PDA

View Full Version : Pavement Parkers

Big G
24-Jan-08, 22:22
While speaking about Thurso parking this kind of parking does my head in!

work vans are usually the worst, they park on the path so pedestrians cant get past, we have to either walk on the road or on the grass (which is usually the muddiest bit there!!) I feel for the parents with buggies - having to bump their buggy down!

How does everyone else feel about 'pavement parking'!

unicorn
24-Jan-08, 22:23
If they are in the van I have seen me squeeze the buggy by and watch the horror in their faces as they think they will get it scratched :lol:

hotrod4
24-Jan-08, 22:35
Its happening in Wick too!
Lost count of the number of times cars now park on the pavement in front of Mcallans shop so they can get goods they've bought from the Hydro in there!.It seems to be a new thing as people used to park outside Boots.
They are only saving themselves a couple of paces but they are right beside a crossing and right in front of a shop, blocking people going past.Where is the traffic warden when you need him, surely this is illegal?

northener
24-Jan-08, 22:41
Yes, it is illegal to park on the pavement.

But it is not illegal to stop on the road to load or unload your vehicle. The problem is if you park legally, you will probably hold up the traffic. Thats why a lot of people take the 'half on - half off' option.

I can understand anyone parking outside the Hydro to load up a washing machine or whatever, but a certain amount of intelligence regarding parking wouldn't go amiss!

hotrod4
24-Jan-08, 22:50
I can understand anyone parking outside the Hydro to load up a washing machine or whatever, but a certain amount of intelligence regarding parking wouldn't go amiss!

I know what you mean and I sympathise but they have to drive up onto the pavement and avoid pedestrians past Boots, its not as if its 1 or 2 feet, they are miles away from the road!!!! and I am constantly seeing people shake their heads at the sheer gall of some of the drivers!!

People have loaded at the kerb their for years, it just seems people have seen one person do it and they think "sod it if they can do it and get away with it so am I "

TBH
24-Jan-08, 23:00
Pavement parkers come from all 'walks' of life, and are not bad people. They are often misunderstood and accused of being one or more of the following:

Ignorant - They're just too stupid to realise that it is illegal and inconveniences others.

Incompetent - It's too difficult to park close and parallel to the kerb.

Lazy - The road is narrow and they can't be bothered to park in a more appropriate place and walk.

Misguided - There are yellow lines. They might be to stop parked cars causing an obstruction. By parking partly on the pavement they feel that they reduce the obstruction and thereby reduce the offence (in fact they are now committing two offences5).

Sheep - Everyone else is parked on the pavement therefore it must be the right thing to do.

Selfish - They just want to get on with their lives and disregard everyone else.

To sum up they are ignorant, incompetent, lazy, misguided, selfish sheep. They may be called much worse, but pavement parkers are unfazed by anything that may be said to them and are well versed in the allied art of giving verbal abuse.My thoughts Exactly.[lol]

robbie_roost
25-Jan-08, 01:30
Have you ever tried to carry a washing machine out of the hydro across the pavement and then into the open boot of your car which is parked on the road and blocking all trafic?if you park on the pavement and cause a minor blockage to padestrians,rather than block the whole of the main street in wick....id say that its ok..and im sure that most of the people walking by would not mind that much?

JAWS
25-Jan-08, 05:40
Never found it a problem anywhere I've been and certainly not one big enough to bother about. .

TBH
25-Jan-08, 11:05
Never found it a problem anywhere I've been and certainly not one big enough to bother about. .It's a problem if you cannot get along the path with a pram. Are they supposed to go out into the road to get around the car, van, lorry? The one place you should feel safe from being run over is a pavement.

Highland Laddie
25-Jan-08, 11:11
I think there's a car park at the back of those shops where you can load your goods from the back door of the shops.

Dog-eared
25-Jan-08, 16:47
Isn't the rear of the shop accessed from the car park in Louisburgh St - down the steep road on the left of the car park ?

WeeBurd
25-Jan-08, 23:25
It's a problem if you cannot get along the path with a pram. Are they supposed to go out into the road to get around the car, van, lorry? The one place you should feel safe from being run over is a pavement.

I completely agree, TBH, I've frequently encountered problems when in Thurso with the WeeBurdies, although more often than not it's been on Ormlie Road where vans just drive right up onto the (wide) pavement blocking it completely. It's a bust road and it really gets me wild having to push the buggy out onto the road to get past [evil].

matelot79
26-Jan-08, 03:24
I was down at Caithness general today and the only place I could park was on a pavement (but not a real pain to the public, maybe had to walk an extra 2 yards or metres to the PC). Come 1’o clock the amount of spaces that were free was unreal. Wondering if they bring in parking charges like other NHS hospitals would it be the same.

Cattach
26-Jan-08, 09:47
While speaking about Thurso parking this kind of parking does my head in!

work vans are usually the worst, they park on the path so pedestrians cant get past, we have to either walk on the road or on the grass (which is usually the muddiest bit there!!) I feel for the parents with buggies - having to bump their buggy down!

How does everyone else feel about 'pavement parking'!

Steven Joiners parked on the footpath at Skinandi's for at least two days last week. A pedstrian could squeeze past but I saw a lady with a pram having to go out onto the main road. This is just not acceptable for people with prams, the diabled and even less agile old folk. houghless and lazy parking

If they had been loading or unloading it would be no problem but the van was all closed up when I past in both directions.

Valerie Campbell
26-Jan-08, 16:49
Those who are guilty of parking on the pavement should think of people with double buggies. Where do they go with their children? Onto a busy road? Anyway, were's the parking warden when you need one...?

*Martin*
26-Jan-08, 20:53
I completely agree, TBH, I've frequently encountered problems when in Thurso with the WeeBurdies, although more often than not it's been on Ormlie Road where vans just drive right up onto the (wide) pavement blocking it completely. It's a bust road and it really gets me wild having to push the buggy out onto the road to get past [evil].

Yesterday after I picked the missus' up from college I couldn't get over the amount of parents parked on this pavement waiting for their kids to come out of high school! It's just pure laziness!

Anyway, were's the parking warden when you need one...?

He never seems to be out (although the amount of times I've seen him running errands in police vehicles lately has increased ten fold :confused