PDA

View Full Version : Mowat Lane

TBH
24-Jan-08, 12:50
Is it council maintained or is it private? The reason I ask is because of the amount of pot holes in the tarmac pathway. I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before someone has an accident there if it hasn't already happened.

Big hughie
25-Jan-08, 13:30
Mowat lane like the one we used to live on was one of these that when the Caithness Council was put into the Highland region was never "adopted" and I think the ownership remained with the folks who live on the lane
(the same as we were) This was after the council tarring it gritting it sweeping it and putting street lights on it for years
The wee bit out side the house was getting pot holed like Mowat Lane and I in good faith pointed this out to the Council and received a letter back from a Mr Guest which was well "to the point" "curt" or just plain impudent depending on how you read it saying it was nothing to do with the council
As we were moving I didnt persue it but I beleive it is the councils responsiblity as they had resurfaced and maintained these lanes in the past
Beegggg Hugheeeeeeeeeeee

TBH
25-Jan-08, 14:51
Cheers for the info Hughie. It is starting to look like nothing can be done about it. I'd take some gravel and fill them temporarily myself but someone would probably have an accident at that point and I'd be responsible:confused

Big hughie
25-Jan-08, 17:31
I would not say that nothing can be done As I said if we were not moving from the old house I was going to get a hold of Jamie Stone or any of the other MSPs to get something done As it like Mowat lane is a right of way then it cant be blocked off but the Council have some liability as they tarred and street lit the lane also they sanded it in winter
What annoyed be most of all was the letter we got back from the Council department as I had been only trying to be a responsible citizen
Its a pity I have not kept the letter as I could have posted it here ...mind you it probably would have put off anyone trying to report anything to the Council again
Beeg Hugheeeeeeeeeee