PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Taxi Parking

Cattach
24-Jan-08, 11:08
In the discussion on parking in Thurso I see that Bert MacLeod is complaining about cars parking in the Taxi rank. That is a bit rich from a former taxi driver. Taxis park blocking the traffic lights at the Central Hotel and still worse they block access across the road at the drop kerb at the Co-op dispite having their own taxi area marked off a few yards further away. Occasionally cars park in the rank area but more often than not it is free empty when taxis park on the raod by the pedestrian crossing area suitable for prams and wheelchairs.

And while on the Co-op car park, why do some mototists park on the access roads round inside of the parking area when there is space in car park. Answer - laziness to walk an extra 50 yards to park.

Max
24-Jan-08, 11:12
[QUOTE=Cattach;328472]In the discussion on parking in Thurso I see that Bert MacLeod is complaining about cars parking in the Taxi rank. That is a bit rich from a former taxi driver.

He isn't a "former" taxi driver - as far as I know he is still a taxi driver.

Penelope Pitstop
24-Jan-08, 11:15
I don't mind the co-op supermarket, but the car park does my head in.

Why don't they get a system there that only folk who are shopping there can park there....I would shop there more often, but opt to go somewhere that I can actually get parked.!!!

Cattach
24-Jan-08, 11:47
[QUOTE=Cattach;328472]In the discussion on parking in Thurso I see that Bert MacLeod is complaining about cars parking in the Taxi rank. That is a bit rich from a former taxi driver.

He isn't a "former" taxi driver - as far as I know he is still a taxi driver.

OK he potters about at it a bit!!

Max
24-Jan-08, 11:49
[QUOTE=Max;328477]

OK he potters about at it a bit!!

........................ :)

Cattach
24-Jan-08, 11:52

Why don't they get a system there that only folk who are shopping there can park there....I would shop there more often, but opt to go somewhere that I can actually get parked.!!!

You may be right about the Co-op carpark but in this posting my main concern is the comments by Bertie regarding Taxis and the taxi rank. As I said, it is hardly credible that a taxi driver, former or present, would criticise other motorists' parking when you see the total disregard some (many?) have for other motorists and pedestrians.

henry20
24-Jan-08, 11:53

As far as I am aware, the co-op car park isn't owned by the co-op, but is a council car park - I may be wrong though.

Also, I am sure there was a request made that the first space at central was reserved for taxi pick up/drop off, but this was declined - it does seem to be a popular drop off point as it is convenient to town centre for those that aren't able to walk far.

I agree that the parking in co-op is shocking and often see drivers struggling to get out of a legitimate parking space because some idiot abandons their car where they shouldn't - and they'd be the first to fly off the handle if their car got pranged!

*Martin*
24-Jan-08, 12:00
One lunch time I was in a rush so I stopped in the Taxi Rank to go to Robins with my brother. A Taxi driver pulled up beeping the horn and sticking his fingers up at me as I was crossing the road. So I walked back to my car and opened the door, stuck my hazard lights on and waved as I crossed back over to Robins.

Taxi drivers will stop anywhere and think it's fine as long as they have their hazards on! Why should I have to live by different rules?

Re: The COOP car park, It's shocking how bad it is there. What really gets me is when people don't bother parking in a bay. They just stop at the side bits near them instead! If they aren't capable of parking in a bay they shouldn't be in there! It also gets my goat when people park along the double yellows between Y Not and the COOP! It's hard enough kids across there at the best of times!

Make me traffic warden for a week and I'll rid the town of scummy parkers :lol:

Cattach
24-Jan-08, 12:06
One lunch time I was in a rush so I stopped in the Taxi Rank to go to Robins with my brother. A Taxi driver pulled up beeping the horn and sticking his fingers up at me as I was crossing the road. So I walked back to my car and opened the door, stuck my hazard lights on and waved as I crossed back over to Robins.

Taxi drivers will stop anywhere and think it's fine as long as they have their hazards on! Why should I have to live by different rules?

Re: The COOP car park, It's shocking how bad it is there. What really gets me is when people don't bother parking in a bay. They just stop at the side bits near them instead! If they aren't capable of parking in a bay they shouldn't be in there! It also gets my goat when people park along the double yellows between Y Not and the COOP! It's hard enough kids across there at the best of times!

Make me traffic warden for a week and I'll rid the town of scummy parkers :lol:

You are dead right with all your points.

Regarding a comment in an earlier poting about stopping at the Central, I would have no objection if it was for the benefit of people unable to walk far for whatever reason. Unfortuneatly it is seldom the case. No matter who is being carried or picked up the Taxi just stops at the door and blocks the lights. 20 yards further back would be no hardlship for most passengers and would be less disruptive and safer for peole going on their way on the A9.

fatmaggie9
24-Jan-08, 13:19
Ma tells me she actually saw a taxi driver indicating whilst turning into a road! She gets fed up of having to take avoiding action crossing junctions when a prat in a taxi turns into road being crossed & not giving way to pedestrians as per Highway Code.

Agree they are prats re stopping in the most stupid places.

jings00
24-Jan-08, 16:44
disny stop the taxi drivers parking in disabled bays, especially the one in princess st, down from the rank (thurso). harbour are pretty good/bad at this.also annoys me when they sit outside peepin their horn, in the wee small hours, cos they are waitin for a fare. ok the fare should be ready to go, but driver is too lazy to get off his butt and knock on the door.

theone
24-Jan-08, 17:44

I've said this before.

When the old brewery was knocked down Thurso had the golden opportunity to create a large car park in the centre of town.

Instead they crammed in houses.........

northener
24-Jan-08, 20:07
Ma tells me she actually saw a taxi driver indicating whilst turning into a road! She gets fed up of having to take avoiding action crossing junctions when a prat in a taxi turns into road being crossed & not giving way to pedestrians as per Highway Code.

Agree they are prats re stopping in the most stupid places.

Not all Taxi drivers fall into this category, Fatmaggie. I think you'll find that your concerns apply to a broad spectrum of drivers.

Moby
24-Jan-08, 20:20
Why is it when you don't need a taxi there are masses of them parked down Princes Street but then when you do there are none?:lol:

I haven't had any cause to gripe about the taxis...so far... but what is going on with some of the bus drivers just now - think some of them have been on the RedBull for breakfast the way they pull out on you.

Max
24-Jan-08, 23:30
[QUOTE=jings00;328642]disny stop the taxi drivers parking in disabled bays, especially the one in princess st, down from the rank (thurso). harbour are pretty good/bad at this.

I'm nothing to do with Harbour but maybe they are parked there cause folk seem to think it is ok to park on the rank to go to the chip shop and there is no room on the rank. I personally think the council either have to make the rank bigger (not smaller as they recently did) or limit the number of taxis that they licence.