear.

Riffman
26-Jan-08, 12:15
I won't tell you how to fly aeroplanes ( I'm not qualified) if you don't tell me how to teach people to drive.;)

Riffman,

It's worth pointing out that I have already stated I teach people to leave their car in gear if they are happy with it on the test. There is no requirement on the test to actually switch the engine off under normal circumstances and there is no requirement to demonstrate leaving the car in gear.

Leaving the car in gear is not a requirement of the test, but, this does not mean that I do not see the point of teaching 'in gear'. I personally leave my car in gear and instruct my students to do likewise if they are happy to do so.

Like I said, if the student is happy to do it, then fine. My job is to turn out safe drivers, if I homed in on every little detail then it would take a damn sight longer to get them up to scratch. -And that would take us into a whole new discussion on which I have very strong views!

Fair enough I suppose ;)

hobbes1962
26-Jan-08, 12:27
Automatics should always be left in 'Park'.

Leaving it in 'Drive' can be dodgy as some automatics can creep when left in Drive with the engine running.

Why would you park your car and go away and leave the engine running? :confused

Metalattakk
26-Jan-08, 14:06
Thank goodness for that. If that is the way it works, I shall stop topping up HER windowwashers, I shall stop checking HER oil, I shall stop clearing the ice and snow off HER car at 0700 so she just gets in to a warm car and drives off, I shall stop checking HER tyre pressures, I shall stop putting petrol in HER car (she doesn't like driving on garage forecourts).

Checking HER gear lever (as she is supposed to do anyway) and knocking it into neutral OR me continuing to do all the above. HER car, HER choice!

You would stop doing all that just because she wants you to do one little thing? Very childish and spiteful, I must say.

I find it difficult to understand why you would want to annoy your own daughter so much.

*Martin*
26-Jan-08, 14:43
I leave it at P for park!

percy toboggan
26-Jan-08, 15:13
Percy if u have a dodgy handbrake u shouldnt be driveing it full stop.

I don't live in an ideal world Eddie.
If I did, I'd agree with you.

brokencross
26-Jan-08, 18:40
As many people do on this messageboard I gave some background information as to the reason for the post and then asked a simple question.

However, the question proved too difficult for some people and instead, what I got was instructions on how to manage my family and life.

I was foolish enough to even acknowledge this "instruction" by just pointing out some of the things I did for my daughter and that I thought it was no real hardship to move a gear lever an inch or so!

Bedamned, the sarcasm in the post was lost and still without answering the original question (as nearly everyone else managed to do, for which I thank you), I get a judgmental, analytical and highly critical response.

You would stop doing all that just because she wants you to do one little thing? Very childish and spiteful, I must say.

I find it difficult to understand why you would want to annoy your own daughter so much.

I feel neither chastened or embarrassed by these posts. I myself don't jump to judgements and conclusions without first availing myself of ALL the facts.

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE THE CAITHNESS.ORG MESSAGEBOARD???

That is a purely rhetorical question. Although some folks don't even bother to answer questions anyway and set off on moral crusades.

northener
26-Jan-08, 19:36
Why would you park your car and go away and leave the engine running? :confused

Believe me Hobbes, some people do.

There's been a few incidents in car parks where some eejit has left their car in 'drive', wandered off and then come back to find their car 100m away from where they left it - or even hurtling round in a circle! I've seen a training video showing police officers attempting to shoot out a car driving itself in a circle and demolishing everything in it's path:eek: Guess which country.....

lasher
26-Jan-08, 20:03
This is what should be done, leave car in first gear always! And you should depress the clutch pedal when your starting the engine.

Tilter
26-Jan-08, 20:29

Well BC, you are an absolute treasure, just like my OH. I would never dream of doing oil, air, petrol, MOT's or any of that other nasty stuff, but I do drive.

Oh, and I park in first gear (handbrake off in winter) and have done since 1968 so I don't think I can stop now. OH parks in neutral, but it doesn't seem to have been a problem, not that I recall.