PDA

View Full Version : Crowe Family

Rosemary Skea
15-Oct-05, 02:16
My great grand Aunt Catherine Budge married Robert Crowe in 1848.

They had family as follows :

John born 1849, Margaret born 1851, Janet Steven born 1853, Catherine bot=rn 1857, James born 1859, Elizabeth born 1861 and died 1885, Mary born 1864, Robert born 1866 and Andrew born 1871.

I am looking for info on these people, and subsequent generations of the family.

Catherine and Robert are buried at Old Hall in Dunn.

Mamie_2
10-Apr-09, 00:32
Did you find additional information on Robert and his family yet Rosemary?

It just so happens I have been looking at the Crowe family in Caithness. They all seem to be related.

Mamie

Rosemary Skea
10-Apr-09, 03:02
Not a lot on Robert and Catherine but I did find info on Robert's brothers and their families. If you have anything, I would be happy to share the little I have got.

Rosemary

Did you find additional information on Robert and his family yet Rosemary?

It just so happens I have been looking at the Crowe family in Caithness. They all seem to be related.

Mamie

Mamie_2
15-Apr-09, 16:00
hmm I too have more information on his brothers (especially William who was a very successful man it seems) than on Robert and Catherine but this is what I have.

Robert Crow(e) stone mason
You do have his birth information? 1818 Corsback, Dunnet.
Who is the John Crow who is a witness for his birth? a grandparent maybe??

1851 Catherine and John are in Barrock, Dunnet but Robert is where?
CROW Catharine Head M F 26 Mason's Wife Caithness - Dunnet
CROW John Son - M 1 Caithness - Dunnet

1861 in Dunn, Watten with family
CROW Robert Head M M 42 Stone Mason Caithness - Dunnet
CROW Catherine Wife M F 36 Stone Mason's Wife Caithness - Dunnet
CROW John Son - M 11 Son Scholar Caithness - Dunnet
CROW Margaret Dau - F 9 Scholar Caithness - Dunnet
CROW Janet Dau - F 7 Scholar Caithness - Dunnet
CROW Catherine Dau - F 3 - Caithness - Watten
CROW James Son - M 1 - Caithness - Watten

1871 again Robert is not at home in S. Dunn but here is Catherine with some of the children
CROW Caterine Head M F 46 Mason's Wife Caithness - Dunnet
CROW Elizabeth Daur U F 9 Scholar Caithness - Watten
CROW Mary Daur - F 7 Scholar Caithness - Watten Page: 0/23
CROW Robert Son - M 4 - Caithness - Watten

there seems to be another daughter born in 1857?
People > Births
Crow- Mrs Robert (mason) at Lynegar, Watten, a daughter.
John O'Groat Journal Friday, April 24, 1857

Now what kind of project could a mason be working on that he is not home for two of three censuses ? lol.

My connection to the Crow(e) family is through Robert's probable cousin John Crowe 1826 in Halkirk s/o David Crowe and Jean/Jane Campbell. I believe Robert's father John and David are most likley brothers. Do you know if that is true?

David most likely died before 1841 so no death record. Robert's father John died sometime after 1861 and was probably not born in Caithness(1841 census does have Caithness) but I am not sure which county he was actually born in as he was enumerated as being born in Dunotter, Mearnshire in 1851 and Mearnshire in 1861 - Angus or Aberdeen?

"My" John married Grace Flemington and their daughter Catherine a 2C2Xr emoved cousin John Dunnet(t) in 1885 in Inverness.

Mamie

Rosemary Skea
16-Apr-09, 08:25
Robert Crow's parents were John Crow and Janet Stevens and John's parents were John Crow and Joyce Mitchel. I can only find 3 children for John and Joyce. Helen born in Kincardine in 1783 and William born in Olrig in 1792. John's birth is not recorded or at least I haven't found it. Helen married George Durran in 1803 and they moved to Thurso before 1812. In 1821 George was born and one of the witnesses was David Crow " at Holburnhead".
I think that Joyce Mitchel was the local midwife as her name appears frequently as a witness to births in Dunnet.

I also wondered about Robert being absent from home for 2 of the census but I am sure that he was working "south" . In 1851 I think he was in Lanark which is in the Glasgow area. Daughter Margaret had an illegitimate son born in Glasgow in 1885 - it was common for people seeking work to move down to the Edinburgh and Glasgow areas.

If you email me privately with your email address I will send you my Crow file.

Rosemary

Tricia
16-Apr-09, 20:25
My great grand Aunt Catherine Budge married Robert Crowe in 1848.

They had family as follows :

John born 1849, Margaret born 1851, Janet Steven born 1853, Catherine bot=rn 1857, James born 1859, Elizabeth born 1861 and died 1885, Mary born 1864, Robert born 1866 and Andrew born 1871.

I am looking for info on these people, and subsequent generations of the family.

Catherine and Robert are buried at Old Hall in Dunn.

Hi Rosemary.
Hope you are keeping OK.
Is your Catherine Budge a daughter 1824 of James Budge and Margaret Robertson.
and if so have I got the correct Margaret Robertson daugh born 1798 to James Robson and Katherine Dundas which would then take me back to James Dundas and Giles More.
I have been exploring my Caithness MOREs and also keep trying to link My BUDGE Keiss Canisbay Line William Budge and Charlotte Bain m c1759 to the Dunnet BUDGE Lines.

Take Care
Tricia

Mamie_2
16-Apr-09, 23:07
I found John, Robert and David in Kineff and Catterline, Kincardine
parents John Craw and Joyce Mitchell

John Craw ch Nov 17 1785
Robert Craw ch Apr 20 1788 - wonder what happened to him
David Craw ch May 18 1790 so this would be my David

Mamie :D

Rosemary Skea
16-Apr-09, 23:18
Hi Rosemary.
Hope you are keeping OK.
Is your Catherine Budge a daughter 1824 of James Budge and Margaret Robertson.
and if so have I got the correct Margaret Robertsson daugh born 1774 to James Robson and Katherine Dundas which would then take me back to James Dundas and Giles More.
I have been exploring my Caithness MOREs and also keep trying to link My BUDGE Keiss Canisbay Line William Budge and Charlotte Bain m c1759 to the Dunnet BUDGE Lines.

Take Care
Tricia
Yes you are right Tricia. There are birth records for 2 Katharine Dundass - 11/5/1771 born to David Dundass and Janet Cormack. The other 4/1/1774 to James Dundass with no mother named. I think this one could be James and Giles.

If you look at the naming pattern in the family of James Robson and Katharine Dundass, the oldest daughter is Giles which would tell me that Katharine's mother is Giles. Other names which feature in both families are Elizabeth and Ann.

What do you think ? I am going along OK - some days up and some days down as you can imagine.

Rosemary

Rosemary Skea
16-Apr-09, 23:30
I found John, Robert and David in Kineff and Catterline, Kincardine
parents John Craw and Joyce Mitchell

John Craw ch Nov 17 1785
Robert Craw ch Apr 20 1788 - wonder what happened to him
David Craw ch May 18 1790 so this would be my David

Mamie :D

Yes Mamie, well done - didn't think about the alternative spelling. Robert died in 1822. Found him buried in Wick. " Robert Crow, sailor 30.9.1811 22, father John, mother Joyce Mitchell in Dunnet."

Further to my email yesterday, William Crow who was born in Olrig in 1792 was also a sailor but he owned a ship called the William Crow. William died in Hull 5/1/1842 - drowned. I found a newspaper reference to the incident and have asked for the full article which I can email you.

More later.

Rosemary

Mamie_2
16-Apr-09, 23:38
Capt William Crow of the schooner William Crow drowned in late 1841 early 1842.
a native of Dunnet
this is probably John and Joyce's son.
:D :D :D