PDA

View Full Version : Button collecting

highlander
23-Jan-08, 17:50
Does anyone on here collect buttons, i found in my mums old button box fresh water pearl buttons, wondering if they were worth anything, that only leaves another 545 to get rid off. LOL
Anyone else into collecting things?

ashaw1
23-Jan-08, 17:58
My gran used to collect buttons. I have very fond memories as a child sitting with her looking through it. We would sit and look through the tin for hours. She could probably name every single garment each button came from.

coastown
23-Jan-08, 18:01
My mum had a button bag and a button box,there was every kind of button you could think of, all shapes and sizes dont know what happened to it though, i must ask her,you have got me wondering now :confused

highlander
23-Jan-08, 18:06
Aye it does take me back thinking of the garments she used to wear and how everything got its uses, old elastic, cuffs, i found sewing patterns they must be dated back to early 50s, oh what lovely bonnie dresses we wore when we were bairns. LOL

Angela
23-Jan-08, 18:09
highlander, I've had a button box for over thirty years, and I'm not all that old.....:eek:

I quite often take the buttons off a cheap garment and put on more attractive ones from my box -and if an old dress or cardi is only fit for the bin but has nice buttons, I cut them off and keep them in my box. :D

veekay
23-Jan-08, 19:35
What a relief I thought I was alone. So glad I am not. I have my Nans old buttons to and I can't help myself if I see a box of buttons I have to have a rummage.

cuddlepop
23-Jan-08, 19:40
Does anyone on here collect buttons, i found in my mums old button box fresh water pearl buttons, wondering if they were worth anything, that only leaves another 545 to get rid off. LOL
Anyone else into collecting things?

You've brought back some lovely memories of playing with the button box.
I loved looking at all the different buttons mum had collected over the years.
She's still got them somewhere but stopped taking them off clothes years ago because the buttons are dull and boring now.
I started to collect buttons from old clothes but somehow it wasn't the same.:confused

Bobinovich
23-Jan-08, 19:44
LOL I mind my mum having a button box - I can also remember raking through it wondering who on earth would wear some of them (some were boggin'!).

As devoted non-brand wearers, if an important button comes off something thesedays then, depending on the garment, the particular item of clothing is usually consigned to the rag pile.

Ah, the joys of a throwaway society...

justine
23-Jan-08, 19:45
i used to collect perfume bottles. Never liked the smell of perfume but the bottles are lovely.Need to start all over again as they went years ago...

STUDMUFFIN
23-Jan-08, 19:52
Ebay Have A Listing For Buttons So It Might Be Worth Having A Look.

Dadie
23-Jan-08, 19:54
my mum has a button box (think its grown to two now) and we used to have fun raking through it as kids some of the buttons were special like the shiny glass ones but most were ordinary but handy incase of lost buttons but now she is knitting Lauren lots of cardis she seems to be buying more buttons than using the ones up she already has:D

highlander
23-Jan-08, 20:07
Dadie maybe you should fish them out, i love the bakelite ones.

Lavenderblue2
23-Jan-08, 20:08
Yes I have a button box collected over 42 years of marriage - all sorts, all hold a memory including the ladybird buttons which used to be on the Ladybird dressing gowns. My two always had these d/gowns, one red and one blue.

My nan had a great button box - my sister and I loved to play with them on winters nights putting them into pairs or more if they were there and seeing who got the most groups of buttons. The only thing was - we didn't like the smell in the tin!!
Playstations - who needs them - :lol:

Don't throw out your buttons Highlander.

I put empty perfume bottles (YSL 'Y') unlidded into my underwear/ nightwear drawers Justine mmm lovely smell.

LB

karia
23-Jan-08, 20:13
Yes I have a button box collected over 42 years of marriage - all sorts, all hold a memory including the ladybird buttons which used to be on the Ladybird dressing gowns. My two always had these d/gowns, one red and one blue.LB

Thanks Lavenderblue, I had a red ladybird dressing gown when I was little and had completely forgotten it until I read your post ...took me right back!:)

highlander
23-Jan-08, 20:14
We could have a game of tiddllywinks. lol

justine
23-Jan-08, 20:16
We could have a game of tiddllywinks. lol

Or you could all get together with your buttons and go for a World record for the largest button collection in scotland......I am sure people would donate alot of buttons....

Dadie
23-Jan-08, 20:40
can you imagine how to sort them all out we used to sort them by colour then size then shape ( mum had square ones, umbrella shaped ones and yellow duck shaped ones) if you chose blue ones you always had the most but the boring flat ones!

twiglet
23-Jan-08, 20:48
I have a button jar. I inherited a sewing box from my great uncle with a lot of buttons and already had my own collection. I have fond memories of looking through my gran's button box with it's collection of old coins and co-op coupon coins mixed in with the buttons.

Dadie
23-Jan-08, 20:48
I used to love the stories behind each button where it came fron what it was on and where it was worn as a child too some of the fancy buttons were my grannys originally but i even liked the stories about the buttons that were on my own baby clothes or my mums fave pair of jeans.

wifie
23-Jan-08, 21:06
I hold my hands up - I too have a button box like my mum and nana before me. Just seemed something I had to do. I do occasionally use them to replace a lost button but not often. My daughter likes to rumage through them but unfortunately I rarely remember what they came off.