PDA

View Full Version : roads and pot holes

sphinx
23-Jan-08, 23:33
I think its about time the council filled in some of the pot holes around town and to do something with the stretch of road as you go out to Homebase.
I am fed up of bouncing along this part of road its not doing my suspension any good . im sure the council wouldnt face our bills if we passed the repairs onto them.:~(

donnasmithy27
23-Jan-08, 23:43
I agree !! they also need to look at the roads around Thurso their is holes everywhere. They are getting worse , Our poor cars :(

Geo
24-Jan-08, 00:14
The bit near Homebase/Lidls is bad. You see people making sudden last second manoeuvres to avoid the bumps. Not the safest.

Julia
24-Jan-08, 00:15
They did fix a wee bit of that road, it's not quite as bad as it was but it's still awful. There's quite a big dip right on the junction as you turn into the retail park, I always try to avoid it but it ain't easy!

sphinx
24-Jan-08, 00:50
itz a good job your not scared of heights way size off some off that pot holes a round lol

Rourkee
24-Jan-08, 14:00
I think its about time the council filled in some of the pot holes around town and to do something with the stretch of road as you go out to Homebase.
I am fed up of bouncing along this part of road its not doing my suspension any good . im sure the council wouldnt face our bills if we passed the repairs onto them.:~(

It wasn't the council that dug the road up so why can't they make the company that did (Scottish Water I think) return it to its original condition?

Phoebus_Apollo
24-Jan-08, 14:10
The road you refer to is all trunk road from the crossroad traffic lights up to homebase and beyond - and Transerve have the contract for that.

concerned resident
24-Jan-08, 20:28
Trench has sunk right across road in Thurso, just on corner at Pennyland Garage, so be aware as it is a real spring braker. Been like it for several days.
Transerve bad service, as they are paid to care for the road.

octane
24-Jan-08, 20:45
If any damage occurs to your vehicle make sure you get photos of the offending bit of road because as soon as you put a claim in they will repair it and plead ignorant and say your lying.

Put tracking reciepts, alloy damage claims etc all with evidence etc and the council coughs up as ive done this for years and more people should do the same

quiteone
24-Jan-08, 21:54
its bad enough in the car its one hundred times worse on a motorbike!! wasnt that stretch of road dug up 2 or 3 times??

JAWS
25-Jan-08, 04:48
Waste money fixing pot-holes in Caithness? Don't be silly, Inverness needs to spend all the money on their new Southern Link Road.
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2007/March/2007-03-15-02.htm

Highland Laddie
25-Jan-08, 11:58
Waste money fixing pot-holes in Caithness? Don't be silly, Inverness needs to spend all the money on their new Southern Link Road.
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2007/March/2007-03-15-02.htm

Or even £300,000.00 on stupid fireworks, think how many holes that could have filled.:(

Big hughie
25-Jan-08, 13:52
Or even £300,000.00 on stupid fireworks, think how many holes that could have filled.:(

That was obsene at a time when they are taking away money away from Caithness

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3862/Councillor_slams_transfer_of_Caithness_Fund.html

Beeg Hugheeeeeeeeeeeee

Tighsonas4
25-Jan-08, 14:01
hi re pot holes
for years there was a man employed to do nothing else but check the whole county to ensure that whoever dug up the road kept it reinstated .
whats become of this procedure??? tony

Mik.M.
25-Jan-08, 15:13
I worked for a civil engineering firm down south,on a Transco contract. When holes were reinstated people used to inspect them,if they were not up to standard then the gang that did the job ,had to go back and do the job properly or they would not be paid for it . Worked everytime.Seems no one from the companies cares up here.

sphinx
25-Jan-08, 16:00
well like i said its a disgrace the state of the roads in caithness at the moment and all our council tax money is staying in inverness we were better of when we had our own council budget

DIH
25-Jan-08, 16:03
The men who work for the council roads department seem to be getting a lot of grief in this post. Its the big boys in Wick and Inverness who decide what they do not them. They have to follow their bosses instructions like everyone else.

Its not only potholes they repair, they have a lot of other jobs to do throughout the year. At this time of year they are busy gritting the roads to make them safer for us to drive on. There would be a lot more accidents on the roads if they weren't there. I think they do a great job.

NickInTheNorth
25-Jan-08, 16:08
Its not only potholes they maintain,

Sorry to butcher your post and take a wee bit totally out of context, but I just couldn't resist.

I'd not realised that there were folks specifically maintaining potholes, I thought they were supposed to repair them. Still that explains the state of the roads. [lol]:lol:

As to your real point, I would certainly agree with you that in general it is a management problem, not a workforce problem. They simply do what they are told with the materials, equipment and time allowed.

Cattach
25-Jan-08, 16:13
The men who work for the council roads department seem to be getting a lot of grief in this post. Its the big boys in Wick and Inverness who decide what they do not them. They have to follow their bosses instructions like everyone else.

Its not only potholes they repair, they have a lot of other jobs to do throughout the year. At this time of year they are busy gritting the roads to make them safer for us to drive on. There would be a lot more accidents on the roads if they weren't there. I think they do a great job.

I do not blame 'those on the ground'. It is those in charge but that does not invalidate the very accurate description of the condition of our local roads.

The winter work this year has not been onerous but in any event some of those potholes have been around for two or more summers and are now getting to the point where they are very dangerous indeed.

DIH
25-Jan-08, 16:30
Thanks Nick of the North for pointing out my bad grammar but I had already noticed it and was in the process of changing it when you replied.

I agree with you Cattach, some of the roads are in a dreadful state and have been like that for ages. I think the more people who complain to the council and Transerve about the state of them, then the chance of getting them repaired will be higher. The big bosses from the council and Transerve might finally start spending some money in the county for a change.

Tighsonas4
25-Jan-08, 21:29
re roads
if a contractor was to open a road he had first to obtain a permit.
after completion it was there responsibility to make good the re instinment
for three months and as already stated it could be measured and if not up
to standard they were brought back.potholes of course dosent come into
this category but can still break springs
residents in thurso road have been complaining bitterly for ages with no success regards tony